Winter Coats in Car Seats are NOT SAFE

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Thick coats and snow suits create way too much bulk between your child and their harness.. the coat will decompress in a crash making the harness way too loose to keep your child safe.

The straps are as tight as they go with the coat on

And this is what the straps will be like in a crash when the coat decompresses! You would never drive with your LO buckled in like this, right?!

If the harness is that loose, your child isn't restrained properly, and will be seriously injured or even thrown from their car seat! I know some of you are thinking I'm nuts right now (and maybe I am ) BUT this is very serious.

Fleece is one safe alternative in the car. It's thin and warm making it a safe choice. Then if your LO will be outside for a long time, you can put their winter coat on while they aren't in their car seat. I know Canadian winters get very cold, but fleece is VERY warm. I'm in Minnesota and it gets well below zero here, too. (oh jeez.. I'm not good with conversions.. that's -17 celsius. Then you add the wind chill and we get down to like -26, -28 celsius..) My kids wear fleece snow suits, hats, and mittens and they stay nice and warm. Then I have thick blankets in the car if they want them.
(I tried to find fleece available in Canada.. forgive me if I'm way off LOL!)
MEC Yeti Hooded Jacket 2 (Children's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op
Boys' Columbia Sportswear Company® 'Steens Mountain' Fleece Zip Jacket : Sears Canada
Girls' Columbia Sportswear Company® 'Benton Springs' Fleece Zip Jacket : Sears Canada

If you don't have fleece, another option is "the coat trick". You put them in their car seat, unzip their winter coat, and pull the sides through the harness straps. Then buckle your LO in and zip the coat up around the harness. That way the harness is against your child snugly. (I'm taking a video of this and I'll post it when it's done )

For infant car seats, anything that fits over the top like a shower cap is great! Amazon.com: Kiddopotamus PoshPouch Premium Baby Carrier Cover Faux Seude & Fur, Pink: Baby
Something that goes under your baby can interfere with the harness so stay away from those (Bundle Me, etc) Toys"R"Us - Jolly Jumper Cuddle Bag with Head Hugger - Tan

Check out this thread on the Car Seat Safety Board for lots more info!!! We'd be happy to answer any questions you have http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...ter-coats.html

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

October 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Thanks for this Madeline. I had always put my children in their car seats with their winter coats on, but a couple of months ago I came to the Car Seat Safety Board and read how dangerous it can be. My children already have fleece jackets for this up coming winter and I will be carrying my youngest in a blanket to the car, and then cover both kids in the car with the blanket, once they're buckled in. I appreciate your input, a lot of people don't know about the risks with using a winter jacket in a car seat.

I do have a question though, my children will be in snow pants. Their snow pants are just the bottoms with suspenders. Is it safe to have them in these snow pants with their fleece jackets. Their snowpants only come to their hips. Thanks!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!

Last edited by blondie-lox; October 7th, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
October 7th, 2009, 06:41 AM
JMTSMOMMA's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanx Miss Maddie appreciate you sharing this info. Very valuable, INVALUABLE for us Canadian Mommas who have no choice but to have our kids in coats!

Laurel you CAN have them in their coats just watch Maddies's vid on how to do it! We did this last year and it works like a charm!

~Sometimes the days seem long, but the years are so very short.~

October 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info. I never put my ds in his car seat with a winter coat on. We make sure he's wearing a nice warm sweater and we have the heat on full blast in the car. When we stop the car we bundle him up in his winter coat before we open the doors so he's always warm

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

October 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I am SO happy to hear this you guys! Way to keep your kiddos safe.

Laurel, I imagine snow pants create a lot of bulk around their thighs/hips as well. Can you find a fleece snowsuit instead? Or put their snow pants on when you get to where you're going? My kids have fleece snowsuits from Hanna Andersson (I got them on sale, I would never pay full price there LOL) and they work great. If we're going to be playing in the snow, I pack the snow pants and winter coats and put them on when we get there.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

October 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Sounds good. I'm going to find some fleece snow pants or a full snow suit. Thanks!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search