Valerie's Blog

Forum: Southern Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Southern Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Way off topic of parenting (kinda anyway)--Yes, I am a SAHM and yes I have more flexibility in my schedule bc I don't really do anything, but if you offer to help me whether it's for a doctor's appt, letting me have lunch with a friend, giving me some one on one with Troy, then please don't cancel on me at the last minute! UGH I am just so tired of it, but at the same time I feel so guilty and think I am being selfish for asking for help or time. I know that things happen--sickness, appts, whatever, but seriously, EVERY time I make plans this happens anymore. I am done making any plans during the week until my sis is out of school and maybe even after that. This is directed mainly to my mom and I feel so horrible because she usually goes above and beyond to help, but lately, she's getting sick so much or needs rest or has to babysit my niece and nephew and although I understand these things happen, it's still frustrating (especially when her 30+ years of smoking is probably what's contributing to her being sick so much and her trips to go gambling make her exhausted..) Again, YES I SAH but I would love to not have to drag my kids to appts (particularly Gyno appts) or actually have lunch with a friend where I am not having to deal with my attention deprived 3 year old or a baby who hates to be in a restaurant. AAACKKK I am such a selfish person!!!!! Okay, rant over

May 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
A cold to a stomach virus for me--my poor boys don't stand a chance I am trying to do everything I can to prevent them from getting sick, but it's soooooo hard. Poor Will just cries and cries and I don't really want to pick him up and cuddle, but I want to at the same time. And Troy, he just wanted to sit in my lap and I couldn't let him. It broke my heart how sad he was. I will be making up for these missed cuddles as soon as I can. I am just thankful that my mom could take the boys today and give me a chance to rest and recoup AND she sent someone who helps her out to disinfect my house since I am took weak and lightheaded to do it. That makes me feel 10x better. I intend to do the laundry/bedding, but I can barely walk down the hall so that will have to wait. Isn't being sick so much fun???
On another note, I have finally made a decision about our pediatrician issues--I couldn't decide what to do about WIll's pooping issue and it's now been 9 days WITH some juice and prunes 4 days last week. I am going to change peds and get another opinion. This is ridiculous and I am tired of our ped not taking this issue seriously. Hopefully a new ped will.

June 5th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Will had his 2nd opinion last week and the ped never said laxative or juice. He wants me to go dairy free and put Will on soy and see how it goes. It's been a week and I haven't noticed a huge change but I am going to keep going until his next appt the end of this month. He actually got fussier, but I think his vitamin that his 1st ped recommended that had iron in it was too hard on his tummy so we got rid of that, but who knows--it could be the soy or it could be his teeth or something entirely different. If it turns out that diary is the issue, I may be weaning because I am really struggling bc of how much food/drink I have given up--I am a very picky eater and I am having a hard time finding things to eat I am going to try my hardest though, but I just don't know. It's 5 more months until he's a year so I just don't know. A whole summer without ice cream I know it's best for Will though so I will do what I can.

June 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
What is new with us?? HMMMM, I feel like we have been so busy but we aren't really doing anything??? Mainly it's because we are going to my Mom's every day almost to help her bc the girl who babysat for my sister just stopped coming It's a long long story, but she just didn't show up one day, then my mom finally went to visit her and she said she would come back the next day, but nope, still didn't show. This means my mom has taken on full time babysitting duties so I go over to help her how I can. I don't know if adding my kids to the mix help, but I feel like I am at least doing something. Basically I keep Anaka up at my mom's and take care of her while my Mom goes to my sister with my nephew so she can have some peace and quiet (ie a nap). I have felt so bad for my sister though because she's a teacher and has had a crappy year and now this. At least her kids are taken care of, but it's just been one more thing

Will is doing better somewhat. He's actually pooping daily, but now the problem is that he's more constipated when he goes. BUT he's eating better--including solids and that makes things much easier. He's still teething like mad--it actually makes me hurt to look at his gums so that does make him a tad grumpy, but I feel like things are falling into place finally.

Troy is going to preschool!!! I live in a very small area so there aren't many options, but a retired teacher is starting a preschool and has created a very flexible schedule that is going to work for us. I was so worried that he would just go from being at home with me to school 5 days a week, so I am so glad to have this chance for him!!!

