Reassurance/Advice Please

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to he910
I am 24 years old and my husband and I started trying to get pregnant back in October - in December we were THRILLED to see a positive pregnancy test after missing my period. However the day after we got a positive, I started bleeding, my Hcg level was a low 39 so once the doctor so that and I was bleeding he told us what that meant and it ended in a miscarriage. I was as early in the pregnancy as possible and the doctor said that I was young and that the next one would hopefully be fine.

We started trying again in February and I have been very regular since the miscarriage so when I was late this Sunday I took a test and it was positive!!! I went to the doctor the next day and my blood level was 131 - then 2 days later it rose up to 412 which the doctor said is a great sign. I have my first appointment June 2nd!!!! Because of my last pregnancy ending in miscarriage, I am VERY nervous about this one. I am really only between 4-5 weeks from what I've read so I'm wondering when I am supposed to experience morning sickness, etc. I guess I'm waiting for sure signs that everything is fine (which I know is impossible) but I just need some kind of reassurance. Any advice would be great - I want this to be a healthy pregnancy and baby so badly.

Thanks!!

<span style="color:#333399">JACK MATTHEW BORN NOVEMBER 25TH AT 4:39PM WEIGHING 7LBS 11OZ, 20.5 INCHES

[/url]
May 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a miscarriage, then went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies (and one adoption!!) And I didn't get pregnant until I was 40, so I'm pretty sure you're way ahead of me in that department!!

Hang in there!!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
May 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your good thoughts - I'm a big worrier now (actually always have been) and I'm going to drive my husband crazy with my concerns since he's the only one I can talk to being we haven't told people of course. I really wanted to find a message board where I could talk to other women who have gone through similar experiences. It really helps alot. Thanks and keep your fingers crossed for us!

<span style="color:#333399">JACK MATTHEW BORN NOVEMBER 25TH AT 4:39PM WEIGHING 7LBS 11OZ, 20.5 INCHES

[/url]
May 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
Hello and congrats! Feel free to drive us crazy with your concerns.lol That is what we are here for. I think your dr is right. You probably have a great chance of having a normal prgnancy this time around. Good luck! BTW morning sickness is around 6-8 weeks I think.
May 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Hello! I had a miscarriage last June. I got pregnant again in September. Like you I was scared to death. So I did not dwell on the pregnancy much at all or get excited about it at all. I tried to put it completely out of my mind until the first appt which was weeks after I found out. And I was a constant toilet paper watcher looking for any spot of blood. I think that is all very natural. Morning sickness does not usually set in until between weeks 6-8, so its actually pretty early yet. And some women don't get it at all. I didn't have my first exam until the 9th week. They were being nice, its usually not until around week 12. And I held my breath until they found that heartbeat. It wasn't until week 16 that I began to think this was actually going to happen. Once the kicking started then the thoughts of another loss pretty much left me. Everything you are feeling is very normal after a loss. We lose our innocence when we lose a baby and we worry about every symptom we have and don't have. Try to relax, stastics are in your favor. Miscarriages are actually extremely common. I didn't know how much until I had one, and the majority of those do go on to have healthy pregnancies. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope all turns out well, and chances are pretty good that it will.
May 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by linda11567@May 13 2005, 08:47 PM
Hello! I had a miscarriage last June. I got pregnant again in September. Like you I was scared to death. So I did not dwell on the pregnancy much at all or get excited about it at all. I tried to put it completely out of my mind until the first appt which was weeks after I found out. And I was a constant toilet paper watcher looking for any spot of blood. I think that is all very natural. Morning sickness does not usually set in until between weeks 6-8, so its actually pretty early yet. And some women don't get it at all. I didn't have my first exam until the 9th week. They were being nice, its usually not until around week 12. And I held my breath until they found that heartbeat. It wasn't until week 16 that I began to think this was actually going to happen. Once the kicking started then the thoughts of another loss pretty much left me. Everything you are feeling is very normal after a loss. We lose our innocence when we lose a baby and we worry about every symptom we have and don't have. Try to relax, stastics are in your favor. Miscarriages are actually extremely common. I didn't know how much until I had one, and the majority of those do go on to have healthy pregnancies. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope all turns out well, and chances are pretty good that it will.*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

[/url]
May 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey I dont know why my other message just had Linda's answer - but I wanted to thank you Linda and everyone else for their good thoughts, prayers and advice. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful its been to have this board to go to. Like you said Linda, its nerve wracking worrying about what symptons I do or don't have. I'm trying to think positive and that everything is fine but I guess thats hard to do after a m/c. All there is for me to do is hope and pray that everything will be fine. Just out of curiosity at what point are you able to hear a heartbeat?

