update from my appt with diabetes dr

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
lauraec20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I went Friday afternoon to the diabetes clinic to get all the info on dealing with gestational diabetes. THey put me on a VERY strict meal plan/diet. Really have to count carbs and sugars. They taught me how to use the blood sugar meter and how to take my blood 5 times a day. They tested me at the clinic and I was still really high. They said they would give me through the weekend to get the sugar down with the diet or I would have to start insulin this week. I have to call in my blood sugar numbers every Sunday and WEdnesday. My numbers were high over the weekend (not after every meal, but after most) and I had keytones in my urine the past 3 mornings (which in not good). So I called the numbers in last night. I guess I just wait and see if they call today and tell me to come in for the insulin or if they give me a little longer on the diet.

One thing I am wondering about is the fact that I have not gained enough weight and my OB wanted me eating more and now I am on this diet. I told the diabetes dr about needing to gain more weight and not lose weight and he said that he would talk to my OB and maybe we would have to change my diet. THis is all so confusing!!

Update:

The diabetes clinic called and left a message and said due to my high numbers over the weekend, they have called me in a prescription for Glyburide (sp?). When I was there last Friday, they mentioned that usually they start with Insulin, as that is safer than the Glyburide to take during pregnancy. I called my OB's office and left her a message asking if this is what she wants me to do.
June 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Laurec, I am sorry that you also have GD like me! But if you strictly follow the diet, the numbers will be under control. I did not have to take any medication or insulin as my numbers are really good. I just had fasting 1 hour test and they bypassed the 3-hours as my numbers were so high. But I do think that week when I had the glucose test, I had very high calorie diet through out the week. Well, still I am on the diabetes diet. I am a vegetarian by diet, so it makes it little more harder but as long as the baby is fine, i am ready to go through any kinda diet. Just make sure you take a walk after each meals. It really helps in keeping the numbers a little lower. Also, make a note of what you eat everyday for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks. That way you can know what you had if your numbers are high and you can try to avoid that food. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need any more details. Good luck.
June 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
added an update
June 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
Gosh...so sorry you are going through this!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

June 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear about the GD, but hopefully it will be controlled in no time. The key is a healthy baby, and you sound like you're doing everything you can by asking questions. What a great mom you'll be! I wish you all the best.
June 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
jessjillmama's Avatar ***Staying Positive***
I am so sorry you have to deal with all this. I hope whatever meds they get you on it makes everything okay and your still able to eat a good diet so you can gain the weight you need too. Lots of hugs to you!
Ava Sept 14th 2007, Beaux Oct 3rd 2012
* Tubal reversal December 17th 2010

June 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry about the GDM diagnosis-----I was dx with GDM at 26 weeks with Nolan, and started insulin at 29 weeks. I was also on a strict diet, but my numbers kept going up. It was hard work, but my result was a beautiful, healthy baby at the end of 40 weeks! Good luck to you!
Marie
June 12th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I started the Glyburide yesteray. Still had a high number this morning but hopefully the medicine, diet and excercise will do the trick. I am a little worried becuase a couple of women in my DDC said that the Glyburide is not good to take. When I talked to my OB yesterday, she said it was fine. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

THanks ladies!!!
June 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
baby4me?'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could help... but I have no idea. I just wanted to wish you luck. I hope that everything will be fine with all your hard work.

Amanda & Rob married June 16, 2006

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search