update - high risk dr appt

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2007, 06:47 AM
lauraec20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw the high risk pregnancy dr for the first time on Friday. Wanted to give an update about it. It was just a consultation so we just talked. I really liked the dr. He talked to my for about an hour and a half. It was a lot of information. He said that I will have to see him every other week (in addition to my regular OB every month). The first thing he is worried about is Potter's Syndrome. THat is what happened in my last pregnancy. It is where the baby does not develop kidneys. He said that the soonest we can tell if that is happening again is 15 weeks. So I am going back for an u/s on 3/30 for that. AFter we know about that, then we need to be concerned about the disablility that I have. I have something called RSD. It is basicaly a disease where your sympathetic nervous system does not work correctly. There are multiple symptoms, but the worst one is SEVERE, CONSTANT chronic pain. He said that with RSD, there are things that may come up in the pregnacy that he just cannot predict right now but he is going to be keeping a close eye on me. I am also on some medications that I was hoping to get off of during the pregnancy and he said that there is more risk in gettting off of them then staying on them. He said if I don't take the meds then he does not think that my body will be able to handle the pregnany at all. THe risk of staying on them is that they will be in the baby's system when he/she is born. He assurred me thetre is NO risk of any birth defects from the meds but there will be some temporary side effects in the baby right after birth.

I have mixed emotions about the appointment. He gave me a lot of information that makes me worry. However, I do feel good about the fact that the three doctors (the OB, the high risk dr, and the disablilyt dr) are working closeley together to provide the best care possible for me and baby. I know I really should not worry unless something happens and all I can do now is just pray and be positive that everything will be ok.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share everything.
March 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow 1.5 hours with the doc! That's amazing in itself. I'm sure all the info was a bit overwhelming, but it sounds like they're taking really good care of you and have a plan for what to watch from now until after delivery. That's very reassuring.

As for the worry...if you've got time to worry, you've got time to pray. And prayer is a lot more effective.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
March 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I am sure it must be a bit of a scary time for you, but it's great all your doctors are workign so closely together!

March 12th, 2007, 01:22 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
You situation sounds somewhat like mine. But of course its you with the issues. Since my son has a genetic disorder I am being followed closely too.

Its great that at least your docs are working well together because I am having trouble with mine doing that. I hope your next u/s shows normal results. We are here for you if you need us.

I know emotional when I think about my next u/s and possibly seeing that my baby has problems is really scary but I am trying to realize there is nothing I can do to change what will happen and trying to deal with it as best as I can. It is so hard at times though. Hang in there!!

Lots of hugs to you!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

March 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Mom2LinaNangels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you are being watched closely. Best of luck to you.

March 13th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I saw the high risk pregnancy dr for the first time on Friday. Wanted to give an update about it. It was just a consultation so we just talked. I really liked the dr. He talked to my for about an hour and a half. It was a lot of information. He said that I will have to see him every other week (in addition to my regular OB every month). The first thing he is worried about is Potter's Syndrome. THat is what happened in my last pregnancy. It is where the baby does not develop kidneys. He said that the soonest we can tell if that is happening again is 15 weeks. So I am going back for an u/s on 3/30 for that. AFter we know about that, then we need to be concerned about the disablility that I have. I have something called RSD. It is basicaly a disease where your sympathetic nervous system does not work correctly. There are multiple symptoms, but the worst one is SEVERE, CONSTANT chronic pain. He said that with RSD, there are things that may come up in the pregnacy that he just cannot predict right now but he is going to be keeping a close eye on me. I am also on some medications that I was hoping to get off of during the pregnancy and he said that there is more risk in gettting off of them then staying on them. He said if I don't take the meds then he does not think that my body will be able to handle the pregnany at all. THe risk of staying on them is that they will be in the baby's system when he/she is born. He assurred me thetre is NO risk of any birth defects from the meds but there will be some temporary side effects in the baby right after birth.

I have mixed emotions about the appointment. He gave me a lot of information that makes me worry. However, I do feel good about the fact that the three doctors (the OB, the high risk dr, and the disablilyt dr) are working closeley together to provide the best care possible for me and baby. I know I really should not worry unless something happens and all I can do now is just pray and be positive that everything will be ok.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share everything.[/b]
It sounds like you've got a great doctor. I've never heard of potters Syndrome but one of my aunts had to terminate a pregnancy because the baby didn't have kidneys (this was over 21 years ago), she got pregnant right afterwards and had a healthy baby with no issues. (sorry but you're post was the first time I've ever heard of that happening to someone else--I thought you'd like to know a success story!)
March 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It does sound like your doctors are working together nicely to provide the best possible care for you and baby. I will be keeping you and your bean in my thoughts and prayers, and hope that everything goes well for you at your ultrasound!!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>
March 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM
lauraec20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share everything.[/b]
It sounds like you've got a great doctor. I've never heard of potters Syndrome but one of my aunts had to terminate a pregnancy because the baby didn't have kidneys (this was over 21 years ago), she got pregnant right afterwards and had a healthy baby with no issues. (sorry but you're post was the first time I've ever heard of that happening to someone else--I thought you'd like to know a success story!)
[/b]
I love to hear sucess stories!!! THanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Wow 1.5 hours with the doc! That's amazing in itself. I'm sure all the info was a bit overwhelming, but it sounds like they're taking really good care of you and have a plan for what to watch from now until after delivery. That's very reassuring.

As for the worry...if you've got time to worry, you've got time to pray. And prayer is a lot more effective.[/b]

You are SO right about prayer. My fiance and I pray about this every day. I feel like prayer has helped me through so many things in my life. And it is definetely more effectvie than worrying!!
March 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not surprised that your hour and a half of info is overwhelming. Doctors have to give all kinds of information just to make sure there are risks involved in anything (basically to cover their backs as a lot are worried about being sued). Try not to worry much.. everything will be alright.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search