Ceserean Birth Plan Ideas!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section - Tips, Photos, Information & Articles LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2010, 07:23 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lets try to compile a great list of ideas for things to put on your C-section Birth Plan and maybe this can be stickied!

Here are a few I can think of, but I am hoping to get ideas from you mammas!

*Spinal/Epidural before Catheter
*Arms free and not strapped down
*DH in room
*If mother is put under General Anestesia father will stay in operating room and have the baby ASAP after delivery
*Double stitch Uterus
*Steritape or stiches on outside incision/ no staples!
*Antibiotics requested to prevent infection
*Sensitive to narcotics! Please administer anti-nauseau meds with morphine
*Please give baby to mother immediately after delivery (if possible) for bonding and breastfeeding
*Delay first bath for a few hours so mother and baby have time to bond
*Baby will be exclusively Breastfed/ No formula!
*Baby will room-in with mother/ do not take or ask to take baby to nursery

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
May 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
This is going on my birth plan since I hemorrhaged last time:

If hemorrhaging occurs during surgery and hematocrit levels are "borderline" for a blood transfusion, give me the transfusion.

Remove the catheter in the early morning instead of late evening so that I can get a good night's sleep.

May 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
"If hemorrhaging occurs during surgery and hematocrit levels are "borderline" for a blood transfusion, give me the transfusion."
Not sure what hematocrit levels are but do you mean that is you are on the borderline for needing a transfusion you would like one? Thats a good idea. Did you not get a transfusion and suffer
alot from loss of blood? Do you mind if I ask what caused your hemmorrage?

May 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Transfusions scare me. I was borderline for needing one with DS, and I'm glad that I didn't have one. I suppose it's one of those things that is different for everyone though.
May 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
another good idea for a sticky! you ladies are onto it this week

May 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaMom64 View Post
Lets try to compile a great list of ideas for things to put on your C-section Birth Plan and maybe this can be stickied!

Here are a few I can think of, but I am hoping to get ideas from you mammas!

*Spinal/Epidural before Catheter
*Arms free and not strapped down
*DH in room
*If mother is put under General Anestesia father will stay in operating room and have the baby ASAP after delivery
*Double stitch Uterus
*Steritape or stiches on outside incision/ no staples!
*Antibiotics requested to prevent infection
*Sensitive to narcotics! Please administer anti-nauseau meds with morphine
*Please give baby to mother immediately after delivery (if possible) for bonding and breastfeeding
*Delay first bath for a few hours so mother and baby have time to bond
*Baby will be exclusively Breastfed/ No formula!
*Baby will room-in with mother/ do not take or ask to take baby to nursery

Thanks for this list. I didn't think to have a plan. Do you just give it to the dr, or how does it work?

May 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
You should give a copy to your doctor, a copy to the hospital maternity ward head nurse to put on your chart and keep several copies in your bag to hand out when you are at the hospital.

May 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Why no staples????

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
It's not formatted for a "birth plan" but I copied this from a thread in my DDC way back when on advice for moms anticipating a planned c/s:

Here is a list of questions I came up with to discuss with my midwives in an effort to make my birth everything I need it to be - regardless of how the baby is born. Maybe some of them will help you?

1) My husband and I believe that the birth of a child is a spiritual, family event. For this reason, I do not with to be separated from my husband to be "prepped" for surgery. Is this possible? If not, what are the medical reasons for requiring separation? Can I sign a waiver and accept whatever "risks" the hospital is concerned about?
2) I have read that many anesthesiologists administer a narcotic to keep the patient calm along with the epidural or spinal block. From what I can tell, this sometimes causes nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and/or inability to fully control those muscles not affected by the epidural. I am concerned that this could interfere with my ability to bond with my daughter. Is this routine here? Can I decline this medication without affecting the outcome of the procedure itself?
3) Can I remove my own pubic hair (where necessary) prior to the procedure?
4) On television programs that show childbirth, c-section patients sometimes have their arms restrained by some sort of straps to the operating table. Is this routine procedure here? If so, what would happen if I decline this?
5) Is it possible to have the surgeon or midwife talk me through the procedure as it is happening? ("We are now making an incision. Now we're going to....") I feel like the procedure would be less scary if I know what is going on and can feel like an active participant instead of a passive recipient. The standard "you may feel some pressure" is just not enough for me....
6) Assuming the baby does not require immediate medical attention, can she be placed on my chest for bonding?
7) Assuming the baby is OK, can my husband hold her and stay with me for the rest of the procedure?
8) Once in recovery, how long will I be separated from my baby and for what reasons? Can another family member sit with me if my husband needs to be with our daughter?
9) I would like to nurse as soon as possible. Assuming the baby is OK, when will I be allowed to try?

