"Birth" in the South

Forum: Southern Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Southern Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 09:00 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
As we are now in September, I thought I would post about this great play! Most likely, if you are in a large city, you have someone producing this in your area. If not, consider doing it for an organization in your community! Many places perform this great show for free, others for a small ticketed fee.

Witness a documentary style play that portrays the lives of eight women and the naked truth about childbirth. "Birth", a play by Karen Brody, opens this month at locations across Houston as part of a global movement to improve birthing options and safety for mothers while respecting birth as a woman’s reproductive right.

“Maternity care today simply isn’t mother-friendly,” Brody says. “In many communities, pregnant mothers are faced with few options that support low or no-intervention birth choices; in other communities, women feel they went with the standard medical care and were treated poorly.”

Follow the stories of eight women and their birth experiences. Meet Amanda who hires a doula and births naturally in a hospital setting. Get to know Beth, a business woman who happily plans her cesarean for practical reasons. Learn about Janet’s empowering epidural. And fall in love with Jillian, a comedic mom of four who retells her four birth stories throughout the play.

If your area is producing this play, post it here! .

Bellies & Babies Blogger

Last edited by wonderfullymade; September 10th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
September 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
HOUSTON is, for the 5th year in a row, producing "Birth". Sponsored by B.I.R.T.H (and my wonderful preceptor, Pat Jones ), local women will be advocating for healthy and safe birth practices through the amazingly entertaining play, "Birth", by Karen Brody.

Admission is free and open to the public.

Performances are:

Wednesday, September 22nd
University of Houston
Pacific Room
210 University Center
Houston, TX 77204
7:00pm

Friday, September 24th
Church Project
2407 Timberloch
Suite D/E
Woodlands, TX 77380

Saturday, September 25th
Lee college
Performing Arts Center
200 Lee Drive
Baytown, TX 77520

Sunday, October 3rd
Rice University
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX 77005
2:00pm

Silent Auction and a talk-back panel , featuring obstetricians, midwives, childbirth educators, doulas, and other professionals, will follow the show.

AND, for a short time, there is a Dinner and a Show giveaway going on. Check here for details!

Bellies & Babies Blogger
September 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds great! I wish someone would do that here - I would love to be in a play like that!

Hmm...maybe I could get my UU church to do something with this?

ETA: I just checked out the website. I would love to organize something like this, with the Red Tent and everything. I think that sounds awesome and I think it's definitely needed here.

Last edited by MaggieLizer; September 11th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Tags
birth , play

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search