[/url]
May 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
it will take a while to hear the heartbeat, but they will be able to see the heartbeat as early as 5 weeks or so

i went for an ultrasound at about 6 1/2 weeks and they could see the heartbeat

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 14th, 2005, 01:57 PM
mama_2c_1m_4p_curpreg1
he910, I know how you feel and where you are coming from. I just turned 24 and I have two children 4 and 3, but on Nov. 12th, 2004 I found out that we were expecting #3. I had been working a lot and was very tired plus I wasn't able to get into a doctor. I ended up in the ER on Nov.19th, 04 with slight pain in my side, needless to say they did a series of test. When they took me for a u/s I was nervous and excited, I could tell on the Tech. face that something wasn't right, she had the nerve to tell me that it was routine for her supervisor to check everything. She went to get him along with the ER doctor, so when 3 ppl walked in I knew something was not right, after she had showed them what she was looking at on screen. The Er doc. wheeled me out and was talking to the supervisor just a few steps away. They thought I knew what was going on but I had no clue just how serious it was until the ER doc stopped in the middle of the hall before we got back to my room and told me that they could not find the baby and would have to do surgery. OMG i started bawling my eyes out, well I had emergency surgery ASAP turns out that the baby attached to my left ovary instead so they had to remove the pregnancy along with my ovary. I was so scared to get pregnant again, turns out though a couple months later I was pregnant again. I told my dh that I was scared and what happens if the baby dies again. I wanted a appointment everyday but in reality that wasn't possible, they did have me come in every week for the first 2 months to make sure everything is well. I was/am so scared that something still can happen even though I just hit the half way mark. It never really leaves your thoughts about what if. Just wanted to say I know what you are going through and I feel your pain and worrysome. good luck to you and your baby.
May 15th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by he910@May 14 2005, 10:57 AM
Hey I dont know why my other message just had Linda's answer - but I wanted to thank you Linda and everyone else for their good thoughts, prayers and advice.* I can't even begin to tell you how helpful its been to have this board to go to.* Like you said Linda, its nerve wracking worrying about what symptons I do or don't have.* I'm trying to think positive and that everything is fine but I guess thats hard to do after a m/c.* All there is for me to do is hope and pray that everything will be fine.* Just out of curiosity at what point are you able to hear a heartbeat?
[/quote]

That really depends on how good your doc is and their doppler. Usually its around 12, though I know some have found it at 10. I begged for an ultrasound at that 9 weeks appt though. She wasn't going to do it, but I have twins and a miscarriage and I really needed to know how many were in there and if there was a heartbeat, so she caved. She didn't even try to find the heartbeat with the doppler. I was suppose to see a dr but she was out so I saw a midwife instead and after she started the ultrasound I found out why she didn't want to do it. She had had a total 2 weeks training on it and didn't have a clue how to use the thing. She did go get a dr though so they did find the heartbeat, but boy it was nerve racking.
May 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can only imagine how nerve wracking that first appointment will be - I guess when I go I will be about 8 weeks so I didn't really know what I would find out there. I guess I'm hoping I will get some kind of reassurance at that visit even though I know it won't make me stop worrying!!! I'm not really sure what to expect at that first visit or if they do an ultrasound and can see if everything looks good so far. Thanks again for writing.

[/url]
May 15th, 2005, 06:02 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I also know hpw you are feeling.I had a mc at 8 1/2 weeks in september. It was crushing. We got pg again in jan. Linda said it very well. when you lose a chilt to mc you lose your innocence about the whole thing too. I so wanted to just be pg again because I thought that it would make everything better. I am thrilled to be pg again, but was surprised at how I still grieved our first pg loss. I guess I didn't realize the attatchment was that strong. I was extremely pessimistic through the whole first trimester this time. I was totally a TP watcher until like three weeks ago, and sometimes I still find myself checking ot the TP. Well, so far everything has gone beautifully this time despite all of my negativity. I can feel our baby moving right now as I write this. It does get better as the pregnancy progresses. Just hang in there (((((hugs))))) you're likely to have a successful time of it this time around!

