progesterone pills

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I am so excited to say that today we heard the baby's heartbeat! I am 10 wks 5 days pregnant and was put on progesterone pills at 5wks for low levels. I've read on different websites differing recommendations for how long to take them. It ranges from 12-16wks of pregnancy. My doctor said to stop at 12 wks. Has anyone (who has taken progesterone pills) gotten a different recommendation from their ob? I'm a little nervous to stop taking them!
Thanks,
Keri
June 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
steph1989's Avatar Super Mommy
I just started taking them a few days ago......My doctor told me to take them for 12 weeks.......because after that the placenta takes over and I don't need to continue taking them after that.

Are they giving you any side effects?

They make me tired......sometimes queasy.
Benjamin Patrick was born on January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM! 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. 20 1/2"

April 6, 2006 will be our 4th Wedding Anniversary!

June 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kctay@Jun 9 2005, 07:39 PM
I am so excited to say that today we heard the baby's heartbeat! I am 10 wks 5 days pregnant and was put on progesterone pills at 5wks for low levels. I've read on different websites differing recommendations for how long to take them. It ranges from 12-16wks of pregnancy. My doctor said to stop at 12 wks. Has anyone (who has taken progesterone pills) gotten a different recommendation from their ob? I'm a little nervous to stop taking them!
Thanks,
Keri
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply...Yes, they make me very tired, especialy in the beginning. I would wake up feeling as if I had been sedated. They also make me more queasy at night or around dinner time. The tiredness has gotten better since I'm getting closer to the 12 wks, though.
I was given an oral prescription and I've read that most docs prescribe them as vaginal suppositories.
Keri
June 13th, 2005, 03:58 AM
mine is an oral prescription too....they are 100 mg. and are little round orange balls. Have they helped raise your progesterone level?
Benjamin Patrick was born on January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM! 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. 20 1/2"

June 13th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Starstryder's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi

I was put on oral progesterone for a week during week six. 400mg a day, it was horrible! I was light-headed, very bad m/s.

It did bring up my levels significantly and my doc was satisfied. He also said that he wouldn't give me anymore of the supplements because after week six he has found that it doesn't alter the levels much.

But I also think he was trying to make my pregnancy fit with what his calender said it should be...he was wrong on that score...he thought I ovulated 14 days after my period but in fact I only ovulated 9 days before my period was due...lol He was very surprised to see a heartbeat at 7.3 weeks. And so far so good.

Good luck ladies

June 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by steph1989@Jun 13 2005, 06:58 AM
mine is an oral prescription too....they are 100 mg. and* are little round orange balls.* Have they helped raise your progesterone level?
[/quote]

That is the exact same thing I'm taking. I asked them to check my levels, but they said since I was on the supplement, it should be ok. I'm a little disappointed they weren't more willing to check. I also asked if they would check the levels once I got off the pills and they said no to that too. I think she said it would not be detectable since it would be produced by the placenta and not in my bloodstream. It's a little frustrating.
Keri
June 13th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JakkieS@Jun 13 2005, 07:14 AM
Hi*

I was put on oral progesterone for a week during week six.* 400mg a day, it was horrible!* I was light-headed, very bad m/s.*

It did bring up my levels significantly and my doc was satisfied.* He also said that he wouldn't give me anymore of the supplements because after week six he has found that it doesn't alter the levels much.*

But I also think he was trying to make my pregnancy fit with what his calender said it should be...he was wrong on that score...he thought I ovulated 14 days after my period but in fact I only ovulated 9 days before my period was due...lol He was very surprised to see a heartbeat at 7.3 weeks.* And so far so good.*

Good luck ladies*
[/quote]
I took only 1/2 that, so I can imagine how the side effects were w/ that much! I'm glad you're doing well. Thank you for the info and good luck to you, too!
Keri
June 14th, 2005, 02:26 PM
KC.........I'm surprised that they would not check your levels again, just to see what's going on. I started these last week and they are checking my levels this coming Thursday. If it would make you feel better, you should insist on your levels being checked. I would want to know if the Progesterone was helping.......I know, this can be very frustrating.

June 14th, 2005, 03:28 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have taken it. I think standard recommendations are to take it till you are twelve weeks. Like another poster mentioned, the placenta takes over at this point. Some doctors will have you wean off of it once you hit twelve weeks which may explain the twelve to sixteen week variation. I don't really think you need it after twelve weeks though.

As for oral pills, I have read a lot of places/books saying that vaginal suppositories were recommended but most women I know have taken oral pills. In fact, I have been prescribed progesterone with all my pregnancies (except the ones I miscarried) and have seen four different doctors and they have all prescribed oral pills.

I wouldn't worry too much about having your levels redrawn if you are taking supplements. If you are given supplements, your levels are probably good. As long as baby/pregnancy is developing normally I wouldn't worry too much.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search