The IRS! *REALLY long vent!

Forum: Western Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Western Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
OK, so we got a bill last year for $400 saying at some point before that (I think the year before, but now I'm less sure) we had messed up on our taxes and needed to pay the IRS back the money they gave us...well $400 of it. Since the year before we got like $9000 or something I was like "Well, OK, that's probably true." Paid it back.

This year we got another one, for $1100+ (some of you saw my facebook post on this I'm sure.) I didn't even read it over when I got it cuz I didn't have the money and knew I wouldn't have it til I got my taxes (haha on them...). So I have them now and read it today and I now am so at a loss.

DH is incapable of figuring this out, but I know they're wrong. DH does too, he's just incapable of helping me prove it, and well it's his thing to prove cuz it's his name the money they say was made was made in.

Nick got out of the Guard in 08. It was November 30, 2008 that his contract officially expired, meaning the latest he could possibly have been paid was December, unless it was back pay that they messed up, which they do so wonderfully. But there is just no way he had $1200 he didn't get paid that they then somehow paid him randomly and we didn't notice. That's more than he made at one drill, so even if that November pay had come in late, it didn't come in late for 4 months in a row or something...or you know, like all the months in a row...He wasn't in during 2009. I know this for a fact. I can prove he wasn't in the Guard in 2009 quite easily actually.

However, how do I prove they didn't pay us? I don't have the bank statements from 2009. I can get them if I want to pay $8 per statement to the bank. And I'd have to have all 12, because it isn't like the IRS thing says when it came, just that it came in 2009.

We didn't get a W-2 from them because they don't mail them, they put them online. However, why would we have gone online to look since they didn't pay us? And can we go back and check it? No, we cannot because he has no access to the online site anymore...you know since he got out in 2008 and it is now 2012!

He didn't have leave, cuz he wasn't full-time Guard, just a "weekend warrior." So they didn't pay him leave, etc. They didn't pay him anything.

Nick is not good at the call and figure things out thing. I know this because the Guard did f up his pay at one time, and eventually I just was like "Either they'll fix it, or we just won't get it, cuz Nick isn't capable of this." They did eventually fix that, though there was another event of that nature that was never fixed. However, it wasn't magically fixed in 2009 and I just forgot about it. I remember 2009, I was in my final semester of school at the beginning of the year, and I was pregnant with LJ, so I wasn't working! Nick lost his job in March (the month LJ was born, prior to LJ's birth.)

He was on unemployment for 6 months then. We moved to Nevada because I was now able to teach.

There was no Guard. There just wasn't. If there had been that would have been all kinds of fun cuz we'd have had to get them to transfer him to NV or we'd have had to fly him home for drill. That didn't happen.

So, I have to get this started, once I get it started Nick will in fact finish it, because he is capable of like taking the phone from my hand when I say "They'll only talk to you." But Nick's memory of things is bad, like this is something he worries about even, he has not good memories, so these phone calls he always needs help on, cuz again 2009 was 3 freaking years ago! And now I'm supposed to somehow come up with somebody to help us get Idk what. I guess they need to get us his W2, because that would at least give me a start that yes in fact they say they paid him.

Then I'd have to get to the bottom of "When did you pay him?"

And if I had that, that'd be enough info actually, I could pay the $8 to get the statement from that month and say "OK, so if you paid him WHERE IS THE PAYMENT?"

OK, sorry this is like a blog instead of a JM entry, I'm sorry...I just had to vent cuz I was so mad when I read this!

February 28th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I just had a thought... did you report the unemployment as income? Idk how they do the math on that one, if you would get a W2 or whatnot, but it's just a thought. You might have also already told me, but my memory is being crummy tonight.
February 29th, 2012, 10:46 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so confused on the military. my friend got out dec. 2009 and the IRS is telling her to pay back like 1200 dollars as well. the only time it would be that much is for the 2 week trainings once a year. And since she got out 2009 there's no way she was involved in one 2010.

but i hope you can get some answers as to how to prove that this money never came to you so you shouldn't have to pay it back. I'm totally flabergasted at this whole thing for both you and my friend. Just plain old confused. And that sucks that you would have to pay for your statement. So not fair.

When did they come attack you on wanting money? Before or after you filed and got your money back for your current taxes?
February 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnj5duke View Post
Oh, I just had a thought... did you report the unemployment as income? Idk how they do the math on that one, if you would get a W2 or whatnot, but it's just a thought. You might have also already told me, but my memory is being crummy tonight.
Unemployment goes on in a separate place, but it was on there. It wasn't related to the military so unemployment has nothing to do with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katylady View Post
I'm so confused on the military. my friend got out dec. 2009 and the IRS is telling her to pay back like 1200 dollars as well. the only time it would be that much is for the 2 week trainings once a year. And since she got out 2009 there's no way she was involved in one 2010.

but i hope you can get some answers as to how to prove that this money never came to you so you shouldn't have to pay it back. I'm totally flabergasted at this whole thing for both you and my friend. Just plain old confused. And that sucks that you would have to pay for your statement. So not fair.

When did they come attack you on wanting money? Before or after you filed and got your money back for your current taxes?
They must do this stuff in January for our region, because both of the past Januaries we've got these statements. And nothing in between. Well, I lie there, because we did get a reminder we hadn't paid it, certified mail, in February for the other one.

March 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gaahhh! I'm so sorry for you. I hope you figure it out. I would be so mad as well $1100+ is a lot of money. Sounds like they severely messed up. grrrrrr!
March 7th, 2012, 12:05 AM
What they messed up on was the year, it was actually 2010 they said the income came in, and once they said that we were able to track it down, it was totally on us. Which also reminds me Katy, was your friend's dh deployed around 2007/2006?

March 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was actually ,y friend that was in the service. And she was possibly deployed in 2006. We weren't with the unit at that time but I do think they we're deployed that year.
March 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM
The government messed up the Guards pay when they came back from deployment for a few years, they missed 2 days or 1.5 days of leave pay they should have got, so in 2010 they paid us, but not direct deposit the way they normally do, they mailed out checks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search