Holiday Traditions

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
JMTSMOMMA's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your family have anything traditional they do or a special food you have only over the holidays? What makes the Holidays special for you?

~Sometimes the days seem long, but the years are so very short.~

December 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
My family is dutch and we eat dutch foods for Christmas dinner. Usually cold food for dinner. Dutch people (well at least my grandparents) eat the hot meal of the day at lunch time. We eat lots of sandwiches, honey cake, chocolate hail (it's like chocolate sprinkles but better ) and we eat it on bread, It's not a traditional turkey Christmas dinner but I love it.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
December 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have our Christmas Day dinner around 2pm, that way everything is cleaned up and people can nap the rest of the day. My mom makes turkey, and vegetables, dressing, gravy. Sometimes a few pie varieties, as well as some cookies and chocolate.

I love it!

December 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Nikhol's Avatar Veteran
well on my dad's side (he's French canadian) we have a French dish called Tourtere I don't know how to spell it, but it's a traditional part of dinner it's like a meat pie...but it's had After dinner. It sounds really gross and it's traditionally made with all pork but that's pretty fatty so we usually make it 1/2 pork 1/2 beef, and eat it with ketchup mmm

we also open our presents Christmas Eve after late night mass - well we used too, now with young ones it's not so easy

with DH's family they love to do like a fun fondue that takes almost 3 hrs

Always have a full belly
December 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
estynsmom's Avatar Veteran
in my family we do all our christmas stuff on the 24th. it works out nicely since all the in laws family's celebrate the 25th. sadly, we aren't going to get to see my family this year, since it's the first year that i'm married. we're going to be with my in laws in florida... i'm not complaining. i'm really excited, also to be starting my own little family traditions with the little family we are making ourselves.
December 5th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Quote:
well on my dad's side (he's French canadian) we have a French dish called Tourtere I don't know how to spell it, but it's a traditional part of dinner it's like a meat pie...but it's had After dinner. It sounds really gross and it's traditionally made with all pork but that's pretty fatty so we usually make it 1/2 pork 1/2 beef, and eat it with ketchup mmm

we also open our presents Christmas Eve after late night mass - well we used too, now with young ones it's not so easy

with DH's family they love to do like a fun fondue that takes almost 3 hrs

Always have a full belly [/b]

This sounds kind of like our house!!

December 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
My family has a TON of traditions over Christmas.. most of ours have been carried over from my side of the family since DFs family didn't really have any..
-We all get to open one gift, Christmas PJs, on Christmas Eve and wear them that night..
-We have 3ft stockings..
-We all attend the Christmas concert and banquet together.
-We read the Christmas Story (from the Bible) every Christmas Eve.
-We each recieve a new ornament for the tree every year.
-We have to open our gifts one at a time, taking turns, so everyone sees what everyone else got.
-We have a late breakfast/early lunch and everyone goes to my parents house for an all-out breakfast
-My aunt and uncle visit every Christmas afternoon.
-We all (the entire family) go to my grandmother's house for Christmas dinner.
-We recieved small gifts everyday between Christmas and New Year's Day (we won't be starting this until our kids are a little older..)

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting lol.. Christmas is a HUGE deal in my family..
December 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
~Valerie~
no traditions really, it's just the time spent together opening our presents on Christmas morning that makes it special
December 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Quote:
My family has a TON of traditions over Christmas.. most of ours have been carried over from my side of the family since DFs family didn't really have any..
-We all get to open one gift, Christmas PJs, on Christmas Eve and wear them that night..
-We have 3ft stockings..
-We all attend the Christmas concert and banquet together.
-We read the Christmas Story (from the Bible) every Christmas Eve.
-We each recieve a new ornament for the tree every year.
-We have to open our gifts one at a time, taking turns, so everyone sees what everyone else got.
-We have a late breakfast/early lunch and everyone goes to my parents house for an all-out breakfast
-My aunt and uncle visit every Christmas afternoon.
-We all (the entire family) go to my grandmother's house for Christmas dinner.
-We recieved small gifts everyday between Christmas and New Year's Day (we won't be starting this until our kids are a little older..)

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting lol.. Christmas is a HUGE deal in my family..[/b]

I LOVE some of these! I'm stealing the following hehe:

-We each receive a new ornament for the tree every year.
-We received small gifts everyday between Christmas and New Year's Day

Christmas at your house sounds fabulous!

December 10th, 2008, 02:34 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
We still do christmas morning at my parents just like when we were growing up I'm not ready to give that up yet. I know that when we have kids, we're going to do the same things my parents did.

We have to sit on the stairs until my parents say its okay for us to come down and see the tree. They like to tease us and make us stay there for a while. We open our gifts one at a time too, stocks too! Our stocks always consist of toiletries, like shampoo, shaving cream, hair ties, etc. After presents, we eat a egg and bread oven baked thing thats rather delicious, though I'm not sure what its called. We spend the rest of the day with family, playing with our new things and having family time. Dinner is always an early dinner, same spread as a classic thanksgiving.

When we were little, my parents would drive us around on Christmas eve to go to look at "Gingerbread houses" (aka, houses that were extravagantly decorated). That was always fun and I hope I get to do that with my children.

We were only allowed to decorate the tree if the whole family was there and helping.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search