something to consider purchasing...

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
*this post could be upsetting to some, as it mentions SIDS, so please don't read if you are feeling particularly sensitive... I have tried to keep it as on-topic as possible though*

I hope it's okay me posting up a thread like this, but it's become very evident to me, after reading posts on this board - and on other forum's I belong to, that deal with pregnancy & infant loss, that a lot of women suffer from anxiety - often severe, once the baby is born, due to the fear of something happening to their baby - particularly in their sleep...

A bit of background - my sister had my nephew Brodie, when she was 16 - at 4 months old, he passed away - because of SIDS. After thinking for my entire life "SIDS is so sad, but it'll never happen to me", suddenly I realised that it could infact happen to me - or someone I know... And not necessarily just SIDS, but any other number of things

When I was pregnant with Gaby, I knew that I would be worried about her when she was born, but I tried to ignore that fact at the time, as my pregnancy was so full of anxiety already.

Once she was born, I realised I was feeling severe anxiety whenever i put Gaby to bed, or even in her carseat or pram - anywhere she was asleep really. After about a week in a row of crying myself to sleep at night, becuase I was so ###### scared of waking up, and Gaby not waking up, I decided I needed to do something about it, to relieve the anxiety a bit...

... so after some searching around online, and talking to my midwife, I decided to purchase an 'Angelcare Sound & Movement Monitor'.. For those of you who don't know about them, they are like a regular baby monitor, with the baby unit & parent unit - but the baby unit connects to sensor pads, which you place under the baby's mattress - and it detects even the slightest movements (such as breathing). If the sensor doesn't detect any movement for 20 seconds, an alarm goes off to alert you.

This product, and those like it DON'T prevent SIDS from happening - BUT they do give you a very early alert if something has happened, to give you time to be able to get the assistance that is required......

Since i purchased this monitor, I have slept soundly (well, minus the midnight & 3.30am feeds!) - and am literally sleeping a lot easier, just having that added little peace of mind, knowing that if (god forbid) something did happen to Gaby, I would know soon enough, that something could be done..... rather than experiencing what my sister went through.

After I had put Gaby down, the first night that I used the monitor, my Mum came to me in tears, and thanked me for buying the monitor, because her & my Dad had both been anxious & worried as well...

December 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I have to ask: Does it go off very often? I'm sure you tested it to make sure it worked, but does it ever wake you up in a false alarm?

My DH found that online after I'd said something about SIDS, and being a little worried.

December 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
I've not had a single false alarm yet...... the only time the alarm has gone off, is when I forget to turn the sensor off when I get Gaby up for a feed LOL.. (i'm sure it gave everyone else in the household a fright!)

I bought mine 2nd hand, and the couple I purchased it off, said that in the year they used it, they only had one false alarm........ and that was when their daughter decided it'd be fun to climb out of her cot

I DO have Gaby in a bassinet at the moment, so there is less chance of a false alarm, but when they are in cots, if they roll off the area of the matress that the sensor is under, you can get false alarms then..... but for me personally i'd sooner have a few false alarms, than not have it...

December 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have this monitor. It works great.
<div align="center"></div>
December 2nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm seriously considering getting one. I know I'm going to still be a wreck even after s/he gets here!

December 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Brittanie.. well i can say from my personal experience, that I am feeling a LOT less stress now that i'm using the monitor... that thought is always there, BUT I feel a lot calmer now......

they are quite pricy, BUT I think considering the job they do.... yo ucan't really put a price on it

December 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have this monitor, and we love it!! DH is a paramedic, and his greatest fear about having a baby was SIDS, and this monitor has allowed us to sleep at night! It is quite sensitive, but you can adjust that as needed. Newborns do hold their breath, and its picked that up a few times, the first few times we bolted out of bed, but now we count to ten and it shuts off when Nolan takes another breath. I don't think I would sleep if I didn't have my Angel Care.
Marie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search