If you plan to breastfeed, are you buying a breast pump?

Forum: Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
honestly, I have no idea yet !!

January 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Well, as a BTDT Mama... I do recommend women who intend on b/f buy a breastpump.... I had EVERY intention of b/f - I wanted to b/f up until 12 months if I could, but Gaby had different ideas - we just couldn't master the art So thankfully I had a breast pump & was able to express for two weeks, before I put her solely on formula.......

If you can afford it, i'd definately go with the electric pump - I wish I had bought an electric pump from day one, because I think if I had, I might have been able to express for longer.....

January 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
tiffani76541's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also advise you to buy a breastpump if you intend to breastfeed.BUT I will tell you what the lactation consultant told me at the hospital.INVEST IN A MEDELA! Companies, such as Evenflo or Playtex, make breastpumps, because they make everything else, so they figure, why not?And they end up being mediocre products. My milk dried up very quickly. Austin just COULD NOT latch and stay latched. (He STILL curls both of his lips inward, even on his bottle.)And I tried to pump, but dried up pretty quickly. Of course I was using a crappy pump, and my LC said that was probably why.
January 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am worried about buying breast pump and then not using it. My sister had problems with both where she made milk but it couldn't come out of her nipple. Not sure if anyone has had this happen. I can't exactly remember what happened but anyways I was thinking of waiting until after the little man gets here and getting one with our gift certificates if we need it.
January 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVED my Medela!!! I have it put away to use with the new baby.

Don't buy a hand held pump b/c they are crap and just make your hand hurt! Electric pumps are the way to go and it is nice to pump and build a stock in the freezer incase you get sick and to take meds that can pass to baby. It is also nice to pump a bottle so daddy can help with the feedings.

January 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM
sunnie83
I have decided to breastfeed if everything goes well - i.e. my breasts/milk cooperate and the baby does as well! I don't need to buy one as my SIL had a baby August 2006 and she planned on breastfeeding but her milk never came in, then when it did it wasn't much so she gave up after a month of trying. So she is giving me her Medela pump!! Yay!
January 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
I am worried about buying breast pump and then not using it. My sister had problems with both where she made milk but it couldn't come out of her nipple. Not sure if anyone has had this happen. I can't exactly remember what happened but anyways I was thinking of waiting until after the little man gets here and getting one with our gift certificates if we need it.[/b]
That's exactly what happened to my mother. She wasn't able to bf any of us.

I was on WIC, and I was working at the time, so they gave me a medela double electric pump. I'm not working now, and I'm not bfing any more either, but they aren't making me give it back since I'm planning on having more children eventually.

WOOHOO! It was great. So much better than the stupid manual one I had. But in the end, I still hated it. I felt like a dairy cow. It was so much better to just give it straight to the baby. Which is why when I decided to stop bfing we went straight to formula instead of pumping. That, and at that point pumping hurt too.

January 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
lovemyluck's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be breastfeeding, and I have a Medela Pump In Style that I LOVE!! I wish I would have had it when I had Mikaela!! I got it when I was pregnant with Carter and have used it for Carter and Keaton!! I would have used it with Carli if I could have!!! Game plan is to use it this time with Mackenzie too!! I love it!! I have a double pump and it makes it so easy to use!! I did use the other cheaper ones when I had Mikaela, and let me tell you, the Medela makes all the difference in the world!!

<span style="color:#FF00FF"><span style="font-family:Tahoma"> Carli Mae Montage #1 Carli Mae Montage #2</span></span> Thanks Sara for my great sig!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search