progesterone question

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Veteran
I have had 2 daughters with no problems whatsoever. I have had 2 miscarriages in a row since having them. I never found out what caused them but wonder if it's because of low progesterone. I took a test yesterday and it was positive, and I have made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. My question is that if he checks my progesterone tomorrow and it's low, what are the chances of the baby making it if he puts me on progesterone now? I think I am about 4 weeks.

<div align='center'></div>
</div>
<div align="center"></div>
November 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to he910
I had 3 m/c's before this pregnancy unfortuantely and also had no answers as to why after tons of testing. I did take progesterone vaginally with this pregnancy and didn't start taking it until I got my BFP - and I tested on the date my period was due so I was about 4 weeks when I started using it. I was put on it as a precaution but I believe my number was fine on its own anyway. But good luck to you!!!

<span style="color:#333399">JACK MATTHEW BORN NOVEMBER 25TH AT 4:39PM WEIGHING 7LBS 11OZ, 20.5 INCHES

[/url]
November 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If your progesterone is low, doc will start you on supplements. You might even ask him about it at your appointment tomorrow, as the results can take a couple of days to come back. The suppositories are more effective than the oral version, as progesterone has a really short half-life. So putting it as close as possible to the pg helps your body absorb as much as it can.

There are never any guarantees as to whether it will work. I was like you, had a super easy pg with DS, then had two losses in a row. They were chromosomal issues and doc said that my progesterone was low with the second. He didn't know if it was low because of the chromosomal issue or for another reason, so he put me on suppositories for the first trimester as a precaution.

A friend of mine uses the same doc and for her second pg her progesterone was a 7. That is incredibly low. Doc put her on mega doses of progesterone and she delivered a healthy baby in July. Keep in mind that this is a super unusual success story. Doc said it was a first for him and he's been an OB for at least 20 years. But it is possible.

I hope everything works out for you! Keeping you in my prayers. Let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Veteran
Thanks ladies! I will let you know how it goes!

<div align='center'></div>
</div>
November 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
there is a very good chance that if it is b/c your progestorne is low is the reason that you are having the m/c and the dr puts you on something right away that it will work out for you.

I had 3 m/c last year ( after having my son 3 years earlier with no problems ) and did several test after the 3rd everything looked great no problems at all.

I was 3 weeks 4 days when I found out I was pregnant called the doctor the next day got in for some blood work and then about 7 days later doctor had me take prometruim ( progestone hormones ) for about 13 weeks and now I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with a happy healthy baby.

good luck there is HOPE

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
November 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was put on progesterone at 5 weeks i believe,i "think " the sooner the better but im not quite sure what the time frame is.if your 4 weeks though i would think thats plenty early,this is just my opinion though.sry i couldnt be of more help.oh and i got to stop taking them at 14 weeks. good luck

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
November 17th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Regular
we tested + at 10 dpo and already had the Utrogestan (brand name) on hand as dr said to start as soon as we find out. Made me all warm and sweaty, felt like change of life (or what I'd imagine it to be) and had alot more MS that I remember w/ my son..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search