The C-section Mommy Hospital Bag!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section - Tips, Photos, Information & Articles LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
What did you pack?
What did you wish you had?
What could have been left at home?

I can't remember what to pack!!! I thought if we made a list of things we used and all that, the mommies after us would have an easier time of it.

What did you pack and what should a c-section mommy pack in her bags?

For Mom (what I can remember)
7 nighties (in case of accidents)
4-5 nursing bras
a robe
slippers
socks! lots of socks!
at least a weeks worth of underpants if not more
breast pads
toiletries
pads you actually like!
Extra pillow and blanket (to make you more comfy, hospital ones suck)

For Baby (USA moms are provided pretty much everything for baby)
Going Home Outfit.
couple of snuggly blankets

May 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
WHAT SHOULD YOU PACK FOR A C-SECTION DELIVERY

You're likely to be in the hospital for four or five days after a c-section. Use our list to make sure you have everything you need for your stay.

We recommend packing your bag when you're eight months pregnant. Remember: Your body doesn't know you have a c-section scheduled. You could go into labor at any time in the weeks before your scheduled date.

For you

• A picture ID (driver's license or other ID), your insurance card, and any hospital paperwork you need

• A list of people to call and their phone numbers, your cell phone and charger, or, if you'll be using the hospital phone, a prepaid phone card

After your baby's born, you'll want to call family and friends to let them know the good news. Make a list of people you'll want to contact ahead of time so you don't forget someone important when you're exhausted after delivery.

• Toiletries

Pack a few personal items, such as a toothbrush and toothpaste, lip balm, deodorant, a brush and comb, makeup, and a hair band or barrettes. Hospitals usually provide soap, shampoo, and lotion, but you might prefer your own.

• Eyeglasses

Even if you usually wear contacts, you may not want to deal with them while you're in the hospital.

• A bathrobe, a nightgown or two, slippers, and a few pairs of socks

Hospitals provide gowns and socks for you to use during your stay, but most will allow you to wear your own clothes if you prefer. Choose something loose and comfortable that you don't mind getting dirty. Your own slippers and robe come in handy once you're up and walking around.

• Comfortable nursing bras or regular bras

Whether or not you choose to breastfeed, your breasts are likely to be tender and swollen when your milk comes in. This can happen anytime during the first several days after delivery. Once it does, breast pads can help absorb leaks.

• Several pairs of maternity underpants

Some women love the mesh underwear usually provided by the hospital; others don't. You can't go wrong with your own roomy cotton underpants. Make sure the waistband is loose enough that it won't press on your abdomen at all. The hospital will provide sanitary pads, which you'll need because even after a c-section, you'll bleed after delivery. Make sure you have a supply of heavy-duty pads waiting at home!

• Snacks!

Once the nurses give you the okay to start eating, you may be pretty hungry, and you won't want to rely solely on hospital food. So bring your own – crackers, fresh or dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, or whatever you think you'll enjoy. A bottle of nonalcoholic champagne might be fun for celebrating, too.

• A book on newborn care

The hospital will probably provide you with a book, but you may prefer your own. Of course, the postpartum nurses will be there to answer questions and show you how to change, hold, nurse, and bathe your newborn if you need guidance.

• Whatever will help you relax and feel comfortable

Here are some possibilities: your own pillow (use a patterned or colorful pillowcase so it doesn't get mixed up with the hospital's pillows), music and something to play it on, light reading material, a sleep mask to help you nap during the day.

• Photos of your other children

When they come to visit, they'll see that you haven't forgotten them.

• Gifts for older siblings

Some parents bring gifts for the new baby to "give" to big brothers and sisters.

• A notepad or journal and pen or pencil

Track your baby's feeding sessions, write down questions you have for the nurse, note what the pediatrician tells you, jot down memories of your baby's first few days, and so on. Some people bring a baby book so they can record the birth details right away.

• A going-home outfit

Bring something roomy and easy to get into (believe it or not, you'll probably still look 5 or 6 months pregnant) and a pair of flat, comfortable shoes. If you're going to wear pants, make sure the waistband is loose and won't press on your incision.

For your partner

• A camera or video camera with batteries, charger, and memory card (or film or tape)

• Toiletries

• Comfortable shoes and a few changes of comfortable clothes

• Snacks and something to read

• Money for parking and change for vending machines

For your baby

• An installed infant car seat

You can't drive your baby home without one! Have the seat properly installed ahead of time and know how to buckle in your baby correctly.

