Albertans

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM
chelseamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok... i hear through the gossip vine, that we are getting more ralph bucks? is this true?

Thank you to Vicki.. For my amazing Siggy

[IMG]
July 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I heard it too but I haven't heard any confirmation.

Personally, I would rather they used them for things that are needed, such as highways, healthcare, etc.

I know that because of the lack of funds from the province to my area, they are now delaying or stopping oilsands expansions. This is going to cause the province to not make as much money. So, perhaps they won't give out anymore and will instead put some money into my area so that we can handle the influx of residents (we need more roads, Drs, water treatment facilities) and then the expansions can go ahead and make more money for the province.

July 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM
mrobinson
We had a major rant about this at the Distress Centre.. We have preggo moms waiting for availablity at the shelter's, we have seniors and mental health patients waiting for beds at hospitals.. We have no family doctors, etc..

WHY Ralph? Why?

I forgot ~ the schools are falling apart too.
July 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
See the only reason i am for this money is cause being a single mom, that money goes FAR! it made soooo much of a difference this year. cause i knew it was coming, i splurged a little at christmas and my son got stuff he wanted. it was a godsend!

[IMG]
July 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Quote:
See the only reason i am for this money is cause being a single mom, that money goes FAR! it made soooo much of a difference this year. cause i knew it was coming, i splurged a little at christmas and my son got stuff he wanted. it was a godsend![/b]
I see where you are coming from. BUT, if the AB government doesn't do something about things in Fort McMurray there will be no more surpluses, there will be only debt. If Fort McMurray didn't exist there would still be debt in this province. I could use the cash too, but I would rather see the province use it for something longterm that makes it possible for us to still have surpluses.

July 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
mrobinson
The reason why we have no debt is mainly because of oil and gas, I agree.. I think Ralph has been putting off re-investing into schools and hospitals too long. The poor are really suffering because of it.

(I understand where you're coming from too Chels! BTW: I have a few boxes now.)
July 4th, 2006, 03:29 PM
YOU HAVE BOXES! thats exciting.. i still only have one.. i have called staples and stuff.. no such luck yet

[IMG]
July 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
mrobinson
I'll keep them for you!
July 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
if the AB government doesn't do something about things in Fort McMurray there will be no more surpluses, there will be only debt.[/b]
not true, Fort McMurray is NOT the only major oil producing city in Alberta, they are also not the only city experiencing the problems that they are currently having.

I am guessing we will see more money.

There was 8.1 Billion surplus AFTER they paid out the money earlier(in total it was 13 Billion).

Oil companies are ONLY taxed 1% until they reach a certain level and most oil companies are not at that level(then they'd be taxed 25%).

There is talk to increase what the oil companies pay in tax so it is more than that 1%.
July 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
see i heard these new checks will be 500 each member due to the estimate

[IMG]
July 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
mrobinson
I heard as high as $800
July 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
if the AB government doesn't do something about things in Fort McMurray there will be no more surpluses, there will be only debt.[/b]
not true, Fort McMurray is NOT the only major oil producing city in Alberta, they are also not the only city experiencing the problems that they are currently having.

I am guessing we will see more money.

There was 8.1 Billion surplus AFTER they paid out the money earlier(in total it was 13 Billion).

Oil companies are ONLY taxed 1% until they reach a certain level and most oil companies are not at that level(then they'd be taxed 25%).

There is talk to increase what the oil companies pay in tax so it is more than that 1%.
[/b][/quote]

You are right, Fort McMurray isn't the only place in Alberta contributing oil, BUT it is the biggest producer of crude oil in the province, I believe it is the biggest producer in North America, definately potentially the biggest producer. At least 1/3 of the Earths' oil reserves are in the Wood Buffalo region.

You are also right, it isn't the only place suffering from lack of funds, but it is the fastest growing city in Alberta.

I would just like to see this area the provincial support it deserves and has earned.

We are short over 150 staff at the hospital, over 50 are nurses. We do not have enough streets and highways, the province has finally promised to twin the highway south, but it isn't soon enough, a lot of people die on that highway, it is a huge deterrent in my family going on a vacation. The water treatment plant is over capacity, we need it to be upgraded desperately.

I could go on and on, but I am totally derailing this thread.

Chelsea, I have not heard the figure amount of the next proposed cheques.

July 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
mrobinson
*Wheew* I didn't want to come off as arguementative.. we are having the same issues here in Calgary.... If I had a child come home one day from school, sent home because of the building structure I'd be livid.
July 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM
well michelle, there was that school in the NE thats roof started to collapse in... so school was let out early lol..

as for the checks... when i called regarding mat leave, i asked about that. they said THEY didnt have any info, however i could call the premeirs office in edmonton and be able to find out more.

[IMG]
July 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
mrobinson
310-0000
July 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
***crawling out from under my rock***

I haven't heard a thing about it. Good thing I check this board on JM. I'm interested to know what you find out.
I would like to have the money too, but I do think it would be better spent on other things. (like the ones already mentioned)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search