The Big Interview with MotherFrog, mom who had 5 c-sections!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section - Tips, Photos, Information & Articles LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
All right ladies here are the answers to all your questions. I tried my best to answer all of them. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask me!

DISCLAIMER! THIS INTERVIEW IS ABOUT MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND SHOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. WHAT I DID AND WHAT YOU CAN DO MAY NOT BE THE SAME. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DR. BEFORE TRYING TO GO BY WHAT I SAY.

1. Which recovery was the hardest?
-----My first! I had never had surgery before much less a baby! I had to learn to do things differently and ask for help. I did not like being on the pain pills but I learned quickly to take them even though I felt fine at one point but I knew I would be in pain later. I had to learn to rest more and take it easy.
2. Do you feel like each recovery got easier and easier?
-----Yes, very much so. I knew what my limits might be and what I could possibly expect with each recovery. I had some what of an idea but each one still still different. I just took it one day at a time and eash day I could do a little bit more but I would never push myself.
3. Has your uterus ever been checked by ultrasound to see how thin it is?
-----No. After my last c-section, I was told by my OB that it was pretty thin and said if I was to ever get pregnant again, I could never labor. Labor is not something I want to do anyway. I was in labor for many days with my second child with no progress and for me that was no fun. That was enough for me.
4. Have all of your sections been through the same incision?
-----Kind of. I can see a couple of different lines and honestly, I don't know which one is from which child. The scars are a few millimeters (maybe a centimeter) apart and you can only see there are more than one if you look really close.
5. What does your Dr. think of a 6th c-section?
-----My GP (general practitioner) gives me dirty looks but she doesn't really see large families anymore, not too many of us here. I think it's the number of children that scares her rather than the surgery. My OBGYN, on the other hand, is very supportive and has spoke with me about the risks which include preterm labor and possibly uterine rupture, so I'm pretty well informed I think. I was also told the same risks after my first section. I think they have to tell you all the bad stuff so there are no surprises down the road!
6. In your personal opinion, which do you prefer? A spinal or epidural?
-----Personally, I like epidurals much better. I had a spinal headache with my first and as soon as they made me get up and walk, I got a spinal headache. Worst pain I had had in my life ever! I was screaming in pain and crying! I told the nurses what was going on and they looked at me like I was an idiot! Found out later none of them had never had a c-section. I requested epidurals after that.
7. How many months apart are your children?
-----The closest two are 1 year, 2 weeks, and 2 days apart. Basically conceived the same month but a different year. The others are 18 months or more apart. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
8. What have your Dr.'s said about family spacing?
-----Nothing really but I guess I never really asked, which is something you should do! On the other hand, no one ever said I was having them too close together.
9. Do your pregnancies get more complicated, like scar pain?
-----With each pregnancy I had to rest a little more. The weight of the pregnancy would irritate my scar and make it a little tender. With pregnancy, your muscles there stretch and with a prior c-section, they've cut into those muscles and basically you are stretching your scar some. More so the internal scar and not the outer one. The only other issue I have is I am at risk for preterm labor but not so much from prior c-sections. I just do way too much!
10. Have your Dr.'s ever advised you against more babies?
-----Nope, not yet! I have the desire to have a 6th child and that will be our last. So if my Dr. says no more, he'll have no argument from me. I'll more than likely get a tubal anyway.

WOW, this is getting long! It's going to take me 2 more posts to answer them all!

