progesterone injections?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
so, i had my dr appointment today and my dr was discussing progesterone injections. she said it is mainly used to prevent preterm labor in those who have a history of preterm births. while i do have a history of preterm labor, i still managed to carry both of the girls to 39 weeks. they had me on brethine which kind of worked but i still went into labor quite a few times. so she said they would not automatically put me on them, but that if i start to have a lot of problems then they will probably want to send me for the weekly injections.

i just googled this and it is still an experimental procedure and long term effects on the child are still not know. that really worries me. although, i don't want to deliver prematurely either. but since the brethine worked for me before, i don't know why they wouldn't just use that instead of something experimental. anyways, has anyone done the injections through the entire pregnancy and what is your experience with it?

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
December 19th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Doodle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not heard of it to prevent PTL. I would be much more open to this then turbutaline which does evil things to my body and I now always refuse much to the dismay of my highrisk doctor. I know that i have taken progesterone pills the first 12 weeks of my pregnancies and thus far it does not seem to have negatively affected any of my children.

December 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
that's a good point, i guess it wouldn't be any different than the suppositories i am already on. thanks! i'm really hoping i won't be needing them though!

December 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I have no experience with this hun, but obviously it is your decision!!! If you're more comfortable with what has worked for you in the past, then i'd totally go for that! I guess it's a matter of finding out all you can about the progesterone injections & weighing it all up

December 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well, i wouldn't really say what i was on before actually worked. it may have slowed things down, but i was still in and out of the hospital with false labor. i think i have a lot of research to so. although, sometimes that's not always the best cause you find all kinds of horrible things lol..... you know, i really wish i could be one of the lucky ones who don't have complicated pregnancies!

December 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
I'm on the progesterone shots now, but I've always miscarried in the past (probably due to chromosomal abnormalities). I'm in the same boat as you because I'm a little concerned that my progesterone levels are so high - 225 at 4 weeks, when it's supposed to be around 20 at that stage. I hope it doesn't have any affect on the baby, but my RE is very conservative so I think if there was any question of safety he wouldn't have me on such a high dosage. It can have side effects like nausea, bloating, shortness of breath etc. (typical pg symptoms).

Ice for a few minutes before you take your shot, then you won't feel a thing! Without the ice, ouch. Those progesterone needles are really big.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

December 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks! man, i am scared to death of needles!! i really hope i won't be needing them because the thought of sticking myself with one makes me really nervous lol

December 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hopefully you'll only have to take the suppositories if anything at all! Actually though your DH would be the one giving you the shots, since they go in your tushie and it's hard to turn around and do it yourself.

8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses

December 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i am already on the suppositories until 12 weeks, then they want to wait and see how i do before deciding if they want to do the injections. i will probably need them though, with both of my other pregnancies i was constantly in the hospital for them to stop my labor. and i was a heck of a lot younger back then so i imagine this one will be even harder to hold on to. i always wished i could be one of the lucky ones who got to enjoy a nice, uncomplicated pregnancy *sigh*

and i think DH sticking me scares me even more then sticking myself

December 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad Lisa has some experience with this to help you out, Julia. That's what JM is best for!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

December 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Quote:
and i think DH sticking me scares me even more then sticking myself [/b]
Tell me about it! I was terrified... especially when he turned white and gagged when I showed him how to do it. But, it's actually a lot easier to have someone else do it, because then you don't have to look. Looking is the hardest part! If you ice well you'll barely feel a thing.

December 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm glad Lisa has some experience with this to help you out, Julia. That's what JM is best for![/b]
i know! i love JM, there is always someone who has an answer!

Quote:
Quote:
and i think DH sticking me scares me even more then sticking myself [/b]
Tell me about it! I was terrified... especially when he turned white and gagged when I showed him how to do it. But, it's actually a lot easier to have someone else do it, because then you don't have to look. Looking is the hardest part! If you ice well you'll barely feel a thing.
[/b]
that is too funny lol.... men are such babies sometimes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search