Here are some tips that my Mom suggested to help emotionally deal with a c/s (she's had a bunch and performed thousands):
*Have friends or family decorate your PP room while you are in the OR. This way you will exit the recovery room and enter a room filled with warmth, flowers, & YOUR belongings. Be sure to include a welcome banner for Patrick AND a banner acknowledging the hard work you did to bring him into the world.
*Ask your OB to leave the epidural in place for 12-18 hours. This will allow you to spend some time bonding with your son without having to deal with any post-operative pain. You won't be able to walk or shower (which sucks) but she claims it helps with establishing nursing.
*Design a welcome to the world ceremony for Patrick. Include things like dressing him up, taking his foot and hand print, photos with important family members, a gift exchange where you present Patrick with something to commemorate his birth and you and your DH exchange gifts to commemorate becoming parents.
*Starting today, begin and end every day by looking in the mirror and repeating this (or a similar) promise to Patrick and yourself: "I am your Mommy, and you are my son. I created you, carried you, loved you, nourished you, and protected you; and I will continue to do so for the rest of my life. Nothing can diminish the joy you have brought me just by being who you are and who you will be"
*Insist that everyone use the words "cesarean birth" or simply "birth" rather than c-section, procedure, surgery, etc. Don't let them or you forget that regardless of the method, you are giving birth to this child.
*Find out who your recovery nurse will be (if your c/s is scheduled, they should be able to tell you ahead of time who will be assigned to your care based on who is on duty that day) and meet her ahead of time if possible.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
October 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaMom64 View Post
"If hemorrhaging occurs during surgery and hematocrit levels are "borderline" for a blood transfusion, give me the transfusion."
Not sure what hematocrit levels are but do you mean that is you are on the borderline for needing a transfusion you would like one? Thats a good idea. Did you not get a transfusion and suffer
alot from loss of blood? Do you mind if I ask what caused your hemmorrage?
Sorry it took me so long to reply... I don't visit this board very often.
Hematocrit levels are your iron levels. When I had Josiah, I hemorrhaged during the c/s and lost over 2 pints of blood. It could have been partly because I labored first, or I might just be one of those people who is more susceptible to this... I'm a redhead, and the nurses said redheads often bleed more. Anyways, I was considered "borderline" in need of a blood transfusion after my last c/s, and they decided to see if my body could get it's iron level back up without the transfusion. I was in the hospital for five days because I was so incredibly sick (throwing up constantly, super weak). It took a full year for me to feel like my body had replenished the iron that was lost. I battled anemia that whole time, especially around my menstrual periods. So... it's going in my birth plan that if this ever happens again, I want a blood transfusion to get me back on my feet more quickly!

December 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM
These are my wishes for my delivery and care of my baby. I understand that medical necessity may override these wishes. I trust my doctor’s expertise and ability to provide excellent care. My goal in writing this plan is for my surgery to be as natural a birth experience as possible. My wish is to feel involved during the delivery and present for the initial experiences and care of my baby. It is our wish to spend as much time bonding with and caring for our baby with minimal interventions and interruptions. I plan to breastfeed exclusively, and aim to take the best measures to ensure the success of our breastfeeding relationship and my milk supply.

Delivery wishes:
1. I would like to be allowed to go into labor on my own, without scheduling a date for my delivery. I feel this will ensure my baby is ready to be born, and that we will both benefit from my labor hormones and initial contractions.
2. I want my partner with me and/or the baby at all times, including preparation for the surgery and spinal block placement.
3. I would like a spinal block for anesthesia. I would like the catheter to be placed after the spinal has taken effect.
4. I do not consent to any pre, peri, or postoperative medication without my verbal consent.
5. If I must be put under general anesthesia, I want my husband to be allowed to remain in the room, and to be given the baby as soon as possible.
6. I do not consent to a blood transfusion, non-blood expanders are acceptable. Please see my Advanced Medical Directive.
7. I do not consent to having my arms strapped down unless I am physically unable to control them. I am familiar with surgical fields and understand the necessity of maintaining a sterile surgical field.
8. I want to see the birth of my baby, please do not use a curtain so I can view the baby emerging. We would like to videotape or photograph the birth of our baby.
9. I would like my incision to be closed with steritape, not stitches or staples.
10. I want my baby placed immediately on my chest with a warm blanket over us. I would like to initiate skin-to-skin contact and begin nursing as soon as possible, in the operating room throughout the surgery and in the recovery room.
11. I would like necessary newborn exams be done in my line of sight, with my baby being held by my husband, or even on my chest if possible.
12. I would like the first bath and all non-critical treatments and exams to be delayed so I can bond with my baby during her first hours.

Baby care wishes:
1. If my baby must be taken to the nursery or another care facility, I want my husband to accompany her.
2. I would like no water or formula given to my baby, I want to exclusively nurse, or express breast milk if needed. No pacifier should be used without my approval.
3. I want my baby in my room at all times unless a procedure or test is needed that must be done elsewhere, during which I want my husband to accompany her.
4. I do not consent to a blood transfusion for my baby. Non blood expanders are acceptable.
5. I do not consent to any immunizations of my baby without my consent.
6. I would like minimal interruptions while we recover in our room. I greatly appreciate and enjoy the care and instruction from our nurses, but my wish is that my nurse and the baby’s nurse can examine us at the same time, to avoid multiple visits and allow us as much rest time as possible.
7. I would like assistance establishing a correct latch at the breast, and establishing a breast feeding routine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search