Emma's scheduled repeat c/s, 16 June 2010, Spinal anaesthesia

Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories

Members of the cesarean section board give detailed accounts of their time in surgery.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Experiences, and Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I got to the hospital at 7am & was taken up to the birthing suite floor. I had a midwife come and take some blood, she then did some paperwork, and had me get into my gown - and then put me on the CTG machine for a few minutes, just to make sure baby was looking good. The ob registrar came in to introduce herself & to give me an idea of what the procedure would be like once I got into the OR. AFter she'd come in, the anaesthetist came in to introduce himself & discuss the anaesthesia, and then he put my IV line in. My midwife arrived about 8am, and did more paperwork, and then saw other clients while I was waiting to go in.

The ob came and told me it was time for me to go through, and she walked me down to where the OR's are. My sister was my support person & had to wait outside the OR, while I got my spinal done. Got into the OR & the staff introduced themselves, and I was asked to sit on the bed & bend over a chair, so that the anaesthetist could insert my spinal. He cleaned my back with an antiseptic solution, and then gave me a local anaesthetic in my back... then inserted the spinal. The spinal took maybe 2-3 minutes to insert properly, and it WAS uncomfortable, but not painful - the hardest part was needing to sit perfectly still through the whole thing. After the spinal was inserted, it didn't take long at all for me to start feeling the effects, and they helped me lie down on the OR table. Once I was lying down, they put on a couple of montiors - heart, blood pressure & oxygen stats (??). I don't remember them doing any fetal monitoring.

I don't remember exactly who was in the theatre but there was definately:
- my midwife
- hospital midwife
- ob registrar
- another ob
- anaesthesiologist
- another anaesthesiologist
- pediatrician
- 3 or 4? nurses?

During the surgery I felt fine - I was very chatty, and quite relaxed. The obs never really said anything to me, but my midwife told me what was happening, and the anaesthetist also warned me if there was going to be a lot of pushing/pulling on my abdomen, he also asked me regularly if I was feeling okay. My main communication was with my m/w though

Emersyn was born & they took the drape down for me, then took her over to the baby check station, did her APGAR's, cleaned her up, wrapped her, put a hat on her - and then my midwife brought her over to me for my first look/kiss, and then my sister was given the first hold... after a few minutes the midwife double checked that the ob team were okay for me to start skin-to-skin contact, and then Emersyn was placed inside my gown - and that is where she stayed for the next 5 hours!

After surgery was finished, I was moved to a proper hospital bed & was wheeled through to the recovery area.. I was in there for approx 90 minutes, I think - and Emersyn stayed with me the whole time, as did my sister. In recovery I started breastfeeding, and continued the skin-to-skin... Once or twice the midwife who was in with me, checked Emersyn over, and my stats were taken numerous times.

The first 24 hours post birth, I was actually really good & didn't have too much pain. They gave me morphine with my spinal, and it was long acting, so I didn't need any drugs for about 12 hours after - it also didn't make me as 'stoned' as I remember the morphine pump making me feel, with Gaby. I did vomit a couple of times in the evening, but was given anti-nausea meds which seemed to do the job. I was able to effectively breastfeed, but the midwives helped me to latch her on for the first 24 hours or so. My catheter was taken out after maybe 8? hours, and I had my first pee - which HURT, but after a couple of times the stinging had gone... Within the first 10? hours or so, I had had a shower, and was (obviously) starting to walk around. The pain was at its worst between around 30-40 hours after surgery.

November 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Formerly ConnorMorgan
Thanks that was very helpful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search