We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I got a call from the doctor’s office last evening. My AFP results came with down syndrome screening positive and they wanted me to have an ultrasound done at a high-risk Ob’s office asap. When I called into schedule an appt, they said they can not fit me in for today(Friday) and asked me to call back in the morning at 8am to see if someone has cancelled. I just kept crying and praying that it would be a false positive. I just could not relax. My husband tried to give me all the support I needed and told me that we will deal with it together. I called up in the morning and told her that I am stick to the stomach and can not wait to get the u/s. she told me that I can just go and wait at the office, whenever there is an opening she would get me in and asked about the insurance details and now my doc’s office had to send a referral note to the insurance and a lot of other things happened. Now I go into the doc’s office and they took me into the u/s right away and the high risk Ob was so nice, he did all the measurements on the baby and told baby looked fine (like heart, back of the neck, length of the legs, weight, circumference of the head etc). But they still can not guarantee that there was no down syndrome. Only Amniocentesis can guarantee but if they do the amnio test the risk of having a miscarriage is increased. The doctor suggested waiting for 3 weeks and then getting the 2nd level u/s might help in making a decision to go for amnio or not. I am just stressed over it. Do not know what to do. I just can not think straight right now.
Do you know anyone who had a +ve AFP and what did they do and how was the baby born?
You must be beside yourself right now with worry. I've heard quite a few stories of the screen coming back positive, but baby being just fine. I'm glad DH is being supportive. You'll get through this. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
The thing to realize about the AFP test is there are very high rates of false positives. This is the main reason why I chose not to do it in the first place. That and I would not have an amnio and had no plan on terminating the pregnancy.
The good thing for you is everything is measuring normal. So mostly like you are one of the MANY false positives. When I was trying to decide whether or not to get the testing or amnio done, my doctor said I should think about this: what would I do with that information? Would I terminate the pregnancy? Would it help me prepare?
I hope you can find some answers and find peace in whatever decision you make.
Ok, well, I can kind of relate. When I had my test, it came back ok, but when I had my u/s to find out the sex they told me they needed me to come back in to see more of the heart. Turns out there is a spot on her heart that causes concern. They call it a "soft" marker for downs, BUT after looking at it again they think it could just be a calcium deposit, BUT they can't guarentee me 100% that she isnt' downs. ALSO, my sil had the nucal fold (back of the neck) come back that her baby was downs and guess what, she had him in December and he is so perfect and healthy!
I think that all will be ok for you and your little sweetie. I didn't go further and do the Level II u/s, and an amnio wasn't even offered to me because they said one marker coming back just isn't enough reason to do one, especially since they really think it is just calcium...BUT I am very aware, that when I deliver my sweet little girl, there is a chance of Downs....to me, it doesn't matter, I can't change anything by knowing anymore info or getting any more tests done, termination was/is just not an option for me, so I left it in God's hands and know he will take care of us.
You are in my thoughts and prayers, I remember when I heard these news too, I was just so sad, and in fear, and every emotion you can possibly feel!! Your DH sounds like a great support for you, lean on him for strength!
But here are some and more for you!
Also, when I did research, I found there are more false positives between the tests and "soft" markings they find that 80% of the time the tests are incorrect and the babies are perfect and healthy!! Hope that can ease your mind a bit!
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Like others have said, I'm thinking this is probably a false positive. I know when I had my Nuchal Translucency test done at 12 weeks (screens for Downs), DH and I had a talk about the "what if...." We came to the resolution that if we have a child with Down's, it will be just as precious to us. It helped having recently held a 6 mo. old baby with Down's - I know all babies are sweet, but this one was just soooooo sweet. He was one of the happiest babies that I have ever seen, just smiling and cooing at everyone. I know it's disappointing to think about, but if you keep in mind the worst case scenario, your child has Downs and you're going to love that baby no matter what, it may help with the stress. I'm sure it's just a false positive though.
Your in my T's & P's.
Nolan John turns 2 on 8/28/09 Thank you Jessica for the siggy!
I have to add my feelings. If you plan on keeping the baby if it has Down's Syndrome than I don't suggest you get the amnio. I am sorry but there is still a chance for miscarriage. Someone from the loss boards was told her baby had Downs and had the amnio at 17 weeks even though she didn't want to terminate. Her family just wanted to know. Well her water broke a few days after from the pin hole and after they kept her in for 10 more weeks the baby was born at 17 weeks and lived for 9 months. She was so underdeveloped from the lack of fluid for the last 10 weeks that she went through so many complications and eventually died. It has made me really think about Amnios. Her daughter DID NOT have Down's syndrome and would be here today without that amnio most likely. It is your decision, but I always have to give this warning, because it does happen. In your case it really sounds like a false positive. And like I said if you plan to keep the baby anyway and just want to know before birth, than maybe wait til you are further along and the baby is viable. Sorry for sounding rude, but I just think people should know the chance of it happening is slim, but does happen. Best of luck to you, hang in there.