June 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM
DH IS GETTING OFF WORK SO WE CAN GO ON VACATION!!!! I am so excited because I really thought I was going to be taking the boys on a 10 hour drive alone and wasn't really looking forward to it. DH's family is all so spread out and busy so only one sister has met Will. Now, we'll ALL be together in July, including his mom, and get to visit and enjoy a week together. It'll be so great to be up there and the best thing--my mom is going as well, so I have more help with the kids. It's always hard bc DH goes off with his BIL or helps with projects (it's his sis' vacation home) and I deal with the boys (well, just Troy before) and since it's near the water, it's a close eye needed. With Mom there, she can help with feeding, putting down for naps... and maybe I will actually get to have some fun on the jet skis!! I can't wait--only 5 weeks

June 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Don't know what I am going to do with Troy! I am a SAHM and have tried so hard to get Troy into activities so that he'll be confident and comfortable away from me and it hasn't worked I put him in Bible School this week and talked to him about it before hand and it was absolute hysteria when I tried to leave. They called me and had me come back because he was so disruptive. Today, tried again--I stayed for one hour and then told him I was leaving to pick up Will and would be back ASAP and it was hysteria once again. So bad, I just took him with me. I don't know what I am going to do. This is just bible school, but what is going to happen when I take him to preschool??? I just don't know what else I can do? He just says he's scared when I am not there My sister and best friend say I just have to leave him and let the teachers deal with it, but these are volunteers for the church, not people trained to deal with hysterical children with horrendous separation anxiety. His teacher is 16!!!! I am not as worried about bible school, but I feel like it's giving me a preview of preschool

July 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Bible School worked out fine once Anaka started going. Having someone there he knew made him totally change so it was a nice for me to see him have confidence. I am just hoping that he will know someone in his preschool so that we won't be going through it all over again I am thinking that maybe the teacher will let me know what other children will be in his class and we can introduce them and have playdates or something so he will be more relaxed about it all. I never anticipated any of this so it's been a huge lesson for me.
Honestly, I am just excited he's going to be going to preschool because our area only had one that is affordable and they only accept 10 new students each year and guess who wasn't part of the 10??? Yep! BUT a retired teacher is going to open up a new one and Troy has made it in thankfully! This way he won't be starting PreK 5 days a week without any structured learning. He will be going 2 days a week so that's a good start I think.

July 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I knew this day would come--my sister called me and they have entered my niece into a pageant this week. It's really small and not a big deal, but our family has never been fans of pageants, especially for young children BUT my sister's next door neighbor is huge into them. She's 8 and just loves them and has been talking to Anaka about them, so they figured why not? I will go and support her, but we are all (my sister included) are very indifferent to it all. She's only 4 (well, will be 4 on Wednesday) so how do you pick one child out of that age as the "cutest"???

July 20th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Vacation with kids---HMMMM. I had mastered vacationing with one but we are getting ready to go on vacation soon and my list of things to pack....I am thinking we'll need a trailer It's insane what we need but I know we will get it all in somehow! Luckily my mom is going with us and is allowing use of her van so we have more room than just the trunk. I had forgotten about traveling with an infant--pack n play, monitor, formula, bottles, baby food......WHEW! I feel like I need to start packing now! I am so excited though to go on vacation though and having mom to help will be awesome. We stay at my SIL's vacation home so they aren't really on vacation--they live there so they have the normal everyday chores and projects so it's always different for me. I just try to keep the kids entertained and out of the way and that can become a challenge especially now that Will is in the picture. He requires more attention which means Troy will be getting into stuff more. Mom provides great back up!!! Especially when it comes to nap time!! 6 more days!

