CDN Political Debate leading up to the election

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
mrobinson
Hey girls... I don't know if you heard about Stephen Harpers platform with child care but it seems to be $1200 for each child six and under, each year... I wanted to know your thoughts?

Here's the Calgary Sun's perspective of coverage:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Election/2005/...340651-sun.html
Big bucks for babies

Here's a Calgary Sun's columist's perspective:
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Election/2005/...340650-sun.html
Program stemmed from 30-year fairness fight
(I brought this up because I also would like to know your opinion of Bev Smith.)

December 6th, 2005, 12:27 PM
theycallmelisa
i find this all so interesting, but exactly why i dont follow politics. I can never get the jist of everything.

Is this $1200 going to be for stay at home moms/dads ? Or will it be for every parent with children under 6? If you get this 1200, can you still put them in reg. day cares or will it eliminate provincial daycare subsidy?
December 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
i find this all so interesting, but exactly why i dont follow politics. I can never get the jist of everything.

Is this $1200 going to be for stay at home moms/dads ? Or will it be for every parent with children under 6? If you get this 1200, can you still put them in reg. day cares or will it eliminate provincial daycare subsidy?[/b]
"The Conservative leader and his promise-packing roadshow rolled into Week 2 of the election campaign with the latest in a string of announcements: The Tories would give families $1,200 a year for each child under age six -- on top of current child benefits."
Hope that helps!
December 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Super Mommy
Personally, I don't think throwing money at the problem is going to solve anything. Yes daycare is hideously expensive (I am not eligible for ANY subsidy), but $1200/yr is a drop in the bucket and does nothing to solve the problem of lack of daycare spaces, quality of care etc. IMO those are the major issues - not necessarily cost. I think this announcement is a desperate attempt to grab votes - just another campaign promise that sounds good until you look at it a little deeper - where is the money going to come from? Especially if he is going to drop the GST and cut $4.5B out of federal coffers for each GST point cut.
December 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Personally, I don't think throwing money at the problem is going to solve anything. Yes daycare is hideously expensive (I am not eligible for ANY subsidy), but $1200/yr is a drop in the bucket and does nothing to solve the problem of lack of daycare spaces, quality of care etc. IMO those are the major issues - not necessarily cost. I think this announcement is a desperate attempt to grab votes - just another campaign promise that sounds good until you look at it a little deeper - where is the money going to come from? Especially if he is going to drop the GST and cut $4.5B out of federal coffers for each GST point cut.[/b]
Did you get a chance to see the work of Bev Smith? I think you and her have a lot in common about the bigger issues about child care...

anyway, here's the liberal's announcement now:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/na...-childcare.html
Liberals to extend child-care plan

For more info on platforms:
http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/leadersparties/
December 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
$1200 is not alot of money and it is equally unfair to working parents as teh liberal plan is to stay at home parents. The SAHP's would get $100/month for no real reason and no care to spend it on, whereas the working parents would be getting more moeny but not the full $100 since more people who have their kids in childcare and need help are spending alot more t han $100/month on care.

In reality $100/month is no big deal and not worth it.

Reducing the gst i a joke since it was the conservatives that brought it in to begin with and how ironic that the decrease by 1 % would happen within a year but the 2nd decrease wouldn't happen until right before the next election in 5 years. The cons talk about Gomery and the money that was taken when their GST has taken many more billions of dollars from us. Get rid of the entire GST and perhaps I'll listen.
December 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you for the links! I read both Bev Smith and the announcement by Paul Martin and I gotta say that I agree with PM - Harpers plan just seems to be to throw money out in the form of a baby bonus as a way to grab votes. I do think there need to be some regulations on the way that $1200 is spent - as he has proposed now, there would be no limits to how it is spent - you could go buy a new tv with it if you wanted. Doesn't do much for child care. I like Martin's ideas of a national early learning program. I have not had time to read in-depth on all of their platforms just yet though.....
December 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Super Mommy
Natural Blessings - I agree with you!

I am a working mom - I currently spend $500/mo on child care for my 3yo and am going on mat leave this month.... When I return to work, daycare is going to cost me $1250/month and we will still not be eligible for any sort of subsidy. We are certainly not "rich" - we are middle income earners and this is going to be a big burden for us, yet i still don't support a flat rate hand out of $1200/kid. There are no guidelines on how it is spent, so it would be a waste of tax dollars as far as I am concerned. Great deal for SAHPs though.

