Low Progesterone

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Starstryder's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all

I am new on the boards and am hoping to be here for the duration of my pregnancy

I had a m/c almost two years ago and this is the first time since then that I have gotten pregnant. All seemed well and then two days ago I started bleeding..initially streaks of old blood and then red blood. I went to my doc the following morning and the gestational sack was in place good size and form but underneath it is a small pocket of blood. My doc seems to think it might be bad but could be implantation blood that hasn't made its way out. I am hoping and praying for the latter...

He sent me for some blood tests and this morning he phoned me with the news that my progesterone lvls are low 32.3 instead of the 36 that it should be at this point (I am five weeks 4 days along). The bleeding has stopped and it is now spotting with brown blood. I am on an oral progesterone supplement but he says I should be prepared for the worst.

Has anyone had a succesful pregnancy with low progesterone levels?

ps : sorry about essay but am rather nervous at this point....

May 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
Wow I would be nervous too. I really dont know anything about progesterone levels but I am hoping the best for you. Please keep us updated.
May 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM
FerrariAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to FerrariAngel
I'm glad you've asked this....I've been watching since you posted to check if you get an answer. I mc in april and I believe it is because of low progesterone. I usually have to "jumpstart" AF b/c she won't come on her own....I hate doing it b/c I feel like I should be able to do it on my own, but the progesterone levels are just too low to get anything done very often!

Hopefully someone has an answer for us!!!! Thanks for you question! You read my mind!
<div align="center"><iframe src = "http://w2.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketstrip&featurena me=Us&pa=/y26/FerrariAngel/" height = 140 width = 425 border='0' frameborder='0' ></iframe>

</div>
May 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi! I am new also. I had a miscarriage feb 10th and got pregnant almost immediately. I found out I had low progesterone at my pregnancy test and was put on the pills and I also had the spot of "fluid" right next to the baby at my 6wk appt/US (which they did because I was sooo freaked out). They didn't really tell me either way if I should worry or not. I go back for another US on tues. I will be 8wks 5days along at that point. I pray I can email you back and say everything is fine
Keri
May 20th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Hello ladies

Thanks for all the responses, I am hoping and praying that we all do well and that the little ones are thriving.

I hope a nice and relaxing weekend for all of us, full of the good symptoms.

May 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Hi! I just wanted to add that although I didn't have low progesterone levels I have met several women on this board and other pregnancy after loss boards who have. Patty, the owner of this board, had 3 miscarriages and then insisted on being put on progesterone. She went on to have 3 successful pregnancies and is on her fourth pregnancy and there are many more success stories out there. The spot of fluid though I don't know anything about. I wish you the best of luck and hope you all have successful pregnancies.
May 22nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
My progesterone was a 13 at five weeks. My doc said that anything abouve a 20 is great. That is the number that they like to see throughout the first trimester. After 12 wks. the placenta is formed enough to take over the job that the progesterone was doing. I took oral prometrium until 14 weeks. I am now 20 weeks. We're moving right along. I hope everything works out for you!

May 24th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I am happy to be able to report that the US today went well and the baby is growing just fine. I am 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and was put on progesterone at 5 wks with a progesterone level of 14. My dr wanted it to be 20 and so, I have been on the pills ever since. I also had the low hcg count and the spot of blood or fluid right next to the baby at my 6 wk US. The spot of fluid is still there, but has not gotten bigger. I have an actual dr appointment and another US in 2 more weeks.
Yea!
Keri
May 25th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Keri I am so happy for you My next US is this friday and I am hoping that all will be well as well. So far things seem the same to me, no pain, and all old blood (sorry if tmi) so against orders I am hoping that the baby is fine and that we'll see a heartbeat on friday.

