The less measurable repurcussions of Cesarean

Cesarean Section Grief

A board for members whose cesarean section experience was not a positive one.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cesarean Section Grief LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The ICAN list is talking about the less measureable effects of Cesarean - specifically, how many women have less children than they intended because of having Cesareans?

Here's an article with some stats:
One in Three Women Infertile After Caesarean: Even More are Too Traumatized to Give Birth Again

A study in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology has found that almost half of all women who have a cesarean section birth for their first child, don't have any more children.

Of these, one in five have chosen not to have more children because they are too traumatized by the surgery and one in three are physically unable to because of cesarean-caused infertility problems.

The rate of post-traumatic stress disorder was six times higher than in first time mothers who had given birth vaginally.

I know my aunt had wanted two children, but only had one because of how traumatic her cesarean was for the whole family. And secondary infertility - one of the lovely side effects that the vast majority undergoing surgery are not aware of.

I know after the surgery, I told my husband, no more kids. I can not even risk the CHANCE of having to do this again. Because I am a good candidate for HBAC, I did change my mind, but we are both very firm in saying that, if at any point I have a second c/s, that will be the last kid. We want 4! That's a lot of pressure on the next birth to be a successful VBAC.

Any thoughts?

April 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have 2 children.I have a 21 year old daughter from my first marriage.I had her vaginally but had a hard time having her and had toxemia while pregnant.

I also have a 2 year old and I had toxemia/pre eclampsia again ...I had to have a c-section.It was very hard for me both physically and emotionally and while I would like to try to have one more,I don't know that I could go through another c-section again........

April 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really infuriates me that people don't realize the long-term effects of a c/s. They treat it like it's no big deal. It IS a big deal. While I support a woman's choice for birth, I don't think that many know the ramifications. In an emergency situation you do what you have to do, but if you plan to have one you should know how it can affect future fertility.

I don't know if the fact that PTSD is linked to the c/s itself. I think it's more likely that labor complications leading up to a c/s is the cause in many cases. It's certainly the case for me, although both the labor and the c/s and recovery were extremely difficult and scary.

I'm not sure that I could conceive a pregnancy knowing that it would have to be a c/s delivery. I know others don't care but I feel that strongly about surgery in general. On the flip side, my labor was so bad that if I didn't feel that my experience was an exception I'd probably get my tubes tied today.

April 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I want at least 4 babies. I would have 4 even if it meant having 3 c/s per kid - bc I love being pg and being a mommy and I refuse to give that up bc of my horrible surgery. But I am terrified of TTC. We got pg really easily with my dd. I'm afraid of secondary infertility bc of scar tissue. And I think I will be holding my breath for each u/s until they can confirm the placenta is nowhere near my incision. I've read about accreta and percreta and women losing their uteruses bc of it and it absolutely terrifies me.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
October 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM
I Had an emergency c/s with my 3rd child. It was traumatic and without pain meds. And I never, not for one second felt like I lost something. My body still created and nourished that child. I had another c/s with my 4th because he was breech. Again, I felt like a mother. No regrets. Yes, I was scared because of the 1st c/s. with my 5th it was an automatic c/s. and again...no regrets. I am now pregnant with my 6th. This one will be a c/s and my last.
I have no regrets. I don't feel I lost anything. I had 2 natural vaginal births, 1 natural c/s and 2 medicated c/s'.
Regardless of their entry into the world. I'm a mom. And so are all of you. We didn't fail.

As for convenience c/s wo medical need-those I do not agree with.
October 21st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had some medical problems as a toddler resulting in a lot of tests and a long hospital stay. I had nightmares for years. My mom told me I would scream and cry entering any building that even vaguely resembled a hospital while still a toddler. My fear of anything more invasive than a shot is almost on level with a phobia.

I can't watch birth shows at all because of how that effects me, especially when they end up in csections. It triggers me every time. Reading birth stories is hard and some of those trigger me, too. Walking into my OB's office doesn't trigger a full blown panic attack, but it does still get to me where it didn't as much before. I almost wonder if it's a milder form of PTSD. I really don't know what I have or how to deal with it. I just know I can't really control my reaction.

