Progesterone Suppositories

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
Kathryn you were right My re called..said that the progesterone fluncuates throughout the day and that its still well in normal range but she knows im a worry wort and said she will prescribe me the suppositories to help ease my mind.

so here's the question..are these uncomfy and how far do i insert them? Its one in the morning and one in the evening.
January 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM
also, can they be harmful since i am really in normal range already?
January 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM
MJONES's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you cant take the pills? Thats what I took, they asked me what I perferred. They told me if I didnt need the extra progesterone my body would just get rid of it & it wouldn't hurt me or the baby. I was prescribed it BEFORE any bloodwork as a precaution so you should be fine. If I were you though I'd ask for the pills!

Ethan Hunter, Ava Madison, Achilles Ryan

Sept 2, 2006
January 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The suppositories are MUCH more effective than the pills, so even though they're not as convenient, you'll absorb a lot more of the progesterone by putting it exactly where you need it. The half-life of progesterone (how fast it breaks down and leaves your system) is very short, so going straight to the source is the best way to go.

My doc and everything I read before using them said that more can't hurt. I was at 27 and doc had me use them just for good measure, even though he's fine with anything above 20.

They're not uncomfy, really, just kind of messy. You want to use the applicator to get it as far in as you can and then wear a liner. For your nighttime dose, someone wonderful on JM told me to put it in after I got in bed for the night. That helps you keep as much of it where it should be as possible.

They'll magnify your pg symptoms (which I'm sure you'll appreciate ) and after using them for a while, they may make you feel like you've got a yeast infection. When I mentioned it to my doc, he just smiled and said, "Good they're working. And it's not a yeast infection, it just feels like one."

Hope that's the info you were looking for. Feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer (or someone else may pop in with their info, too).
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
i couldnt get a more perfect answer. especially with the fact that i too, am at 27 as of yesterday. I appreciate your answer, it helped me alot. i do hate yeast infections though lol but its worth it! thank you
January 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome!
January 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
one more question..not that i even want it right now BUT sex..any special directions when using suppositories?
January 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but since it made my bbs so sore and gave me horrible heartburn, I never felt like doing that when I was on them. Poor DH! Just ask your doc/nurse or the pharmacist. I think it's OK, though for his comfort he might want to cover up.
January 12th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm glad your ob prescribed you some, to help ease your anxiety a little

January 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Super Mommy
the other thing with the pills, your more likely to get sick. when they first gave me the oral ones, i felt like puking constantly. at first i thought i was getting horrible morning sickness, but it got worse every week after my dose was increased.

~Tracy~

January 13th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
When I mentioned it to my doc, he just smiled and said, "Good they're working. And it's not a yeast infection, it just feels like one."[/b]
Is THAT why I get all the symptoms of yeast infection when I'm pregnant, even though I don't have one? It's the progesterone? ((Or am I just strange?))

January 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM
i guess that it is the progesterone brit. thats something i dont look forward to but ill survive.

i put my first one in lastnight..is it normal to feel like it floated to your chest? Ugh maybe its me creating things but i swear it felt like it floated on up or something
January 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
ok i did my 2nd one alittle while ago..it wasnt as bad as lastnight, i guess im used to it now. I still kinda feel like something is caught somewhere lol..maybe its just me and my anxieties
January 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
lol, it must be weird to have something up there...dissolving....>_< I hope it helps ease your fears a little though.

January 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to he910
I took the progesterone suppositories for the first 12 weeks and was also told they were more effective then the oral ones. Like you my progesterone was fine but I took them as a precaution and it was the only thing we did differently then with the previous pregnancies and things worked out. It was alittle messy but I would have done anything so I didn't mind. I had no side effects at all with it.

<span style="color:#333399">JACK MATTHEW BORN NOVEMBER 25TH AT 4:39PM WEIGHING 7LBS 11OZ, 20.5 INCHES

[/url]
January 13th, 2007, 08:49 PM
i am praying this pregnancy is a good one and everything im taking is helping...i want this sooo bad thanks again for all of the replies
January 14th, 2007, 04:43 PM
ericahex's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope it helps too! I had 4 losses and the Dr had me start taking progesterone suppositories from ovulation time on with the 5th. Guess what, my baby is almost full term now!

Yep it was kinda weird and uncomfortable and there was icky discharge, but well worth it. I was also advised to insert them for bedtime and that they work best as suppositories. In my case we didn't check my hormone levels, we just said why not, and I took prenatals, progesterone, and baby aspirin while TTC and early in the pregnancy. If we do TTC again I'm definitely doing the same thing.
January 14th, 2007, 05:17 PM
thank you for the reply and congrats!! i wish you luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search