North Carolina Moms

Forum: Southern Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Southern Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
Hi! I'm Brianna, from NJ and my DH and I are looking into moving to NC and I wanted to ask about the areas you live in. We have looked near Greensboro mainly but there is nothing set in stone...

I have two young kids-Augie is going to be 4 in December and Madelynn will be 2 in September. I'm a SAHM and hope to be the same when we move although if I have to get a part time job I would do so.

Being that I will be moving to an area where we know no one (scary!) I want to make sure that there will be things I can do to entertain the kids and places I can take them. I would also like to know if you know of any mommy's play groups or if there are things like gymboree or the little gym around. I hope to be able to get the kids involved in things and meet people that way.

I really appreciate any advice, or information you have.

June 28th, 2010, 10:41 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome! I'm not in NC, but what I recommend is to google search everything. If you know the name of the town and surrounding towns you are looking at then search for their town sites and google things like "things to do in (town and state name)". As for a moms group, go to meetup.com and see if there is a group for the town or close by. Good luck!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

June 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Where in NC are you moving to? Wake county (Raleigh is in Wake county) has TONS of stuff for kids. Lot's of parks and family friendly events that I've read about (I have yet to venture out since my kids are just 2 years old). But, a lot of bouncy house places and playgrounds. People here are nice and majority are from NJ and NY originally, so you won't get too many strong southern accents here.

But if you are moving to the Charlotte area, there are some nice things there. Carrowinds is an amusement park near by which is nice. I don't know much about the area, but you'd be close to the mountains so there'd be skiing, hiking, and beautiful scenery to see. It's more populated in Charlotte, but Raleigh is very big as well....including Raleigh's surrounding area's.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Last edited by TheyGrowLikeWeeds; June 28th, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
June 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have been googling like mad and there is just so much information it's hard to weed through. Plus picking an area without being able to actually go see it in person is hard, so that is why I was asking people about what they think.

I've look in Durham, which is near Raleigh and liked what I saw there a lot and someone else told me about Asheville which looks beautiful as well. I guess my problem is more that it all looks great compared to where we are now so narrowing it down is tough! lol Thank you so much!

June 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Well, I can tell you that the school system is not known to be very good in Durham at this time. Sure, college is great! Duke is I think Ivy League. Cary is just next store with one of the top public school systems in the US! Orange county (which is also part of the Triangle along with Wake and Durham counties) I'm familiar with. The schools are ok there and it's nice. Raleigh is in Wake county so is part of the same school system as Cary.

Asheville is definitely west of Raleigh. Two very different places. My mother's been to Asheville I believe. She said it's very nice there! I don't know much else about it. As you can see, I live near Raleigh. The only complaint that some people have had about the Wake school system is it's trying to organize between year round and traditional school calenders. Currently, you are allowed to choose which calendar you prefer (Assuming you want to go public school). But that has not changed the quality of the schools, which is great!

I actually live in Cary. I love it here! I moved here from NY and it's SOOO much nicer. There's still a lot of people here, but the atmosphere is so comfortable. People here are actually NICE to you, can you believe that? Though being that Cary stands for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees, you can be sure you won't be overwhelmed with southern accents. But, you'll feel like you are in the south. The funny part is, people complain about traffic, but here traffic moves unlike NYC, Long Island, and the NJ turnpike. So you'll be fine with traffic here. Also, when it snows, the entire state seems to lock itself down. There isn't as many snow plows here and not as much salt available, so one snowflake hits the ground and businesses and schools shut down tight....it seems. It's kind of funny actually! In NY, snow plows don't seem to even bother coming out until there's about 5 inches on the ground already.

But, you'll like it here. It's really nice. Once you find the place that suits your style better, you'll settle in ok. The more West you go, you do run in to deeper southern accents and more relaxed attitudes. Some places closer to Asheville are very country like. Small towns, and hidden homes are more prevalent the more West you go from Raleigh. Not all places obviously, but more. Greensboro is busy, Charlotte is busy. High point is a good place for furniture shopping and is like a small city. My mother visits Cashier's every year. A lot of Floridians there and a big tourist area. So, that area does get crowded during the touristy seasons. But, I hear it's beautiful there!

