Dopplers

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
cymple's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I'm strongly considering renting a doppler for a couple of months. DH is scared that it will make me *more* obsessed and worry if I don't hear it - but I think it might really help since now I don't go back to the DR until May 11th and I will be stopping my progesterone next week (yikes!!)

I have a couple of questions though for yall that have used one:

1. At this point (11 and a half weeks) would I easily be able to find the HB on my own?

2. Are there any particular dopplers that you would recommend/not recommend?

3. Did you find it worth the money?

I'm sure I have other questions - so any other input would be wonderful.

Thank yall so much - too bad we don't have Tom Cruise-ish cash and can buy an u/s machine... good gracious!

Check out Drew & Eliza's blog: http://drewandeliza.blogspot.com
April 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I rented my through Baby Beat and it was the best decision I ever made. I could hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks, but they say to allow up to 12 weeks to not being able to hear it. It depends where the baby implanted, location of the placenta, and how low the baby is.

I got a 3mhz doppler and it's been great. I'm starting to feel small kicks now so in a few weeks I'll be sending it back. Enjoy!
April 15th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I can't help at all, because I didn't end up hiring one while I was pregnant... BUT I think that for #2 I will be hiring a doppler....

I *think* that from 11w you would be able to find the h/b pretty easy, but if i do get one when I'm pregnant with #2, I probably won't hire it until after 12 weeks, so that there is a higher likelihood of being able to find the h/b.

i haven't heard anyone say anything bad about having hired a doppler, so i think you should go for it!

April 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
jennifer97's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jennifer97
I too have been going back and forth on the doppler thing. First I thought I wanted one for the whole 9 months, but once you start feeling the baby I don't think you would be as obsessed with trying to find the h/b.

I also don't want to freak myself out because I can't find the h/b one morning. They tend to move from one side to the other fairly well at this stage and it can mean searching a bit more to find it! I know this little bean has been very active!!

So once you decide let me know!!! I've gone to two website and registered on each. One is bellybeats.com and the other is heartbeatsathome.com. I think the heartbeatsathome "states" they have the most senstive dopplers for rent. I haven't researched it any further. Maybe ask your ob what he/she thinks!!!

Good luck with your decision!

<span style="color:#4169E1"><span style="font-family:Garamond">http://chasingfirefliesphotos.blogspot.com</span></span>

April 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also rented mine through Babybeat and loved it (it was the only thing that kept me sane)!!! (Truth be told, I still haven't gotten around to returning it, b/c I love having it for reassurance as we get close to the end and baby isn't quite so active anymore). I was able to hear the h/b at 8 weeks, but that is REALLY early and (from what I hear) pretty abnormal...what I would suggest is (if you can wait that long) wait until your next appt and let the doctor find the h/b first - then, when you go home, you'll have the reassurance of knowing it's there already when you look for it. If not, go ahead and get it and give it a try - yes, you should probably be able to find it at 11 weeks, but if not, DON'T WORRY - it's totally dependent on baby's position, location of placenta, etc. Good luck!!!
April 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I rented mine through Belly Beats and LOVE the customer service they have.

I would say you should have no problem finding the hb at this stage. I started using mine at 9 weeks and was able to find it every time, although one day was hard but it was when I was 9 weeks.

I so glad I had mine, it made me feel better to know my baby was alive everyday. I just mailed mine back last week because now I can feel the baby kick everyday.
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

April 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
cymple's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'm going to get one. Jennifer97 - I'll let you know which one when I decide!

Check out Drew & Eliza's blog: http://drewandeliza.blogspot.com
April 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would love to know what you all decide! I looked at ones from Baby Beat and Stork Radio, but there is NO WAY my OBGYN is going to give me a prescription for one of these! LOL! She's pretty understanding and has been incredibly patient with me, but I'm sure she can already foresee the frantic phone calls when I can't find the heartbeat! Still, I feel like it might make me feel better. I'm completely undecided!
April 17th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Veteran
I have had mine since 9 weeks. It still takes me alot of searching to find a HB, usually at least 5 minutes. I have a tilted uterus, so that may be part of the problem. All I know is a few time around 10 weeks, I could not find a HB, and I was panicking really bad. I need to send mine back, I feel like I am to reliant on it.
April 18th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Catherine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually bought a babycom one for my subsequent pregnancy...it arrived after I lost the baby. I lent it to a friend (she said it worked well for her) and have just asked for it back. I've got a while to go before it will pick anything up...I'm really looking forward to using it though. My feeling is that you do whatever you have to do to get you through the day.

If you're interested...you can get it here...without a prescription...
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/babybeat.htm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search