Short Cervix+Contractions=Hospital Stay UPDATED

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a dr appt on Wednesday to get my cervix checked. Two weeks ago I was measuring 24mm and on Wednesday it was 17mm. Not good. However, I was not dialated at all, which is good. So, I was sent across the street to be admitted. My contractions were 6-7 minutes apart at that time and painful. I had to breathe thru them.

So, I was put on Cylotec I believe to stop the contractions. It is a 12 hr oral med that is given for 2 days. I just took my last pill this morning. I have gotten my two steriod shots to strengthen baby's lungs. I passed my glucose and Group B strep test. It is amazing how fast those tests come at you when something like this happens.

So, where do we go from here. I am in the hospital until Monday on COMPLETE BEDREST. I cannot even go for a wheelchair ride. I can get up and go to the bathroom though. I am still having contractions, but the are about 30 min apart and not as strong as they were when I was first admitted. They will continute to monitor my contractions thru out the weekend to see if they come back or if the will stay away. On Monday I have another cervix check. Based upon that number it will be determined what happens to me. They are talking about sending me home that day if possible. But I will be on some form of bedrest.

As far as baby goes, the peanut is moving like a champ. Feels like somersaults in there. Baby is head down, so we don't have to worry about that if I do end up going into labor.

************UPDATE************

Everything was going great till Friday afternoon. Started getting contractions really low.....So, they put the monitor on me and called the dr.

Dr came in, checked my cervix. On Wed. I was not dialated, but on Friday I was dialated to about 1. So, they give me a shot to stop contrax's right away (made me real shaky, and didn't work real well) and I was headed down to L&D. In L&D, contrax's continued, every 2-3 minutes. Onto to magnesium sulfate. The initial dose is the worst and I had a mild reaction with only hot flashes. It wasn't too bad. Contrax's finally started to calm down.

Down in L&D they did do a scan of baby, with a really OLD machine. Clarity was not there, but they could do measurements. Good news was that baby is still measuring 9 days ahead and weighed 1215 grams (about 2.6 lbs). So, we were happy about that!!!

So, about 1am I was put back in my old room, IV in place w/mag sulfate. I am going to have a steady drip for 2 more days of the mag sulfate. Hopefully I do not start contracting again.

We are still trying to keep the little peanut in my belly. Not sure if it is going to work or not, but I keep trying to tell peanut taht this would be the best place for him/her.

Still need prayers.....Thanks for all the well wishes. I know that I am getting very good care and that I am in the best place possible. Bed rest does suck, but I know in the end will be well worth it.

Right now I am 26 weeks. Dr's are hoping to get me to 28 weeks and I am hoping for 30 weeks. Everyday that baby is in the womb is one day better for him/her. Dr did tell me that there is a very little chance that I will go full term. So, we will probably end up w/a baby in NICU. The neonatalolgist (1 or 8) on hand, came and talked w/us yesterday and explained what to expect if we deliver early. The hospital that I am in is connected to a children's hospital, so I am very thankful for that. The NICU dr put some of my fears to rest as to what was going to happen if I did deliver.

I will try to update every day if possible. The hospital has a computer that we can use everyday if we want so today is my first shot at it.

Please keep us in your prayers. As much as I want to meet my little baby, I can wait a few more weeks.

Amy

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

September 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I will keep you and your baby in my prayers.
tell that little bean to hang in there just a little loger.
stay on bedrest as much as possible it will all be worth it at the end.

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
September 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh hun, I'm sorry to hear this. But there is still much hope. Many many women with shortened cervix go full term on bedrest or modified rest. A gal in my DDC just had her baby full term and she was on br since 20 weeks!

There's a good site for IC support via msngroups. Check it out. You aren't alone and there are many stories of hope there.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
September 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
nmbatey's Avatar Regular
I am praying for you - I can't imagine what bedrest must be like, but you hang in there!!!!

September 29th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
You've got my prayers!

September 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hugs and prayers and keep that peanut in there, hun!!!
September 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Ethans_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cervix was short with both of my pregnancies starting at 20 weeks, and I was dialting too. With Ethan I held on til 35 weeks and with leah I made it to 38, so you just never know!
Ethan was in the NICU for 8 days and that was not fun leaving him there, but I knew he was getting the care he needed and wouldnt want it any other way. Not to mention he came home on the best schedule!!! Eating only every 3-4 hours, as a new mom I was very grateful for that!
Just take it easy and keep us posted, I am doing the "stay put baby dance" and you will be in my prayers!

<div align='center'> </div>
</div>
October 1st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just read the update... Good Luck, Amy! I'll be praying for you and your baby. I'm glad the docs could put some fears to rest. Just try to relax and let those nurses wait on you a bit.

Agatha Christie</span>
October 1st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Best of luck to you. i'm praying for you and your peanut.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

October 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
mrs_catty_marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I will be praying for both of you!

[/url

Ectopic Pregnancy 01/30/06. One tube wonder!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search