May 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JakkieS@May 25 2005, 04:37 AM
Keri I am so happy for you* * My next US is this friday and I am hoping that all will be well as well.* So far things seem the same to me, no pain, and all old blood (sorry if tmi) so against orders I am hoping that the baby is fine and that we'll see a heartbeat on friday.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I hope everything goes well on friday. I will be thinking about you.
Keri
July 20th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm thinking of requesting progesterone for my next pregnancy. Does it make you feel bad, any side effects?
July 21st, 2005, 04:52 AM
I was on 400mg oral a day and I was very miserable. I was constantly lightheaded and nauseous and just generally feeling icky. But I think it was because the dose was so very high, apparantly they usually only give you 100 - 200mg oral a day. I think it still makes you feel a bit icky but might be more manageable.

I must admit that I prefer the oral to the pessaries. Also the pessaries can make you bleed a bit, and that in my first pregnancy (ended in a m/c) made me just more paranoid.

July 21st, 2005, 06:47 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tearsofhope
Just hang in there sweetie. My RE's office said women can achieve a healthy pregnancy with levels lower than a 20 at 4 weeks and lower than a 10 at implantation. SO.......... I am glad he has you on supplements. Some bleeding is normal in pregnancy, just as long as you don't do enough to soak a pad and it is only spotting really.

I did lose my baby at 12 weeks because I had low prog but we didn't know in time. So at least you are caught early with it and it can be treated.

Try to be hopeful ok hun!!!! And get some rest, don't do anything strenuous and try not to stress. Make your dh do all the house chores.

Come Visit My Board: http://www.justmommies.com/boards/in...act=SF&s=&f=71

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/4440a">
</a>
July 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to anotherblessing03 Send a message via Yahoo to anotherblessing03
Hi ladies I am new around here but wanted to give hope to anyone with low progesterone issues like myself.

My two sons are proof that w/low progesterone you can maintain a healty preg. not all Dr's agree that progesterone can help a preg. I say it cant hurt.

When I had my prog checked at 5 weeks last preg it was 9-I was put on crinone suppositories which my Dr says is great (another one like it called I think Perchieve out there now which is what I currently take)the progesterone taken by suposs. goes right to the source of where its needed the uterus and it does not show up in a blood test, I was told oral progesterone can make you feel sick and most of it is absorbed into liver I think and then leaves your body fast-I dont know that whole story just what I read and was told somewhere.

Anyways after having my levels checked at 9 weeks a phone call came back my levels were at 0 and I would miscarry seemed strange they were over a 1000 3 days prior-no bleeding either-after 3 weeks of feeling icky and I had stopped the prog abruptly I found out I indeed was preg and it was a lab error(I was P'od) my progesterone at 11 weeks was 9.7 and I had a healthy baby boy 7 mos later. I have a thyroid cond and my body doesnt produce much progesterone on its own usually-my Dr said anything over 10 was safe. Right now at 5 weeks my prog is 24.6 and I am thrilled!!! I am on suppositories too-the prog levels do change throughout the day too. I have read many sights and it seems anything over 20 is great. I am under 30 and I am not worried and my Dr's are pleased my body produced prog on its own this time. Woohoo!!! BTW I had my synthroid increased and I think thats why my body is functioning!

I just wanted to give you ladies w/low progesterone hope-I have two boys who during my preg were never above 11 and I did well. There is hope!

Debby
July 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM
marmalade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for the encouragement, Debby!

I am also on progesterone at 200 mg, twice a day, by suppository. I read that using progesterone is controversial, since they don't know if it has an effect, but that the suppository method was the most effective.

Mine was 15 at 4.5 weeks, 22 at 5.5 weeks, and 30 at 7 weeks. The pills cost $120/month, and the labs also cost $120 a pop. It's kind of crazy, but at least it's just for the first trimester.

<span style="color:#003300"> "Parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and Iím not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal. óBill Cosby</span>
July 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM
marmalade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One more thing...On the side effects, I haven't noticed anything except a little sleepiness, but that could also just be the pregnancy. It hasn't caused bleeding with me.

<span style="color:#003300"> "Parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and Iím not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal. óBill Cosby</span>
August 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Ukmum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Ukmum
I was put on progesterone after having 3 losses and also baby aspirin.

m/c 86, May 04, July 04, m/c Sep 04

http://www.facebook.com/Ukmum

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search