Natural or epidural?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Okay, so, some background first. The first thing that made me realize that there was something wrong when we lost Cora was that I couldn't get her to move. Ever since then, when this baby hasn't moved in a while (even if it's regularly a "quiet" period for her) I start to panic a little.

So here's my realization: If I get an epidural, not only will I not be feeling my contractions, but I won't be feeling the baby's movement either. This idea scares me. I WILL be having a fetal monitor, and as great as it is to hear her heartbeat like that, she has a tendency to play games with them and make them lose her heartbeat. The only thing that has kept me sane at those times has been the fact that I can feel her moving.

So it should be simple right? Don't get the epidural. Which, honestly, would be my decision if I weren't getting induced. However, induced labors are supposed to be harder, and I find the idea of going through one epidural-less intimidates me. I'll probably just go with the flow and see what happens....

Now, more than ever, I hope to go into labor on my own before the 7th.

May 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
if my labor progresses fastly i will go natural but if im in pain really bad, i will get the epidural again
May 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think go with the flow sounds like the best plan. When I miscarried at 5 months my labor was induced (long story, included in Loss Stories). I was in labor for 30+ hours. I was on morphine so I couldn't feel the pain, but I could feel the intensity and I would NOT want to go through that without pain medication. Because the labor was going so long the nurses recommended I hold off on the epidural and just use morphine until it seemed the labor was actually going somewhere. When it finally did happen it was all so fast I called for the epidural and they didn't have time to give it to me before the baby was born. For this pregnancy since I plan on a healthy baby and won't, therefore, be able to use morphine (and hopefully won't be induced either), I'm going to see how it goes, but anticipate I will ask for an epidural. I'm a big pain baby!

May 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope Rielle decides to just come on her own before the 7th and take the decision out of your hands!! That would be a tough one Brittinie, and I don't know what I would do since I've never been in that situation. Good luck!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>
May 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
ypperin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Britt

With both my boys (Tyler was 36 hrs natural then emerg c-section, Sebastien was 7 hrs natural then epi) you could not feel babe move - dunno if that's because they are being compressed or that they are resting, but from my experience chances are you aren't going to feel that lil one all that much (not to say that nobody does, but I don't want you to worry). Remember if the h/b monitor stops finding the h/b an alarm will sound so they will come in and find it again, and if yer waters have already broken, and the babe has come down enough, there is a special kind of monitor they attach to baby's head - let's see her outrun that I have a great feeling about this for you hun Don't worry all will be well and soon you will be holding yer lil miracle.

May 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brittanie, you might see if you can talk to someone from the anesthesiology group who would do your epidural and see if they can give you a lighter dose (shouldn't be a problem) or some other option that would numb the pain, but let you feel the baby. Explain why, so they can note it in your chart. Also, something that might help you feel better about getting the epi is that the contractions really tick off the babies, so kicks/movement are stronger. Alex and Ben would both kick the monitor during contractions, so even if we hadn't been able to pick up their heartrates, I knew they were OK because we could see the monitor jump. Also, anytime they would move near/under the monitor, we could hear the movement (like a scraping sound).

I can only imagine how nervous you are at this point, but I think if you want the epi (I won't ever deliver without one, given a choice) that you'll have enough other reassurance (audible, visual) to keep you calm. You're in my prayers daily, for a happy and easy delivery.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
May 29th, 2007, 01:05 PM
lauraec20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also think going with the flow sounds like a good plan. Hopefully, things will just work out for you exactly like they are supposed to. Good luck with everything sweetie.
May 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Thanks ladies. For some reason, the "try not to worry" from you guys is easier to take than the girls on my DDC who don't really understand.

I'm not as stressed now. I have made myself stop thinking about it. lol!

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

May 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
jennifer97's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jennifer97
Britt, I agree with Erin. My 1st was an emergency c/s (never went into labor), 2nd baby was 16 hours of labor followed by a c/s. During that labor I don't remember feeling baby move a whole heck of a lot. I went w/o an epi because it was valentine's day and the anestetist (sp) was out to dinner w/ his wife (small town)!!! Anyhow, I was concentrating so hard on making it through the contractions that I had time for little else!! However, that was back when pg was perfect and problems never entered my mind!!! Now those fears run rampant!!!

I wish I could take the worry away for you!! I don't think you'll ever be w/o the worry, but I do think you'll find that all the monitors will really help. Just like 4iris was saying, just cause you can't hear the h/b doesn't mean you can't hear whats going on in there!!!

Also, maybe you can take some comfort in holding your belly!! It would seem that most of the movement can be felt from the outside if you absolutely find you need the epi!!! I am not sure about this cause never paid attention during labor...but perhaps!

Whatever you decide I know that all is going to go well and we'll be seeing some beautiful baby pictures in a few weeks!!!

<span style="color:#4169E1"><span style="font-family:Garamond">http://chasingfirefliesphotos.blogspot.com</span></span>

May 29th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I had an emergency c/s with Gaby, so I had to have an epidural, and i presume I will be having one for the rest of my births!

Quote:
I WILL be having a fetal monitor, and as great as it is to hear her heartbeat like that, she has a tendency to play games with them and make them lose her heartbeat[/b]
Gaby did the same thing whenever I had a fetal monitor, during my induction... It sucks...

Have you considered other pain relief options, such as gas? I can absolutely see why this is such a scary time for you - hun I would be terrified as well!!!!!!!!!! I am sending all the 'easy labour no need for pain relief' vibes I have, over your way!

May 29th, 2007, 03:17 PM
JennO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had DD, like Erin, I couldn't feel her move... I did not have any pain meds either... she was au natural... LOL!!! Not on purpose either! She was just a fast, FAST delivery. With a longer labor, I really don't know what I will do. I thought I would go natural again since I did it before, but really, who knows. I don't expect I will be able to feel baby again either... I have read mixed reviews... sometimes they are MORE active during labor and some say less. Who knows! I hope Rielle comes sooner than the 7th and is a quick labor! You might want to read up on the natural childbirth board about it, just to be "prepared" if you are able to go natural. Good luck Brittanie!!!
JennO

May 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I hope that whatever you do it what is best for you and baby!!

I am planning to go with no epi. I was induced with Jakob and had no plans of going natural that time. I did want to wait as long as possible to get the epi. I am not sure when I got it, I think I was around 5cm at the time. But before I got the epi my labor was going fast! And really well. Then I got the epi and it stopped my contractions and I was feeling pain still. After 3 hours of not chaning they did the c-section. I know that it could have been different things that caused labor to stop though.

But because of what happened this time I am going to try my hardest to not have any drugs at all. Plus I don't want my baby to have any breathing problems (a big fear of mine). Jakob had them and had to stay in the NICU for 8 days. And because epi and other drugs (being induced) can lead to breathing problems with babies I hope to not have any of that either.

All said though I know that things can change when your in there.

If you truley want to go drug free, I highly suggest a doula to help you. They are there for you to help you deal with the pain and help to relax you.

No matter what though whatever works best for you is the best!! I hope she comes before you get induced. Wishing you the best!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search