what is an appropriate description for this board?

Cesarean Section Grief

A board for members whose cesarean section experience was not a positive one.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Grief LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I was just wondering if you ladies could suggest an appropriate description for this board (to go under the board name) - I wasn't 100% sure what c/s grief entailed, so just asked for 'for members whose c/s experience wasn't a positive one' to be added, but I want it to be appropriate, and I'm not sure that that actually IS the most appropriate description?

April 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know... for me grief was always too strong a word, but for others it's not. I'll think about it and if I come up with anything better let you know.

April 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I'm not sure it matters. I think people will know what it's for. But maybe that's just me......?

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
April 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
thanks ladies if it is okay as is, that's great..

May 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that the way it is now implies that you have to have a bad experience to be upset that you had a surgical birth. My c-section was fine, my son and i were fine, apart from having major abdominal surgery. My 'grief' comes from the impact that one moment in my life has had on the rest of my life.

Never being able to have a stress free pregnancy again. Always being on the defensive and the offensive at the same time. Needing to fight with doctors to have a vaginal birth. Worrying about complications that I now have as a result of my birth.

I guess what I am saying is that it needs to be more than just about a bad experience during the surgery. That women need to know it is okay to be upset about a surgical birth, even if there was a 'healthy baby and a healthy mom' Healthy mom being that she didn't die or get an infection. But, following a surgery mom is not healthy she is in pain, she may have PPD, and at 6 weeks after delivery she is more likely to tell a doctor she is still not well. Women need to know that it is okay to grieve the loss of her birth, and the loss of her future well being and the loss of the sanctity of birth.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I think that the way it is now implies that you have to have a bad experience to be upset that you had a surgical birth. My c-section was fine, my son and i were fine, apart from having major abdominal surgery. My 'grief' comes from the impact that one moment in my life has had on the rest of my life.

Never being able to have a stress free pregnancy again. Always being on the defensive and the offensive at the same time. Needing to fight with doctors to have a vaginal birth. Worrying about complications that I now have as a result of my birth.

I guess what I am saying is that it needs to be more than just about a bad experience during the surgery. That women need to know it is okay to be upset about a surgical birth, even if there was a 'healthy baby and a healthy mom' Healthy mom being that she didn't die or get an infection. But, following a surgery mom is not healthy she is in pain, she may have PPD, and at 6 weeks after delivery she is more likely to tell a doctor she is still not well. Women need to know that it is okay to grieve the loss of her birth, and the loss of her future well being and the loss of the sanctity of birth.
That's a really good point. I guess I was so used to seeing the cesarean grief forum listed on the main list of forums that I just assumed the title implied all of that. But maybe not. Do you have a suggestion for a name that would encompass all that????

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I don't really know. I think that a name change might be a good idea, but not sure what it should be. Does anyone have a suggestion?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Maybe something along the lines of Cesarean Regrets?

May 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Playing around with the thesarus:
chagrin? it starts with 'c' lol and means displeasure

Sail Back to Me
May 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
chagrin might be listed as a synonym, but it is used in a slightly different way and doesn't really make sense in the context.

May 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyD View Post
Maybe something along the lines of Cesarean Regrets?
OK, I thought you said "Cesarean Rejects" and was thinking it was a commentary on the attitude of the main Cesarean board. I rather liked it. But it wouldn't exactly be welcoming to new members.

But I'm not sure regret is the right word either (I don't regret my cesarean, and I'm sure others don't either....)

May 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
OK, I thought you said "Cesarean Rejects" and was thinking it was a commentary on the attitude of the main Cesarean board. I rather liked it. But it wouldn't exactly be welcoming to new members.

It certainly feels that way sometimes

Just had a thought: Cesareans... it's complicated

(thanks Denise Richards lol)

May 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM
"The Flipside" for the title in place of "Cesarean Section Grief" and then the description:

a place to discuss the other side of a c-setion birth: complications, disappointment, grief, etc.

Sail Back to Me
May 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I like both of those.

May 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I definitely like the idea of changing the name. A lot of women do not have 'grief' about their surgery, but still may not be 100% happy with how things turned out. They may want to discuss that the birth itself did matter, that it is more to them than just having a healthy baby, but because they don't feel as strong of an emotion as grief, they don't feel like they 'fit in' here. Some women ar enot ready to face the fact that their surgery may have been preventable, but I want them to know it is okay to talk about it when they are ready.

I really would like this to be a place for true open discussion about ceserean and all that it entails.

Sail Back to Me
May 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Yup it would be nice to have a place to discuss all feelings about a c-section. Some women aren't candidates for vbac but don't like c-sections will need a place too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search