August 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Back home after a fantastic vacation. The boys did very well considering the length of time in the car and being thrown off routine. Will slept better at night than ever so it would be nice for it to continue. The only downside was that Troy developed a fear of the jetskis and boat so DH didn't get to do those things with him like he had planned. Troy was suddenly afraid to go fast and after one trip on each, he was done for the week. He did enjoy kayaking though so at least it wasn't a total bust on the water. We did a lot though--jet skis, boat, waterski (DH wake boarded), tubing, kayaking, ping pong, washers, walking...it was a very active vacation (yet, I managed to gain 4 lbs ) Oh well--hopefully getting back home will help the weight vanish (I can dream can't I)
Now it's back to reality

August 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Terrible 2's??? HA! Nothing on 3.5 years! What in the world has happened to my child? He went from having mostly good days with a few issues during the day to doing everything in his power to torture his baby brother and push every button I have. WOW! I guess I should have expected this but I really have been caught off guard with his behavior. He get sent back to bed yesterday AM, took an afternoon nap as usual and then got sent back to bed early for bedtime all because of misbehavior. This is getting pretty ridiculous. UGH!

August 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Things are just not improving with Troy I know it's only been a short time but nothing is working--time outs, taking away toys/privledges, rewards for good behavior, 1 on 1 time...I am really getting frustrated. Mom suggested a sticker chart so I may try to come up with something today although it hasn't worked in the past. He is just losing it over very silly things and it's getting insane. He's not a bad child, but he's in a bad phase. He's with my mom and a family friend today so I am hoping that helps somewhat--maybe a break from Mommy is what he needs because he sure acts differently for DH then me. Why do kids do that anyway???

On another note, Will is so much happier now that he's moving all around and has finally started signing. Well, only 1 word (fan) but it's a start. That was Troy's and my niece and nephews first sign too. Crazy, huh?!?! Why fan?? Now maybe he'll start doing the more important signs and it will ease some of the remaining frustration he has

August 27th, 2009, 07:51 AM
2 words--TEETHING SUCKS!! Poor Will has been in misery for almost a week--pain, low grade fever, stuffy nose (both my boys did this with teething), grumpy, not sleeping well, drooling, chewing...I am pretty sure it's teething and not a cold because I can see one tooth coming in and he's chewing on anything and everything. Sometimes the only relief he gets is Orajel too COME ON ALREADY!!!

On a better note (kinda)--Troy starts preschool on 9/1 and I can't believe it! He says he's excited but I know the day of it, he'll be a wreck. The teacher said to drop him off and leave--no hanging out, helping him adjust or anything. She was a teacher for 39 years so I trust her and know it's what's best so crossing my fingers it's an easy adjustment. It's only 2 days a week so it shouldn't be too overwhelming for him. I just hope he doesn't scream bloody murder like he did for Bible school I just can't believe he's old enough!!!!

September 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Will update--At least 3 teeth are *this* close so his mood is much better but the chewing/drooling continues. At least I know there are multiple teeth coming and not just hoping that this wasn't all for just 1 little tooth WHEW! His personality is shining lately and he's become quite the ham. He loves to copy noises and I think he may be saying words now with meaning, but it's still hard to tell.

Troy update--He had his first day and it was pretty ugly at first. He fought me getting in and out of the car but once he was there, he calmed down and the teacher said he had a great day! I was so proud of him and we've all made a huge deal about it. He goes again tomorrow and I am hoping that it's a bit easier, but honestly, I am sure it will be the same for the next few weeks until he gets used to the routine.

Now on to me: This is going to be a hard couple of weeks for me. I try not to show it to my family when I get sad. My dad passed away 2 years ago on 9/25/07 and we were very close. I was always a daddy's girl and always will be and his death as you can imagine has been so hard on all of us. I try to be positive and remember the good things, but during this time of year, I start remembering the last few weeks of his life which were absolute misery. He found out in June that he had cancer--it had already spread from his lungs to his bone, brain and lymph nodes. He went through radiation and chemo and because of the chemo drugs, his kidneys stopped functioning. He had no choice after that, his body couldn't handle it and we just had to sit and watch him die. We brought him home under hospice care and the care of some wonderful CNA'a who helped my mom with basic care and friends and family came by to say goodbye. He had a stroke when me and DH were there so we were the last people he spoke to so that is a blessing and horrible at the same time. He passed peacefully in his sleep 4 days later. I miss him so much and sometimes get so angry about how it all happened. He had NO symptoms although he was a heavy smoker from teenage years until 2000 when he had a heart attack and he was overweight so we knew there was a strong possibility but when he found out, he was working out and had lost weight, was eating better....and the only reason he found out was because his back hurt (from a fracture caused by the cancer in the bone). By then it was too late--it had already spread. I have been angry and sad off and on for 2 years and know I will be for years. I was blessed to have such a wonderful father and it just sucks that my children and my sister's will never know him like we did Sorry for this, but I had to get this out.

