i have gestational diabetes

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM
lauraec20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a call from my dr yesterday and she said that I have gestational diabetes. Now I have to go to the Diabetes Center to see yet another dr (this will make 4 doctors!). She said my sugar is very high so they are trying to get me in ASAP to start the diet plan and probably the insulin. I guess we will see what they say.

This just stresses me out because I am already very high risk and this is just one more thing to worry about.

Anyone else dealt with this or currently dealing with it? What should I expect?
June 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I too have GD and I am non diet from past 4 weeks or so. My fasting numbers were so high, so they bypassed my 3-hours test and I met the endocrinologist immediately. Luckily, my numbers are looking good, so as far now no insulin. If your numbers come out within the normal change with diet then they will not give insulin I believe. So, take care and do follow their diet strictly. you will be fine. It is not the end of the world to have GD, I know you might have to control your cravings but come on, all we want is a healthy baby right? Let us know how it goes with the nutritionist. There is also a GD board in JM, women there are helpful too. Good luck!
June 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM
jennifer97's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jennifer97
I'm sure all will be just fine!!!! However I am sorry you have to deal with one more thing on top of all else!!!

I cannot offer any helpful advice or information but I hope all goes well with the new doc and will be thinking of you, hoping this doesn't add too much extra stress to your pg!!! Only a few more weeks and all will be over!!!

<span style="color:#4169E1"><span style="font-family:Garamond">http://chasingfirefliesphotos.blogspot.com</span></span>

June 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Quote:
I too have GD and I am non diet from past 4 weeks or so. My fasting numbers were so high, so they bypassed my 3-hours test and I met the endocrinologist immediately. Luckily, my numbers are looking good, so as far now no insulin. If your numbers come out within the normal change with diet then they will not give insulin I believe. So, take care and do follow their diet strictly. you will be fine. It is not the end of the world to have GD, I know you might have to control your cravings but come on, all we want is a healthy baby right? Let us know how it goes with the nutritionist. There is also a GD board in JM, women there are helpful too. Good luck![/b]
They bypassed the 3 hour test for me too since my numbers were so high. I plan on following the diet and doing whatever they tell me to do. I really don't eat a lot of sweets anyway so that part should not be a problem. I am just anxious to get to the Diabetes Center and start doing whatever it is I need to do to lower my numbers.

Thanks for your reply! I will check out that GD board!
June 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow.. there are a lot of us with GD in here right now.

My levels are just borderline for GD, but I've still been put on the GD diet. And although there are a few things I know I'll miss.. it's not as hard as I thought it would be. And for us, there is an end in sight for the diabetes!

You'll get through it.. it's only a few months, and for the healthy baby at the end.. it's sooo worth it!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>
June 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Daniellea22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Daniellea22
sorry to hear that laura..good luck at your appointment sweety
June 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
oh no I am so sorry sweetie!! I don't know, I take my test next week and I am afraid I will fail too. Lots of hugs to you!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

June 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That stinks. I'm sorry. I had my test this past Monday and I'm just awaiting my results now. So we'll wait and see. Hopefully the diet won't be too difficult for you to follow, and that you won't have to take insulin.
June 7th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When should a person get that test? No one has mentioned it to me and I am 35! Arent I at a greater risk because of my age??

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
June 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
AndoriaC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
When should a person get that test? No one has mentioned it to me and I am 35! Arent I at a greater risk because of my age??[/b]
It's usually between 24 and 28 weeks.. they'll let you know when it's time. And actually, I'm not sure if being 35 increases your risk or not.. the pamphlet I was given that said what increased your risk didn't mention anything about age being a factor.

And Nicole and Jess - I hope you both pass with flying colors!!

Click For My Digital Scrapbook Blog</div>
June 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Quote:
When should a person get that test? No one has mentioned it to me and I am 35! Arent I at a greater risk because of my age??[/b]
The research I have done on it does have age as a factor. One source said over 25 and one said over 30. Not sure how much age is a factor compared to other risk factors. THe age is the only risk factor I have though. I am 30. I don't have any of the other risk factors (not overweight, no family history, etc) so I don't know what happened with me.

They will do the test sometime between 24 and 28 weeks. They cannot do it any sooner.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search