Did you find out cause of m/c?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2005, 06:39 AM
JennL
Hi everyone -

I was wondering - for those of you that have had m/c's, were you able to have tests done or find out the cause for the miscarriage? And did getting an answer help for you to deal with the loss better?

I was told that my 1st m/c was due to a blighted ovum, had d & c, but no testing at that point. My 2nd was tested, and the results came back as Trisomy 22 (extra 22nd chromosome, which is almost always fatal for the fetus, and is reportedly very rare with low chances of happening again to us). My DH & I then had our chromosomes checked and found that we don't carry this, or anything else out of the ordinary, which was a slight relief. I guess that having a concrete answer for the 2nd one was helpful - but this still makes me wonder about the real causes of my 1st m/c.

Were any of you able to get any closure? Or did it just bring up new questions?

~Jenn
September 19th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Veteran
After my third concurrenct miscarriage, I had the whole gamet of testing done and was only found to have some high thyroid levels and a short luteal phase - after 4 months on clomid and giving myself shots at home of HCG, we conceived last January.

I was also put on a baby aspirin and thyroid med to regulate the levels.

Getting some answers helped a little bit, but I still grieve when thinking about my other three babies.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

September 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Veteran
With my 1st m/c the heartbeat was very low and the baby was not growing.They told me it was not going to make it.My 2nd the heartbeat was great and i was moving along great then my next us there was nothing.I went through testing and we found that i have an autoantibody clotting issue and also low progerone.Im gld they found problems but also now feel like it was MY bodies problem with the 2nd m/c and if i would have known my baby would be here.With the next pg im hoping all these tests were right and ill be fine
September 19th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Veteran
I had a m/c 10 years ago due to a blighted ovum at 6 wks gestation. I was told nothing ever formed in the sac so I wasn't carrying a baby at any point during that 6 weeks. It did help me to know that I never really lost a real child. Also the fact that I got pregnant again right away helped me get through it.
September 21st, 2005, 06:44 AM
JennL
Thanks for sharing, ladies I guess that it always amazes me the number of different things that can go wrong - especially in the very beginning of pregnancy. I guess that with all of this knowledge, I'm surprised that doctor's aren't more into doing tests for these problems (such as the hormon levels, antibodies, blood disorders, etc) prior to women getting pregnant. We couldn't get any of the testing done until after our second miscarriage as none of it would have been covered by our insurance. Yet another problem with insurance companies!!

Stacy - best of luck with your delivery!! and congratulations in advance

babiez4me - I understand your feelings with it being your body - but you can't change what you aren't aware of - and you had no way of knowing about the levels being off until after the fact unfortunately. Good to know that there are things that the doctors can do to correct this though and prevent it from happening again

mommyangie - I felt pretty much the same way w/my 1st m/c which was a blighted ovum. At first of course I was blaming myself, but after doing some research I realized just how common a blighted ovum was, and obviously that it wasn't anything that we had done wrong, or could have been fixed.

Thanks again for sharing - I really think that for anyone who's experienced a m/c, it really helps to know that they're not alone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search