Fire in the Okanagan

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone here in the Okanagan? There is a huge fire burning in West Kelowna. 200 hectares and it's only getting bigger. We're about 40 mins away and it's kind freaking me out. I'm so worried about the people up there. So many places have burned, so many evacuees. It's so awful

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

July 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Omg, I didn't realize you were so close. That is very scary, I hope it stays contained and you guys are totally safe. Forest fires are frightening. Stay safe!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
July 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is really scary. It's really windy right now so the fire is spreading really quickly. It's heading in all directions and we're wondering how far it's going to get. It has 2 more cities to burn through before it gets to us so (I don't want to jinx us) it probably won't get this far... I don't know. We didn't live here for the last big fire in 2003 which got to be 25,000 hectares. It burned from Kelowna all the way down to chute lake which isn't too far away from our city. This fire was over 200 hectares the last update I heard a half hour ago and it just started this afternoon. I feel really awful for the people that have been evacuated... so many of them have already lost their homes. What really freaks me out is that the 25,000 hectare fire was on the side of the lake where it's a provincial park but this time it on this side of the lake where all the cities and people are. It's not good. Not good at all.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

July 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Oh that's so scary! Those poor families .. I hope it doesn't reach you, stay safe!
July 19th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just found out today that my aunt and uncle are stuck on the other side of the fire lol! I find it funny because it's no big deal. They are staying with my other aunt and uncle while they are there. They went up to give that aunt some fruit that they had growing on trees in their yard. The last I heard there haven't been any injuries It's really wonderful to see everyone trying to help everyone else. Strangers pulling together, it's really wonderful. The fire sucks though.

And I realized I was wrong when I said we didn't live here for the bigger fire. I got confused because we've moved up from vancouver and down to vancouver and then up again. The smoke got so bad then that it was really really hard to breathe. There were spots along the highway where people would drive to so they could stand in safety across the lake from the fire and watch it. Hopefully the community and emergency and forestry workers learned (is that supposed to be learnt?) enough from that fire to keep this one from spreading as much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search