Tornadoes in the Midwest

Forum: Midwest Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Midwest Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
AlohaOctober's Avatar Regular
We had some pretty bad storms last night here in Ohio, including tornadoes, hail and high wind. It's not much compared to the tornado in Joplin on Sunday night. My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this terrible storm.

Hope all the MO mommies out there are okay!!! Let us know who you are and how you and your family are doing!

May 24th, 2011, 11:51 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, please heed the warnings for today (tuesday). They are expecting an outbreak in the midwest similar to the May 3, 1999 outbreak.

If you are in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri or Texas, please pay attention to the weather and have an emergency kit in place and a safe place to take refuge if needed.

I just read that they are recommending that people do not go to Oklahoma City today and that those there stay out of their vehicles. This kind of danger does not happen often this area has been labeled as a PDS, a particularly dangerous situation.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
May 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These storms are scary. I saw a blurb on MSNs homepage that scientists are concered because of all the hits on cities recently. Tornadoes usually don't hit populated areas like this

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
May 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I agree that it is getting to be terrifying. I watch tv and read about all of this and I am seriously depressed over all of it. My gut hurts and I feel sick, especially when I see photos of the victims, babies and all. I just can't handle it. Maybe it is because it could so easily happen here or that I am just paying closer attention but nonetheless it is very disturbing and scary is an understatement. I just want it to stop.

www.leannebraniff.com
May 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
ditto. I have all of our important documents, riley's pictures, his baby book, and keep sakes already moved down to the basement as of a week ago. I've already instructed JJ that if it gets bad durning a storm ready a laundry basket of all of our clothes, just throw riley's in there hangers and all and as many diapers as possible and grab it and run to the basement with the dogs and kid if need be. i'm more worried about riley having clothes/blankets and diapers than clothes for myself

missing our Feb. 2012
May 24th, 2011, 03:20 PM
AlohaOctober's Avatar Regular
Wow, I hope you and your families stay safe during these storms. Very scary indeed!

Great idea to have an emergency kit/plan! We don't get many tornado threats around here, and last night I was freaking out because our satellite went out and I saw a giant wall cloud heading towards us, it was only minutes before the storm started and we didn't have much time to take cover. Tonight, DH and I are putting together a small kit, just in case.

May 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We're getting grazed by the storms tonight. I'm so not looking forward to it. The girls and I drove across Illinois Sunday night (Chicago to Iowa), pretty stupid looking back on it... But we did make it thankfully. I never used to worry about weather like this, but living here for 4 years has changed that. We've only evacuated to the basement once, and that was when we were living in our apartment and Kaija was about 5 months old.

Stay safe everyone!
May 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live an hour east, straight line, from Joplin. The part of the storm that hit Joplin went directly over our house. We were pretty scared. Luckily we got some strong winds, but not even really that much rain. It went past really fast. The skies were really neat afterwards, but I couldn't get it to pick up on my camera.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara_leigh View Post
We live an hour east, straight line, from Joplin. The part of the storm that hit Joplin went directly over our house. We were pretty scared. Luckily we got some strong winds, but not even really that much rain. It went past really fast. The skies were really neat afterwards, but I couldn't get it to pick up on my camera.
Glad you are ok. How horrible to know just how lucky you were! Hopefully we have a nice, quiet summer after all these terrible tornadoes.

www.leannebraniff.com
May 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Glad you are ok. How horrible to know just how lucky you were! Hopefully we have a nice, quiet summer after all these terrible tornadoes.
Has everything been okay up in Omaha? That's where we are from. We just moved down here 2 months ago.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Omaha is good. Through everything the worst we have gotten is small hail. The river is flooding like crazy right now and it is supposed to continue for months but that is about the worst of our problems. It's a bit scary though because it feels like we have been too lucky.

www.leannebraniff.com
May 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM
annem84's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are dealing with flooding (not us in particular but the town is sandbagging houses down by the Mighty Mo) and have been having storms but just wind, rain and minor hail.
June 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
we had a "bad" storm here on monday night. Our regional airport reported either a 74 or 84mph windgust. There were several reports of "gustnadoes"- an actual weather term, i thought someone was talking out their behind!- lots of trees were brought down along with powerlines. the UP railroad was shut down for 4 hours due to lines on the track and power outages. A storage unit complex had a building all but destroyed and the company DH works for had roof damage, glass and overhead door damage, along with a power outage that sent 3rd shift home early by like 6 hours and canceled 1st and 2nd shift. DH is first shift, they were there for like half an hour, power was supposed to be back on by 7am but wasn't so they were all sent home.

missing our Feb. 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search