20 hours of labor!

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Emily!'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Emily! Send a message via Yahoo to Emily!
Ellie is knocked out in her bouncer right now so I figured I'd take this opportunity to give you a shortened version of her arrival.

We arrived at L&D promptly at 8am on Friday. Things got going right away. Stripped me down to the ugly gown, hooked me up to oxytocin and saline, made sure the head was still down, etc. I already knew I wouldn't have my doctor. Some other guy from the practice was gonna handle it. I dubbed him Kramer. Pretty knowledgeable, but still a little out there- like Kramer. Another character, the one year intern whom I dealt with most of the time, I named Polly Pocket. Not entirely sure why. It was the first thing that came to mind. She wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but looking back on it I probably scared the crap out of her too.

The day seemed to drag on. First, Polly couldn't find the baby's head. It would've helped if she actually PRESSED the u/s thingy on my stomach rather than simply gliding it across. I have a gut for pete's sake! A 3 or 4 year intern came in and found the head in like 2 seconds. Literally. So, they'd come in and check on me occasionally and around 3 or so decided to break my water to get things moving. Polly didn't do that. Some other intern did as Polly watched as if taking mental notes (I felt like SUCH a guinea pig).

Things just kept dragging. I had backaches off and on which I found out later were contractions. By 8 or 9 in the evening they were pretty intense but I refused to get an epidural. As you may or may not know, the scale for contractions goes to 100. I was taking them in the upper 90's. Sure, they sucked but I figured we were getting somewhere so they were worth my time and I just got through them. OH! Prior to my contractions being so hard, they figured they'd put a monitor directly on my uterus to get a better idea of their intensity. Polly tried. Polly failed. Kramer came in and did it within 10 seconds.

Onward.

REALLY intense contractions. They checked me around midnight or so and I was only dialated 4-5 cm. What. The. Crap. That's when I gave in to the epidural. I could obviously handle the pain as I'd been doing so for over 2 hours, but I was just annoyed. I DIDN'T want the epidural but was so impatient and aggravated with the way things were going. I was a HUGE baby for the epidural. I was in TEARS. You'd think that if I could handle those contractions, the epi would be a cakewalk. No. I was terrified of having a big ole needle being put in my back and flipped out. Eventually it was in, I went numb and took a nap for about an hour or so. Woke up to Polly saying she wanted to put a monitor ON the baby's head to better monitor her heartbeat as they were losing track of it during every contraction. Again, Polly failed. At this point I started to feel contractions again. This time they were in my crotch rather than my back. Plus, I had an epidural so I was wondering why I was feeling them.

More time passes, I'm complaining and blaming Polly (not while she was around) for me feeling contractions again (assuming it was because she screwed up putting the monitor on the baby's head). They call back the epidural guy and he puts a HUGE shot directly into my catheter. Ahhh. Much better. Kramer comes in to check on me and says it's time to push. Chris was GREAT. I could've pushed all day thanks to that epi. I don't think I even pushed for 20 minutes. It was great. All Chris could say when she came out was "You're a Mommy!". It was really cute.

I was gonna write more but she's awake. That'll do.

one more pic:

November 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great story teller you are!!! You should write books. I couldn't stop laughing at Polly and Kramer..LOL! Anyway - sounds like you are super Mom! You did most of it with no epi. I know I can't do that. Sounds like for the most part it wasn't too horrific which is good.
BTW - She is just so beautiful!
November 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
mrsdismang
The story we've all been waiting for! Like Sabina said, what a great storyteller. I can't believe how much color your little girl's eyes have. She is adorable.
November 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing your hilarious story! I swear, you remind me so much of my mom. Your personalities are so similar! Maybe your little girl will be super-serious like me! Ha!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
20 hours? You are a champ!! Great story and congrats she's so sweet looking!

November 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
thank you so much for sharing your story! Your little bundle of (pink) joy is so beautiful!

November 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Blessedx3
what a fantanstic story you have there!!!! what a cast of characters too polly and kramer .. thats way way too funny!!!!! i hope you print a copy of that out and save it in miss ellie's baby book! it sounds like it was a real adventure!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search