My problem with csections is both the surgery itself and the experience leading up to it and just after it. DD didn't come the way I hoped and prayed she would and to make matters worse, refused to nurse until she was 3 weeks old. She also spent most of her awake time crying, especially at night. She'd cry through the night until around 6 am then sleep for a couple or three hours, maybe 4 if I was lucky. She was like that until she was a few months old.

I'm terrified of what it will take to get this baby here and terrified of having him here. I'm so scared I had a panic attack when I found out I'm pregnant with this one then didn't sleep much the following few nights. I didn't really even start bonding until about 20 weeks or so. DH was and is somewhat more excited than me but still very nervous.

What I hate hate hate hearing is when people say "Oh suck it up and get over it. All that matters is a healthy baby." My mom and MIL who both had csections for all their kids tell me that. Just because it was no big deal to you doesn't mean it's that way to all women. Even DH tells me "Imagine how much worse you would feel wanting to try for that natural birth but something happened to the baby because of that." What he doesn't understand is csections are not without their risks either.

With the prospect of another csection weighing on me, I'm just kind of not ready for this yet. At all.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

October 22nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
I thought about this post all day. I was half asleep when I wrote it and I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say. I meant no matter how we have babies...we're still amazing. We create life. We're so amazing. I didn't want to feel like they were less because they had a c/s. my natural vag births were sooooo much easier but its just not a possibility anymore. And I guess after thinking about it, I talked a lot to people about my emergency c/s with my 3rd and maybe that helped. I was scared with my 4th. I was scared thinking about being a VBAC and even more scared when I learned he had to be a c/s. I was afraid it would be chaotic and painful like before. But it wasn't. It was planned and calm and surprisingly a good experience.
I'm sorry if my 1st post seemed to belittle anyone's experience or fears.
November 22nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter turned 4 this week and we were shopping in a store where I used to work. The cashier, who had no knowledge of my birth story, commented that she was gorgeous and wondered when I was going to have a brother or sister for her to play with. I told her what happened (the short version) and she said that she was shocked because she didn't know the experience I had was even a possibility. I felt sort of bad because her daughter is due soon and now she will probably worry.

December 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoKatieB View Post
My daughter turned 4 this week and we were shopping in a store where I used to work. The cashier, who had no knowledge of my birth story, commented that she was gorgeous and wondered when I was going to have a brother or sister for her to play with. I told her what happened (the short version) and she said that she was shocked because she didn't know the experience I had was even a possibility. I felt sort of bad because her daughter is due soon and now she will probably worry.
I've done that to people before. Heck even btdt moms look at me like O.O when I share my story. There was no medical emergency in DD's birth, but it was still kind of traumatic because I had no time to prepare for a csection and was exhausted from a very long labor (that's usually when they're like O.O lol). If they ask, I'm honest ya know? I'm not gonna lie and tell them my story is all rainbows. Sometimes comments deserve the same response. People don't always know what they're saying. I didn't understand birth trauma until I went through it and I'm sure I've told people my fair share of stupid things before I became a mom.

In loving memory of our angel baby, with us for 4 weeks. Baby went to be with God July 24th, 2009.

April 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Dee
I didn't realize that secondary infertility was a possible outcome of a c-section. Woah. I do know people who have had traumatic second pregnancies and births because of scar tissue from their first c-section, and that is scary.

This wouldn't have changed my circumstances - my c-section was coming whether I wanted it or not. But it's helpful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBaby View Post
People don't always know what they're saying. I didn't understand birth trauma until I went through it and I'm sure I've told people my fair share of stupid things before I became a mom.
Me, too! I try to be blunt + gracious when someone makes a comment about birth/breastfeeding/conception/etc. that is dismissive of experiences like mine. Blunt because people should know that it could be a real trigger for some people still traumatized by their experience, and I have very little patience for off-handed assumptions about procreation. Gracious because I said some calloused and unfair things before I knew better, and I could have learned a lot from a gracious stranger.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search