Should I ask my doc to check progesterone?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone, I had a m/c on Dec 10th at 7.5 weeks. I started bleeding the exact day AF would have been due. I'm not sure if that means anything or is just a coincidence.

My question is once I get a BFP, should I call my doctor right away and ask for a quantitative HCG and progesterone? I have only had one m/c so I don't know if they will do it. If they won't see me for a couple weeks, should I go to a different doctor that will do labs right away? I just want to make sure I don't have low progesterone, and I figured maybe some of you went through this when you got your BFP.

Thanks!

February 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
Its totally up to you. I didn't rush to the OB because I hated to hear any bad news. I waited tell I as 7 weeks and then went in and had a u/s so I could see the heartbeat. That was just me though. All my bloodwork came back fine as well.

You might call and ask your OB and see what they say at least. Wishing you the best!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

February 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think they would definately do some hcg monitoring if you ask them, nad it'll probably depend on your doctor/ob/mw if they would montior your progesterone levels or not....

February 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
hoping4littleone's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have my levels checked until my fourth pregnancy, which came after three miscarriages. I don't think my regualr OB office really took me seriously when I said how concerned I was and wanted my levels checked. It wasn't until this pregnancy that I am seeing my Reproductive Endocrinologist that they took my blood work every other day for the first week after my missed period and I had my first u/s yesterday at 5 weeks 1 day. I found out, in fact, my progesterone was low and my RE put me on progesterone supplements.

I would just be stern with your OB and express how important it is to you to have your levels checked and how concerned you are. Hopefully you will have no problem

</div>
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><div align="center">

Born May 5, 2008

Shelby Suzanne: 7lbs,8 oz 17 3/4 inches 9:16 p.m.
Morgan Julianne: 5 lbs,8 oz 19 inches 9:17 p.m.
</div></span>
February 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I didn't have my levels checked until my fourth pregnancy, which came after three miscarriages. I don't think my regualr OB office really took me seriously when I said how concerned I was and wanted my levels checked. It wasn't until this pregnancy that I am seeing my Reproductive Endocrinologist that they took my blood work every other day for the first week after my missed period and I had my first u/s yesterday at 5 weeks 1 day. I found out, in fact, my progesterone was low and my RE put me on progesterone supplements.

I would just be stern with your OB and express how important it is to you to have your levels checked and how concerned you are. Hopefully you will have no problem [/b]
I'm sorry for all of your losses. I think it will put me at ease to find out whether my progesterone is low or not. I don't want to go through more losses if it is something that can be helped by progesterone supplements. I think I will call them when I get a BFP. Thanks so much.

February 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my HCG levels checked after my 1st loss but it was rule out another ectopic. I didn't have my HCG and prog levels checked until my 3rd pg which was also a m/c. My dr wasn't going to check my prog levels until I asked her to, and she didn't have any problems ordering the test. Turns out my levels were a little low (22) but not alarming so she put me on prog supp's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search