Last edited by MotherFrog; April 21st, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
June 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
11. How much impact does the spacing of the pregnancies have on how many safe c-sections one can have in your opinion?
-----In my opinion I'd say 15-18 months to let your body rest and heal is great but then again I had to babies a year apart.
12. How realistic is it that I can have c-section #3 less than 18 months from #2 and still be able to have #4 a few years down the road?
-----I did it BUT that was me. I'd say go for it as long as your OBGYN is on board. Generally you should be ok but things can happen and plans can change. 18 months is good but you have to have a long informed talk with your Dr.
13. Was your first c-section planned? If not, why the other c-sections?
-----My first section was planned at last minute. I was basically given a week notice. The reason for all the other sections, well, apparently my babies love being breech. All of them. Have no clue as to why and neither does my Dr., it may be because of my height and have no room for them to grow. I'm only 5'4 and I have a short torso.
14. Why did you have a c-section with your first?
-----My oldest I guess was in a rare breech position. Well, it was rare 13 years ago I should say. She was a Frank Breech. Basically what it is, her head was up in my ribs (and stuck too!), her but was basically in my pelvis and her feet were up by her head, also stuck in my ribs. No way was she coming out. They had discussed turning her at one point, so the did a scan, saw her position, and then started rediscussing. Then they saw her cord, nope not going to risk turning the baby. Her cord was super short and the placenta was above her head. They said they had never seen a case with all off those combinations at once!
15. What is your best c-section memory?
-----Each one of them gave me some of the greatest memories of my life! My first never cried and she was the easiest of all my babies. Hearing the rest of them cry in the OR was amazing! My third baby, I was able to hold and breastfeed in the recovery roo, and I have to say that was my favorite out of all of them.
June 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
16. What was the scariest and why?
-----My last one was very scary but not because of the c-section. He was born with an extremely rare heart defect and no one knew it till he had to be flown to Children's Hospital in New Orleans, 3 hours away. He'd already been transferred once after he was born. No one knew what was wrong but once he got to CH they knew right away. I was all alone, no family, no friends, and I had to take the bus 4 days later to go to my son. He was also roughly 10 weeks early. And 6 pounds. He's fine now, they corrected the defect when he was 2 weeks old. You can't tell he had a very rough start in life.
17. How many c-sections will your Dr allow you before he tells you no more?
-----My next one will be my last, granted I wanted 8 kids when I was younger but I think 6 is close enough.
18. What was the recovery like for each section? Better each time?
-----My first took the longest to recover from. Never had surgery before, never broken a bone, nothing. With each section after that, it did get easier! You have to set limits for yourself, you have to ask for help, and YES you have to be LAZY!!
19. Did the c-sections interfere with your ideal scenario of having your babies? like breastfeeding and bonding?
-----I didn't like having to wait for up to a couple of hours to hold my babies! Mama's who deliver vaginally have it made! They get their babies almost immediately but I do understand why I couldn't have mine right away. The stitching up, the cleaning up, and recovery room. I will tell you the minute my babies were brought to me, I forgot about the wait. It was all worth waiting a little bit longer, I mean, I was going to have them the rest of their lives, what's a little wait? As long as they were all the healthy and happy (minus the last one) it was all worth it and I plan on doing it one more time!
20. What do you believe is the single most important thing about recovery?
-----REST!!! Ask for help. The only thing you should be focused on right now is you and your new baby. Forget about the housework for a few weeks, let some one else do all the work. You can always do it your way once you are recovered! Better to ask for help than to hurt yourself in the long run and have a set back.
21. Any other tips? Prepping for a c-section? During it? After?
-----Nesting will help with prepping for a c-section. Make sure everything is with in arms reach from your bed or recliner before you head to the hospital!
-----During the section, there is really nothing for you to do but listen. If you do have some anxiety let them know and practice your breathing. I took child birth classes with my first thinking I was going to have a vaginal delivery. Well those breathing tips came in handy during the section. I was 18 and scared. I used my breathing to calm myself down and it really worked. So take a childbirth class even if you are going to have a c-section anyway. I highly recommend it and it doesn't hurt to be well informed anyway.
-----Afterwards, I carried a little basket around with me when I wasn't carrying my babies. You shouldn't lift anything BUT your baby after surgery anyway. The basket had the monitor in it, breast pads, nipple cream, burp rags, chapstick and a little note book I used for feeding notes or other reminders. Most important is just to rest and bond with your baby!
-------The End!-----------------------------------------------------------------

WHEW!! LONG! I hope I was able to answer in good detail all the questions you ladies had! If there are any more I would be happy to answer them!

Looking forward to the replies!

Last edited by MotherFrog; April 21st, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
June 25th, 2009, 07:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
very interesting, thank you for sharing

June 25th, 2009, 03:13 PM
mrschamberlain's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you had to go through that with your son. How scary! This was such great information, and I'm so glad you did this for us. I think it's great you've had so many babies!

I do want to ask you about something, but I am going to PM you.
Angie-wife to Justin, mom to Kaeden, and TTC #2
June 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
AmandaR
Thank you so much for doing this.
June 25th, 2009, 08:26 PM
worried27
Wow, Wow, Wow!!! I wish I had the same courage as you. I want to TTC another but I'm too scared because of my c-section scar. I was very depressed for a while when my OB told me I could only have 2 more children because of the c-section. I wanted to be able to make that decision, I wanted to be able to have all the kids I wanted. I never knew women can have a lot more that 3 sections. I'm glad you shared your experience. I want 4 children and hearing your story makes me very optimistic now and I'm excited to start TTC again very soon.
June 25th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Remember the disclaimer ladies. Just because I did it doesn't mean everyone can PLEASE Talk to your OBGYN!

June 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM
can we get this stickied? It might help those in the future, I dunno.

June 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm still out of town despite trying everything to get home (car trouble) but my DH has the car at the dealership getting a once over right now and once I'm home I can get this stickied and get things rolling around here again.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
July 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great interview! Finally got a minute to read it all and your answers are amazing and so informative.

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
July 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
ldovey83's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really enjoyed this.. I to had a similar expierence with my first son being breech and so I have opted to have repeat csections... I found your information very informative.. All the info was nice to know...Thanks for sharing..
July 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for sharing! any other babies we have (if any ever) will be repeat c-sections, I can't labor either since I did have a uterine rupture at 7w the pregnancy before Kaiden. It's nice to hear from someone who has had this kind of experience.
July 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm was happy to do it and I'm glad you girls liked the read.

BTW UPDATE! We are going to have that 6th c-section! Due March 8th, 2010!

Update again! Had a chemical with that cycle BUT

We are officially pregnant with our 6th and final baby! Due 10/10/10 We are past the chemical stage! Let this be a sticky!!!!

Last edited by MotherFrog; February 6th, 2010 at 02:46 AM.
July 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
worried27
Congratulations!!!
July 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for sharing.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
February 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Edd 10/10/10!!!!

April 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
*Cheyenne*
What a great and very informative post! I really enjoyed reading this!
January 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Thanks you for taking the time to answer these. They are really appreciated.
December 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I know tis post is now old, but i just wanted t say you have inspired me, i am on my second baby and would love 2 more, i now have the courage to speak to my doctor and tellhim what i am wanting, without feeling silly and i now know it CAN be done.. thank u

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search