Any tips on starting solids?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kairi has been taking rice cereal like a champ for about a week now!

Only once a day, sometimes twice. Aside from that she is still EBF. However I am thinking I will introduce a fruit or veggie soon.
Any tips? What should I start her with?
November 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Well when you decide to give baby food, make sure you read the jar because it will tell what food to introduce first. (ie Step 1, step 2 etc) at least from what I remember. Start with squash or something that I remember. Also make sure you warm it up too, it tastes better for them.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
November 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Step 1 veg is where I started, carrots I think
November 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Super Mommy
My Dr. suggested starting with meats first. Chicken in Broth is what I started her on 4 days ago. Honestly, she friggen hates it! But I just keep trying. I think I'm going to give it up soon, it's pretty nasty! And smells disgusting. Other than that I give her cereal in the morning.

November 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started with peas. Honestly she rarely gets solids. She doesnt really need them, shes thriving on her breastmilk. No one can believe shes so healthy and rarely eating solids lol

November 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
JMTSMOMMA's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started James on carrots around the same age as Kairi. He was EBF as well. Honestly I wish I would have waited a bit because it did mess with my supply and I had to work hard from then on. He has also self weaned just this past week and I totally attribute that to starting solids too early . He is till taking a bottle but my stash is going FAST! He's almost one so we made it a good long way but STILL, sad.

My Doc also suggested meats first but he was like FORGET IT MOM! We went, carrots, then squash, then peas (he hated them and still does) sweet potatoes (also hated those and still not a potato fan) then pears etc.. etc... He really didn't like meat until about 9.5 months or so and even then only chicken. Good luck!

~Sometimes the days seem long, but the years are so very short.~

November 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I admit Im shocked that any doctor would suggest meat as a first food. Its harder for the body to digest. It will be a long time before my baby gets meat, but then again Im very anal at what she eats

November 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Actually in Europe and the UK as well as here in Canada, health services and many peds say meat as one of baby's first foods is the way to go due to the level of heme iron in meats. The idea is that offering your baby meats earlier rather than later helps baby maintain proper levels of iron. Apparently it isn't any harder to digest at 6 months really than say 8 months.

Still depends on babe's palate though and mine wasn't having it lol!

November 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After cereal, I began both my girls on carrots (I'm very allergic to beans/peas so we don't do those),
November 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Whats heme iron?

November 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Heme iron is found in meat, poultry and fish and is absorbed more easily than non-hem iron which is found in plants, eggs etc...like you will absorb 3-4 times more iron from meat than a non heme iron source. Eating other types of foods like those rich in Vitamin C along with with non heme iron sources helps the body absorb more of the iron. So for example people who are vegetarians can remain healthy with balanced iron levels even when they choose a no meat diet they just have to make a few more informed food choices to get there! HTH!

November 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
ok, thx. I like learning new health things

November 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woah, thanks for all the great tips! That was really interesting about the heme iron... makes me realize how much I should really be reading up on this. I feel so uninformed all of a sudden! However, things are still going great with Kairi and her rice cereal! I gave her some apple/banana sauce mixed into it the other day. She didn't seem to like it all that much... but, nothing thus far has given her any tummy troubles, which was my main fear. I think her next food will be sweet potatos.

Although it was my first food, and so many others, I have read some bad things about nitrates in carrots... so I am all paranoid about giving them to her now... Anyone know anything about that? Is it just hype or is there some fact to it?
November 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
One lady i my PR said one of her friends daughter was deathly allergic to carrots and almost died :/

November 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
~Valerie~
Quote:
Step 1 veg is where I started, carrots I think[/b]
same here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search