From one Canadian mommy to another

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2008, 06:52 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I'm not going to tell you how to vote. But as you probably know, there is a new "coalition government" made up of the Bloc Quebecois, the NDP, and the Liberals who are going to try to force their way into the PM's seat.

The trouble with this - NOBODY GETS TO VOTE.

Aren't we supposed to be a democracy?!? I can choose my ruling party myself, thank you very much. The point of an election - the one we had just a little while ago - is to ensure that all Canadians' voices are heard. If another election is called and this new "coalition" gets in, then fine. We followed due process and they won, fair and square.

But if the Governer General just puts them in there, without consulting us - CANADIAN TAXPAYERS - then it's a violation of our rights as Canadians.

If you agree, email the Governor General and share your thoughts: info@gg.ca

This isn't about political parties or beliefs. It's about your right as a Canadian to participate in the selection of your government. Don't let them just TELL you who's in charge. It's your Canada. You pick!
December 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
JMTSMOMMA's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THANK YOU for posting this. So many Moms are too busy to really pay attention to what is going on politically. I choose to make myself VERY aware. It affects my family so I pay careful attention.

I am infuriated with the state of our government at this moment. If this is allowed to happen it will be a dark day for Canadians REGARDLESS of political leanings!

~Sometimes the days seem long, but the years are so very short.~

December 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
THANK YOU for posting this. So many Moms are too busy to really pay attention to what is going on politically. I choose to make myself VERY aware. It affects my family so I pay careful attention.

I am infuriated with the state of our government at this moment. If this is allowed to happen it will be a dark day for Canadians REGARDLESS of political leanings![/b]

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
December 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you can sign petition now

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?CANADIAN

December 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've just spent the past 2 hours sending emails to various political leaders and the GG. I'm glad to see other politically minded CDN mama's here.
December 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
ditto that

December 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I disagree completely. What's going on right now is completely legal and definitely not undemocratic. It has legal precedent in our country and in other countries with a Parliamentary Democracy. (Stephen Harper himself had suggested a similar coalition when he was leader of the opposition!!!)

I think Stephen Harper was arrogant to try and govern like he had 100% of the power when in fact, less than 38% of voters chose him. I'm sorry but he's getting exactly what he deserves. He HAS lost the confidence of the House through his own fault so now, one of two things has to happen: either Michaelle Jean gives the coalition a try or we're having another election, less than two months after our last vote. That's how our parliament works!

I'm definitely not crazy about the idea of Stéphane Dion getting to be prime minister, but he will be replaced (hopefully before May but I don't know if it can happen). I still think the GG should give the coalition a chance to govern.

And I hate that everyone is saying the Bloc is part of the coalition. The Bloc supports the coalition and said it wouldn't oppose to it. But it won't have any ministers. The Green party also supports it btw.

December 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
You can not deny that getting into bed with the Bloc in ANY form whether they hold cabinet seats or not is unpatriotic come on! Our country is based on unity as a nation. The Bloc has no interest in that unity.

Stephan Dion is weak as a leader and a buffoon and it frightens me that this will be the man representing my country even if it is only until May!

I see one person here calling it un-democrtic.

Me? I want my RIGHT to vote.

Tell me that 7 weeks ago when you went to the polls and voted you thought "hey if I don't get my way I will throw a big fit a buddy up with all the other voters who voted for someone else and gang up on the guy who wins!"

Yes, PM Stephen Harper is a tyrannical a -hole. But the opposition parties knew this long before the recent election, and should have made their intent to form a coalition known to the voting public. (If the parties are so similar, they should have dissolved into one (or two) parties, and if they are not similar, how do they expect to govern?

So while it may be the way it works the coalition went about things in a stinky, sneaky way.

7 weeks! Wait until the budget is tabled in January. It offends me that the voice of the Canadian people's vote such a short time ago is being ignored. 38% of voters choose Harper giving him his minority government for the SECOND time. Do we really have to go through this again?

December 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand your point of view, I honestly do. It's a very frustrating situation, both for people who did vote for Harper and for those who didn't. It is true that 38 % of voters chose Harper. But the fact that 62 % of voters didn't means that Canadian gave him a MINORITY government. That, to me, means that the conservatives should govern in collaboration with the other parties. But they didn't do that, therefore, they didn't respect the wishes of Canadians. I do believe that the other parties would have let the conservatives govern (like they did after the last election) if they hadn't been such arrogant bullies.

That being said, the GG allowed the prorogation of the parliament, so the coalition won't get to be in power. Who knows what will happen in January? My prediction is that there will be another election and the conservatives will get their majority, especially since the liberals are leader-less.

December 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
My prediction is that there will be another election and the conservatives will get their majority, especially since the liberals are leader-less.

Agreed and they brought it on themselves by doing this! Had they waited for the budget to be tabled Harper would have shot himself in the foot. Heck he would shoot himself in four feet if he had them. All this coalition has done is p-off people like me. I won't say who I voted for because it doesn't matter. 300 million dollars was spent on the last election and we again voted in a minority government. Do we just keep spending until the opposition gets what it wants?

December 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I agree, it will be a sad, sad day for Canada if this is permitted to happen..
December 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Veteran
Thank you for posting this. I want to do something to show my support in the anti-coalition. I certainly do not want a coalition government. It isn't what the vote wanted. We did not want a Liberal government. Normally I am a Liberal supporter but I just couldn't support Dion. He is an idiot! Anyways, I do want to vote again and I suspect that should the GG agree to another election we may see more than 59% of people vote. I see these parties as bad losers and are NOT taking Canada's best interest into consideration. I am FURIOUS of any coalition involving the Bloc. Anyways, my thoughts and I will sign any petition. send an email to the GG and whatever I have to do.
December 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
I see one person here calling it un-democrtic.

Me? I want my RIGHT to vote.

Tell me that 7 weeks ago when you went to the polls and voted you thought "hey if I don't get my way I will throw a big fit a buddy up with all the other voters who voted for someone else and gang up on the guy who wins!"[/b]

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
December 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
~Valerie~
thanks for posting this

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search