UTI's in pregnancy

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
jennifer97's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jennifer97
So my ob just called. My labs came back and they called to tell me I have a UTI.

I haven't been feeling all the yucky stuff that goes along with the UTI so I am assuming it is not too bad. But, I do have a history of UTI's and had a pretty bad one when I m/c in October. They do say that a UTI can cause a m/c.

She is prescribing me Macrobid. Anybody heard of it? Anyhow, just one more thing to worry about!! I hope this isn't going to hurt the baby in any way!!

<span style="color:#4169E1"><span style="font-family:Garamond">http://chasingfirefliesphotos.blogspot.com</span></span>

April 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
When I was pregnant with Matthew I had one UTI after another-and they gave me Macrobid. I have only had one so far this pregnancy. If they're not treated, or you wait until they get really bad they can cause a miscarriage or preterm labor. Try drinking cranberry juice. I asked my dr if it really helps and she told me that it makes the urine more acidic and the bacteria doesn't like acid so it flushes them out faster. Made me feel better in a matter of hours.
April 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks Danielle!!!! I have been taking Vit C because the doc told me the same thing about the acidity but it doesn't seem to be working very well!!

I'm going to give up my beloved dt coke for good! (I've really cut back!) And trade it in for cranberry juice and hope that does the trick!!

<span style="color:#4169E1"><span style="font-family:Garamond">http://chasingfirefliesphotos.blogspot.com</span></span>

April 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
UTI's are fairly common in pregnancy, and i'm sure you wouldn't have been prescribed an antibiotic unless it was 100% safe to take during pregnancy... ((hugs))

April 10th, 2007, 02:00 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
Quote:
Thanks Danielle!!!! I have been taking Vit C because the doc told me the same thing about the acidity but it doesn't seem to be working very well!!

I'm going to give up my beloved dt coke for good! (I've really cut back!) And trade it in for cranberry juice and hope that does the trick!![/b]
I hope you get better soon! If it weren't for cranberry juice I would probably have had like 10 UTI's so far this pregnancy LOL. As soon as I start feeling yucky I drink like 1/2 gallon.
April 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, they are fairly common... I had one in 1st trimester and they prescribed ampicillin (I hope I spelled it right!) but each one is different, so yours might have prescribed a different antibiotic.

I also have heard that cranberry juice helps in keeping the UTI's away, not really sure how though!
April 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
missmindy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Macrobid is perfectly safe to take during pregnancy, it would be worse not to take it. I am a UTI expert, lol. I know when they are coming before it can be picked up through the urine cultures. And I'm almost positive I have one now, but they keep coming back telling me I don't. Cranberry juice does help, and during pregnancy is probably the best thing, but after baby, if they become an issue, you can look into taking a cranberry supplement, it does the same thing, in more concentrated form.
April 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks ladies...you're the best!!

I have lots of UTI's as well, but really had no clue I had this one!!! Kind of strange but oh well. Been taking my meds now and I just hope all is well!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search