What is going on!!??

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2009, 11:26 AM
mandymom25's Avatar Member
Hi everyone,
I am now 28 weeks pregnant and my baby's movement has been very small the last few weeks. I asked my doctor about it last week and he said that I should feel 10 movements in an hour. Well I just don't! And when I told him this he brushed it off because the baby has a good heartbeat. But is a heartbeat enough at this stage? I read online about people feeling big kicks and jabs and being kept awake all night and I just do not have that at all. Now, in the last few days, I have only felt her (literally) about five times. What is going on?! I was supposed to go back to the doctor next week but I just called and got my appointment changed to this Thursday because I cannot wait that long. I asked them last time to do the non-stress test and they said they only do that if they suspect something is wrong. Well something could be wrong! Babies are supposed to move! I have tried the whole drinking something cold, eating something sweet, lying on my left side...NOTHING. Also, and this is really strange, my stomach seems to have gotten smaller than it was on the weekend. I know the baby cannot decrease in size, but what is up with this? Has anyone else experienced not feeling the baby around week 28? What do I do? Should I skip the appointment and head to emerg? Thanks,
April 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Well if you're worried then you should go in to L&D and get checked out. I did this 3 times during my pregnancy with my son. There were times when Lincoln just wouldn't move, so I got nervous and went to get NST, better safe than sorry. On another note, as you get further along your baby gets more cramped and has less and less room to move around. I've also been told that if you have placenta on the outer side of your uterus (like where your belly is) then you will feel way less movement. Also it depends on the position of the baby, if your baby is positioned so that all their limbs are to your back, you also won't feel as much then. Good luck! KUP!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I say go to emerg for a nst. You should be feeling movements as your doctor said and I wouldn't rely on the heartbeat alone. My 3rd had his placenta attached at the front, on my belly, but i still was able to feel the movements, but they weren't as strong as my 2nd who's placenta was attached to the back wall and babies are so different. No harm at all in going to L&D for a nst and some peace of mind.

Owen, Avery, Samantha and forever missing Jake born still 08/01/99.

April 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
A non-stress test measures more the reaction of the heart than movement. Yes, they want your baby to move because that will normally make the heartbeat "reactive". During the test the baby needs two reactive episodes (where the hb increases) in 20 minutes and if this doesn't occur they will "buzz" the baby to try and get him/her react. If that doesn't occur then they will do further testing to assure the baby is not getting enough oxygen.

I had NST's done 2x's per week from 26 weeks on with my son. And he would routinely be classified as "non-reactive" and we would then have further monitoring or hospital admissions. He would fail the the u/s to check for "breathing" too, all the while his HB was fine - just not increasing. It became a joke among the nurses and I and I always brought a bag with me cause I knew better.

I would definitely get into your doctor if you feel that you are not feeling enough movement. There could be other reasons such as the position of the baby, your size, placental placement.

NST's are normally done earlier in pg (28-38 wks) when there is a "high-risk" factor such as diabetes, pre-e, IUGR, and therefore that might be why your dr. hasn't said let's do this.

I hope your baby is just less active than others. But like others have said - go to the ER where they will monitor your baby and then you can have some peace of mind.
April 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
mandymom25's Avatar Member
Well I went to the doctor this morning. Again she told me the heartbeat was fine and tried to send me home. I told her I would REALLY like to do the non-stress test anyway. She acted like I was such a burden, but said they would try to fit me in, as they were "so busy"...They were not. There was no waiting for the stress test. There was nobody else on the ward. And even if they were busy, I would have waited. When I got into the room the nurse said, "Ok, we are just going to put this on for a minute to reassure you and that's it." Is it so difficult for them to slap a monitor on me a for a few minutes to make sure my baby is ok? I mean, I have been to them a couple of different times now complaining that I cannot feel my baby move and it is stressing me out. The doctor made me feel like a moron, psycho mother who doesn't know what is good for her or her baby. Grrr....
The GOOD news is that the baby is just fine. A very healthy heartbeat and we could hear (though not feel) some kicks, to which her heartbeat accelerated just right. She is just fine! But man, I am getting tired of that moronic, psyco mom feeling every time I voice a concern.
May 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Awww well I am glad you found out she is just fine! My pregnancy with Emmett was like that, he just got to a point where he hardly did anything at all and I went to the doctors twice freaking out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search