• Baby clothes for the hospital stay

The hospital will provide diapers and some sort of clothing, such as a pair of pajamas or a sleep shirt. You can bring baby clothes of your own if you like. One-piece stretchy outfits that snap or zip up the front are easiest for diaper changes.

• A going-home outfit

Your baby will need an outfit to go home in, including socks or booties if the clothing doesn't have feet, and a soft cap if the air is likely to be cool. Make sure the legs on your baby's clothes are separate so the car seat strap can fit between them.

• A receiving blanket

The hospital will provide blankets for swaddling your baby while you're there, but you may want to bring your own to tuck around your baby in the car seat for the ride home. Make it a heavy one if the weather's cold.

What not to bring

• Jewelry

• Lots of cash or other valuables

• Medications, including vitamins

Let your doctor know whether you're on any medications. The hospital will provide them for you if your doctor agrees that you should continue to take them while you're there.

• Diapers

The hospital will provide diapers for your baby while you're there. Leave your supply at home.

• A breast pump

If you end up needing a breast pump for any reason, the hospital can provide one.

May 4th, 2010, 04:21 AM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
Thanks for this post.
Im packing my hospital bag at the moment and I was unsure what I might have missed.

I didnt have a c section for my last birth, but I agree on LOTS of underwear and pyjama bottoms as accidents can occur.

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM
KimberlyD0
actually underwear was the one thing I didn't need.

They supplied these supper comfy net ones that didn't put any pressure on my insision. They even let me take so home.
May 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Having just revisited the hospital last week (to have my gallbladder removed!). I have to say snacks, slippers, nursing bras, hair ties, toothbrush, tooth paste, hair brush, a personal pillow, a cell phone, and going home out fits (mom and baby) are the necessities. PJ's are nice but the hospital gown is easy access for breast feeding. Underwear are good but the mesh ones are good too!

I used a premade list for everything someone thought I would need for my c/s but I didn't use most of it and sent it home with my family the first day! The hospital provided most everything I and my husband needed and I prefered the hospital gown because I had an IV for my entire visit. Just make sure to ask for an extra gown to wear as a robe!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
May 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
I packed nothing myself bcuz I had to go to the hospital right after my appt due to protein in urine.
May 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Emma, can we have this stickied?

May 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You got it all! I also like the hospital undies, but remember to bring some "granny panties" in case you don't get any from the hospital (they may not be hot but they will be the only kind of undies you can comfortably wear after a low transverse incision). Also, if you bring pants make sure they are large enough to fit over your belly at about 5 months Pregnant because you will still have a belly and possibly some swelling and water retention, also make sure your pants come up to your waist, like drawsting pants because your tummy will be tender everywhere and you do not want tight elastic. I also recommend pads because the hospital ones are huge! LOL They feel like diapers. I know some people dont bring clothes to wear in the hospital because they dont want them to get messed up, but mine never have and anyway, its so nice to wear your own clothes. It is also easier to get up and take a shower ASAP (which you should do because in the end it makes you feel sooo much better!) right away if you pack nice toiletries and a few lotions and things to pamper yourself (not strong fragrances though because you don't want to bother your babies little nose, and nothing on your breasts!!). I also think its good to bring your favorite book or movie along.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
May 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
GREAT idea for a thread!! I will go ask for it to be stickied ASAP!

June 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
TettymuhBear's Avatar Brandi
A Boppy pillow or something similar so the baby isn't putting as much pressure on your incision area. ..it's also great for any small children that visit that may want to hold the baby (assuming you're ok with that, of course!)

Oh, & when it comes to pants i say GO PJs!!!! Seriously--i felt like EVERYTHING--even maternity pants were putting too much pressure on my incision! ugh

Lotion & chapstick--Honestly i HATE lotion, but i guess from the dry air (& maybe the morphine from the spinal since it made my nose itch so much) the edges of my nose got really dried out. Same goes for my lips.

Something with an alarm on it: cell phone/watch/small alarm clock, etc.--I was given Percocet whenever my spinal wore off. However, they aren't allowed to give you that unless you ask for it because it's a narcotic (idk if that policy is the same everywhere but i wouldn't take the chance!). This means that you need to ask for it every 4 hrs (or however often you're allowed to have whatever meds you're given), & you don't want to wait till the pain kicks in kuz it makes it that much harder to manage. So, set the alarm to go off 10-15mins before your next dose so you can call the nurse!! I mean, that stuff is worth the interruption in sleep, i promise!!
July 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
bump

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search