depression during your pregnancy

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Nancy
Well after weeks of denial and a situation getting worse and worse i have w/ DHs help realized i am depressed very badly. I believe this is at least partly because of my m/c right before this pg. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how do you treat it? Thanks ladies.
November 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
margo1973's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry that you are depressed. Try talking to your doctor and see if he can help you. Lots of women go through this.

I wasn't really myself for a month early on in my pg but mostly because of really bad morning sickness and worry about another mc.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

November 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
(((hugs))) recognising that you have a problem, is always the first step in getting help.. and it isn't easy to admit to yourself that you do have a problem!

I'm not sure I had depression during my pregnancy, but I definaately had some not-so-good mental health issues!!! I was VERY anxious for my entire pregnancy, and believe I had.. well, HAVE an anxiety disorder, but i'm still not willing to ask for help......

Often depression can occur during pregnancy because of the hormone changes, and it can go away once the baby is born, but there are some for whom it stays.... so getting help now is probably a great idea.....

((hugs))

I personally believe my mental health issues during pregnancy, were directly related to my two earlier pregnancy losses, and my nephew passing away when he was 4 months old...

November 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been struggling with that too, although I haven't quite gotten up the nerve to get help (not sure what I'm waiting for). I think mine is mostly from two losses this year, and having a somewhat nerve wracking pg this time (spotting almost everyday since the beginning, although there doesn't appear to be anything seriously wrong). I do know, though, that something like 1 in 10 women suffer from depression caused by the pg hormones. I've also found that taking an omega3 supplement has helped me. I ran out once for a week or so, and I felt a lot worse. Other ladies here have said that B vitamins helped them.
Like someone else said, figuring out the problem is at least half the battle. As far as treatment goes, I think you can either do talk therapy and/or antidepressants, as there are some that are safe for pg/breastfeeding. You and your doctor would have to decide waht's best for your situation.
I wish you the best of luck.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

November 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM
mommytothree
i was on prozac during all my pregnancies and breastfeeding. no problems - healthy smart kids.
November 30th, 2006, 06:10 PM
kimmiek's Avatar Super Mommy
Im right there with you. I had my last MC Sept 25, 2006 and found out Oct 28th I was preg again. I'm now just over 8 weeks, spotting for the past 3 weeks off and on. I'm a wreck. My doc has told me several times things are ok, and the baby looks normal. But I am still waiting for the "other foot to fall" so. I've even started praying every time I go pee (I say a Hail Mary, then pray for the baby to be safe.) I'm scared to sneeze, go to the "bathroom". I've had three healthy pregnancies, so I know none of this is logical. Today, I lost it at the doctors office. I told the doc I feel like a train wreck, I can see and hear that things are ok but I'm terrified of the unknown. She's referred me to a shrink and the to be evaluated for meds.

On top of the fears is my guilt for not jumping up and down going "woohoo I'm preg!", not because I'm not happy, I'm thrilled, however terrified out of my mind. I feel like somehow I'm already letting the baby down because I'm so stressed out all of the time.

I'm not sure if my story helps anyone. But, I guess we aren't alone.

Our family and newest addition!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search