Have you looked at the Coastal areas? I've only visited Wilmington. Nice there. Very historic there! Though almost every night there, there are ghost tours. It's supposedly one of the more haunted places in the US. I dont' know if you believe in ghosts, but I thought I'd throw that out there. However, the beaches more north are supposed to be really nice. I wouldn't advise living on the coast. NC gets hit with hurricanes in the southern coastal areas (Wilmington to Myrtle Beach, SC being the worst) a lot. Stay in the Piedmont area or mountain area and you can avoid hurricanes. Or if you like the coastal areas, don't live too close to the southern beaches. Stay more north.

I hope that helps you a bit. I can try to com up with more info.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Last edited by TheyGrowLikeWeeds; June 28th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
June 29th, 2010, 05:41 AM
~~Katrina~~'s Avatar My other car is a TARDIS
I'm not in NC, but wanted to say hello I'm in the upstate of SC, less than 2 hours from Asheville, NC and Asheville is beautiful. One of my best friends grew up in Asheville and I remember her saying there wasn't a lot to do if you didn't like the outdoors. However, if you do like the outdoors you would probably love it there since it's in the mountains. Best of luck on the move!

Thanks Kristy (*Kiliki*) for the awesome siggy!!

June 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
lindzprice04's Avatar Veteran
i live in north west north carolina. near the boone area. we are very deep in the mountains. About an hour from Grandfather Mountain. about 40 minutes from all the ski slopes. I love it.. i have been here on the va\nc line all my life and i absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!1

June 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
You guys rock! See, I already like the mommas from the south! lol

ChipmunkeyMom...that is some awesome information! Those are the things I can't find out just by researching.... So I really appreciate it!

I live right near where the "Jersey Shore" show on MTV is filmed. I HATE that whole idea of what people from NJ are like. I love the idea of southern hospitality and just feel like I don't belong here. I'm very excited!

I know I'm not in the south just yet, but I hope you guys don't mind if I pop in now and again! I hope to be in NC as soon as possible!!!

June 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
~~Katrina~~'s Avatar My other car is a TARDIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToTwo View Post
You guys rock! See, I already like the mommas from the south! lol

ChipmunkeyMom...that is some awesome information! Those are the things I can't find out just by researching.... So I really appreciate it!

I live right near where the "Jersey Shore" show on MTV is filmed. I HATE that whole idea of what people from NJ are like. I love the idea of southern hospitality and just feel like I don't belong here. I'm very excited!

I know I'm not in the south just yet, but I hope you guys don't mind if I pop in now and again! I hope to be in NC as soon as possible!!!
Definitely keep stopping by and posting here We'd love to have you join us. The south definitely is very friendly. I moved here last fall from WI and even though I'd been "in the south" on vacation before, I was still refreshed by how friendly and relaxed everyone is here. Best of luck with your move and keep us posted on how it all plays out for you.

Thanks Kristy (*Kiliki*) for the awesome siggy!!

July 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzprice04 View Post
i live in north west north carolina. near the boone area. we are very deep in the mountains. About an hour from Grandfather Mountain. about 40 minutes from all the ski slopes. I love it.. i have been here on the va\nc line all my life and i absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I have only posted here a few times, but Hi Neighbor! I live near enough to Grandfather Mountain that this weekend I will probably be able to hear the bagpipes from the Highland Games.

July 5th, 2010, 10:03 PM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
I live in NC! I'm in a very very small town halfway between Greensboro and Charlotte. I really love Charlotte. Good adult scene and kids scene... lots of parks. The same is true of Greensboro, with the Science Museum and Arboretum... Asheboro is where the NC Zoo is, and it is always fun! You can get a family pass for $75 for the whole year!
July 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Aidan~N~Haileys Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I live in the Charlotte area, I'm originally from PA, and I LOVE IT here, it's more humid than up north, but I'm SLOWLY getting use to it. There are lots of things to do in Charlotte, some that cost money, and others that don't. There is monkey joe's which is a place where they have food and bounce house things, for all ages, the have The Little Gym, and possible a gymboree but not totally positive. There are some really awesome parks in the charlotte area. Not sure on everything else, since I've only been here 3 years and I'll still scoping things out!

Also I'm part of charlottemommies.com and unioncountymommies.com, and I'm pretty sure there are ones for almost every county out there, and it's a forum, and they set up play dates, moms night out, moms night in, etc. So it's pretty cool!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search