May 16th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ask them if its possible to get an ultrasound since you have miscarried before and you really need to know that there is a heartbeat. If they won't do it, then ask if you can monitor your hcg. Its just a blood test, but it should close to double every 2-3 days, so you will need to have it drawn at least twice. The number itself doesn't mean much. Its the doubling of it or close to doubling of it that does. I bet they'll do an ultrasound though.
May 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks to everyone for writing - I really dont think I'm going to stop worrying! I think you are all right and I will call my doctors office and see if when I go for my first appointment if they will be doing an ultrasound and if they didn't plan on it if they can. Just out of curiosity, after you miscarried - and then got pregnant again how far in did your doctor see you? They checked my blood and Hcg right away and when they saw that it pretty much tripled between 48 hours they said it looked great but my appointment isn't until June 2nd which means (knock on wood) I'd be about 8 weeks by then - is it wierd that they are waiting so long to see me?? Hope everyone is doing good!

[/url]
May 17th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I had a miscarriage on feb 10th at 10 weeks pregnant. I had started spotting and they did an us....no heartbeat. I was devastated. The doctor gave me progesterone pills to take the next time I got pregnant just in case....I got pregnant right away and am 7+wks pregnant right now. The hcg level did not double as it should have and my progesterone level was low (I had not started taking the pills yet) and I was terrified of another miscarriage. Since I was so freaked out, they did an us at 6wks and everything looked ok. I go back for another us next week. I live in fear of not seeing a heartbeat on the monitor. I also check the TP every time I go to the bathroom. I don't have an actual dr appt until 10 wks (1st one). I am trying my best to be calm and know that I am doing everything possible, but it is so hard.
Thank you for this message board. It is so helpful to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through! I wish I had known about it last time!
K
May 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
K - I know its not a board anyone wants to join but I agree its great to have the support of other women who have gone through the same thing. I'm sorry to hear about your past experience but I hope that this pregnancy goes 100 times better for you - I will keep my fingers crossed. Everyone says to remain calm but it is almost impossible to do that after a past bad experience.

I got my doctors office to move up my first appointment by 1 week because I'm just way to nervous to wait - so now I'm going May 27th which is next Friday. I figure I'm around 5 weeks and while I'm alittle queasy I have no other symptoms so I'm nervous after m/c last time. I hope and pray everything is good this time. I made them schedule a scan for me also next week but I'm not sure what they'll be able to see. I just want to see an actual doctor rather then talking to nurses!

Good luck to you!!

[/url]
May 17th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by linda11567@May 16 2005, 02:46 AM
Ask them if its possible to get an ultrasound since you have miscarried before and you really need to know that there is a heartbeat. If they won't do it, then ask if you can monitor your hcg. Its just a blood test, but it should close to double every 2-3 days, so you will need to have it drawn at least twice. The number itself doesn't mean much. Its the doubling of it or close to doubling of it that does. I bet they'll do an ultrasound though.
[/quote]

Just spoke to the doctor and they moved my appointment up from June 2nd to May 27th for me (a week earlier!) so I'm thrilled about that. I asked about an ultrasound and she said they will do a scan (is that the same thing??) These terms are all new to me!!

[/url]
May 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Super Mommy
I had two miscarriages before I finally had my first baby six weeks ago. Like you, my hcg levels never got very high with my first two pregnancies. With the last two pregnancies I was terrified. My docs closely watched my hcg levels from very early on. It was so awful waiting for those phone calls every other day with the results. I made it through and have a wonderful baby boy and had a pretty fun and uneventful pregnancy.

With my 3rd pregnancy I saw the heartbeat - with an abdominal ultrasound - at 6 weeks. That's very early to see anything without a vaginal ultrasound. That's how I knew he was a fighter and a keeper. And then we could see the actual little baby at my 9 week ultrasound. I heard the heartbeat on a doppler at 13 weeks.

The morning sickness didn't really kick in until 6 weeks - and then I really wanted it to go away! But I had other symptoms like vaginal discharge, sore breasts and tiredness.

It sounds like your hcgs are moving right along! Good luck! I think you'll be fine this time!!
May 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I just wanted to say goodluck, and I hope all goes well! You seem like a very strong lady! ((hugs))

And BTW, I didn't get a drop of morning sickness this whole pregnancy, and I'm fine, so don't get nervous if you don't get it! lol Be thankful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search