Last edited by *Valerie*; September 2nd, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
September 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Things they are a changin'! I start babysitting next week a few days a week and know that it will be a challenge, but I am looking forward to it. I am babysitting for one of my best friends--her 11 week old son. SO now I will have Troy, Will and an infant. Should be interesting but I think after the first couple of weeks, it will be just fine. We watched him today for a couple hours and Will was asleep when he got here and so when he woke up and I brought him out, he was so excited to see him. I wish I would have had my camera, but I didn't. The look on his face was just adorable. Troy also has taken Matthew on as his responsibility so that's really sweet. He just looks at him ans says "Aw, he's just so cute" and kisses his head. I really do have 2 of the sweetest boys

September 15th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My two sweetest boys are HAMS! DH was telling me last night about some of their shenanigans in the bathtub and boy am I going to have my hands full. They are going to compete for attention and keep us laughing all the time. We'll want to be mad, but even now, I just have to cover my face, turn my back and try not to encourage some of their behavior. Especially Will--he's really starting to learn how to make us laugh and then it gets Troy going too. Boy am I in trouble! I just hope they stop this in school or they will be the class clowns (which is what DH was)

September 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
So this week has pretty much been a very tough week. I knew babysitting a 12 week old was going to be tough but it was Sooooooo hard! He only was fine when I was holding him so I couldn't do a lot with Troy or Will. And he wouldn't take a bottle from me without a huge huge fight. I felt so bad for my friend because he just cries and cries when she drops him off I know things will get better but it could be a hard couple weeks.
Then DH has been gone on business since Tuesday. He gets back tonight but not until very late. Will has croup and can't sleep so the past few nights have been very tough for me. I have been up pretty much since 3:30 with only a short couple of rests (30 min each). DH won't be much help tonight since he has to get up and work early but tomorrow thankfully, my mom takes the boys tomorrow. Instead of getting things done, I am going to rest as much as I can.
Then hardest of all is tomorrow being the 2 year anniversary of my dad's death I have been thinking a lot about him as you can imagine and it's been a very emotional week. I don't know how tomorrow will be because my mom is having us over, my sis and her family (maybe--they may have to go out of town), my uncle and great aunt just to all be together on this tough day. It's either going to be helpful or the hardest night of the past 2 years

October 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Watch out--lot to say. Some good, some bad. Things have been crazy!
Let's start with something good. Things are going so much better with the baby I am watching. Not great, but he's taking bottles and sleeping better and he'll actually let me put him down. It's still hard because I have to be very careful with Will around him. Will loves him but as an almost 11 month old, isn't very gentle so poor Matthew is poked and hit a lot. But I am happy for the improvement.
Good thing--Troy is doing fabulous with preschool and has changed in so many ways for the better. It's so nice to see him learn and not be so afraid of everything. Will is starting to do more as well--clap, play peekaboo, "How big is Will", shake his head and dances like a crazy man.
Now to the bad:
Both my boys have been sick/grumpy for almost 2 weeks. It's so hard because Troy will act fine then hits a wall and gets a fever and headache. Luckily he only had one day of throwing up though. That was a HARD day Will is still coughing a bit, but more than anything, it's his sleep that is messed up. He's demanding to be rocked and held at night. Naps are fine, going to bed is fine, but when he wakes in the middle of the night, it's miserable for me. I am up for 45 min to an hour at a time and Saturday--he was up for 3.5 hours It was so hard and he's not showing signs of getting better with it. I think I will have to resort to a pretty hard CIO and I am dreading it because I still won't be sleeping.
Last thing--my mom I understand that since my dad passed life has been hard, but lately, she doesn't really want to do anything. She'll agree to help me and watch my boys but then she backs out for one reason or another. She's not exercising, eats like crap and shops or gambles. I think she's very depressed but I don't know if she can see it. My sister finally said something yesterday so we'll see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search