Could I be pregnant?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To AIP Venting Place LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Since the beginning of the year that question has been on my mind and I still don't know for sure! I am almost certain that I'm not, but still... I would know if I were 20 weeks pregnant, wouldn't I?

I might have had sex on new year's, but the likelihood of getting pregnant was minimal, as I'd had my last day of my period the day before. I just don't remember if I slept with this guy or not, and I haven't had the guts to ask him either...

Anyway, the day my period was supposed to start in January, it was only like pink-orange discharge for that day and the following one, until what I think was my period started on the 3rd day and lasted for 3 days. I figured I wasn't pregnant and that it was just some exception to my regular cycle. Ever since my period's been lighter that usual, but still a 28 day cycle. In April it was shorter though, only 24 days, and this month only 26, and still lighter than usual. I took a pregnancy test that came out negative after the shorter period in January.

Also in January, I was extremely tired all the time, I had to take 2-3 hour naps after work because it was just impossible to stay awake, but I assumed this was because things were boring there at the time. I'm not so sure anymore... I was also out drinking in April, for the first time this year, and had such a horrible hangover for 2 days afterwards, involving vomiting, and I usually don't get hungover at all. I've also been having headaches more often lately. And my back hurt a while ago, for the last few weeks not so much anymore, but the joints in my lower back sometimes make a lot of noise.

Since I've been getting my period I thought that there's no way I'm pregnant, but today at my clinical rotation (I'm a nursing student), a patient asked me if I was, and this was the second time that's happened in a week now. I don't think I look pregnant, my boobs aren't bigger, on the opposite, I think they've shrunk a little. I'm trying to figure out if my stomach feels different, but I didn't touch it all the time before, so now I don't know. I think I can just feel my abs more clearly now as it feels a little harder around the navel. I don't know what to think anymore. I should know stuff, I study within the field...

Oh, I'm 22 years old, and I'm not on the pill or any other hormonal contraceptive. Usually when I'm sexually active I use condoms, but due to whiskey blackout on new year's I don't even know if I had sex or not. I'm not in any more stress now than before, and I haven't really changed my diet or exercise routines either. I'm 5'5 tall and weigh around 156 lbs, the weight have been the same for about a year. This pregnancy thought, it's all just in my head right?

Last edited by alexa889; May 21st, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
May 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Well, based on what you have described, it does sound like you are. You can have what they call decidual bleeding for the first few months of pregnancy, and you can also have false negatives even when you are pregnant. I have gotten neg urine, and blood tests, but I'm pregnant. I confirmed it for myself the other night. One way to tell for sure, is to measure your uterus. It's something they do when you go to an ob for pregnancy. Someone had suggested it to me, and I had never even thought about doing it before. Anyway, what you do is get a measuring tape. One that is flexible, like a sewing measuring tape. Then lay on flat on your back on a hard surface, like the floor. Find your pubic bone. You can find it by feeling just above your vagina. It's a hard spot there. Put the beginning of the tape there. Then, feel for the top of your uterus. It feels like a ridge of something, and kind of soft. It's really easy to find, but you might have to kind of push a lillte hard to find it. Using the cm side of the tape, run it up the middle of your belly to where your uterus is and mark it with your finger. Whatever cm it is on is how many weeks pregnant you are. If you are around 20 weeks, it should be right around your belly button. But since you are petite, it might be a little bit above your belly button. I'm 5'4", and the top of my uterus is about an inch below my belly button, and I'm 15 weeks, which is what I thought I was. If you find your uterus by feeling for it, then you are pregnant. I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. This will be my 4th child, so I've been through it a few times. lol
May 26th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the tip! I was trying to feel for it the other day, but couldn't find a measuring tape anywhere, yesterday when I thought of giving it another shot I noticed that a small area next to my belly button feels a little bruised although it doesn't show, so I'll wait a few days for that to go away before trying again.
May 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM
No problem! Let me know what happens. I found mine like right in the middle of my belly. And at my 16 week point, I felt for it again, and it had moved up. I just wish I could get a doctor to confirm it for me...
May 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Based on your story I'd say you're probably not pregnant. it's almost impossible to get pregnant the day after your period as most women don't ovulate that early. Some have and gotten pregnant but based on your cycles i'd say you probably didn't ovulate that early on that particular cycle. I'd put money on your cycles going through a change. It happened to me around your age. You can take another test just to ease your mind or even go to your doctor and ask for a blood test, that might be your best bet. Hope you get some answers soon.

Oh also if you post this in the main Am I Pregnant forum you'll get a lot more advice.

Last edited by MosaicWife; May 26th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search