Promises of GST cuts just crack me up - I don't think it's going anywhere. Cretien promised to get rid of it and we all know how that turned out!! I am pretty leary of any campaign promises regarding tax cuts/spending increases. I think it is pretty easy to criticize a budget and say that you will make cuts and increase spending, but common sense just says you can't do both. Where is the money going to come from? I think what happens is these parties make promises and they may even intend to keep them, but then they get into power and realize just how much they could do with $4.5B from a point in GST, so maybe we won't cut it.....
December 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
..I think it is pretty easy to criticize a budget and say that you will make cuts and increase spending, but common sense just says you can't do both. Where is the money going to come from?[/b]
It's easy!

December 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Super Mommy
LOL!
December 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Toban's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find it all frustrating. Who to believe and support? I think the Tories are on the right track, but are mis-guided. I agree that parents should be able to make their own decisions about the type of child-care they use. I prefer a private home day-care, and would never be elegible for subsidy anyways. I like the intention, but I also agree with everyone, throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away - look at our health-care system!
December 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Our health care system is great compared to what the conservatives want to bring in(especially in Alberta). They want one that resembles the US plan, where more Americans than the population of Canada has no health care at all.

sure it has its problems, any system will, but it could be way way worse.
December 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Our health care system is great compared to what the conservatives want to bring in(especially in Alberta). They want one that resembles the US plan, where more Americans than the population of Canada has no health care at all.

sure it has its problems, any system will, but it could be way way worse.[/b]
American style health care scares me - being in the Jan DDC I have read about lots of those girls having problems with their insurance covering tests, hospital stay etc. At least we are covered - if a test is required, we just go get it done, not worry about how to pay for it.
December 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
mrobinson
Currently waiting for that test seems to be the issue...
December 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Jacquie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, in all honesty, if someone wants to give me $1200, I'll take it, but I also think it's a way to buy votes. If they were really trying to help solve the issue, the plan would have more detail and regulations. You get $1200 whether you have 1 child or 5? You get that amount of money no matter what the cost of living is in your city? It just doesn't seem very well thought out to me.

As far as the healthcare goes, I agree with mamahubb about US healthcare. I lived in Illinois, so my only experience with the heathcare in the US is within that 1 state, but it was a HUGE eye opener as to how good socialized healthcare is. Everyone at the company I worked for in Chicago said that we had one of the best healthcare plans available - better than a lot of companies. I was astounded to hear that.

I understand, Michelle, about your point that the issue is the waiting. I hope that they can find a happy medium whereby the current system stays in place, but an individual can pay for private services if he/she wants to and can afford to. I know, I want to have my cake and eat it too!
TTC #1:
5/20/05:
5/27/05:
5/28/05: miscarriage
08/27/05:
08/30/05: miscarriage
01/15/05: misdiagnosed with PCOS
08/29/06: first appt at fertility clinic (was already pregnant with dd and didn't know it)
08/31/06:
05/16/07: DD was born

TTC #2:
11/13/09: let's try again!
03/10/10: tests with new OB - everything totally normal for DH and I, no indication of pcos; officially diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility"
04/21/10 - 10/13/10: 7 unsuccessful rounds of clomid with OB
11/13/10 - 14/23/11: 3 unsuccessful IUI's with clomid at fertility clinic
07/27/11: ER for IVF - retrieved 27; 17 were mature enough to fertilize; all 17 fertilized; 11 made it to day 3 embryos; 6 made it to day 6 blasts. Transferred 1, froze 5.
08/08/11: positive hpt!
08/13/11 - 08/20/11: positive blood test (186), but cramping and bleeding. 2 days later, blood at 275; 2 days later, blood at 21. Inevitable miscarriage.
10/13/11: start suprefact for first FET
December 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I never paid attention to the $$ for children, we wouldn't get any regardless so it isn't something that would change my vote one way or another.

December 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Quote:
I hope that they can find a happy medium whereby the current system stays in place, but an individual can pay for private services if he/she wants to and can afford to.[/b]
This is what Klein was trying to do in AB(and has succeeded to a degree). The big problem with this is that the rich who doesn't urgently need a service gets it before those who really need it do. This is the beginning of going towards a US like system.

Personally I'd rather wait 6months for a test than pay more than my mortgage payment to be told which dr I can see, which basic service I can have, to pay to see the dr in the first place, to pay for a hospital room, to pay $3 for a $.005 tylenol while in that hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search