Government, wages, and more... a really long vent.

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
canadian_ehngel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
So I got a letter in the mail today from MSP saying I owe somewhere around $250 for me and dd. I'm a SAHM and therefore I don't make any money. I don't understand how they think I can pay $100 a month for the services. I wish I could..... but I'm far from it. I'm going to phone them and tell them I don't make any money, I can't prove it, and they can shove the money up their a**es. Argh!!!! I'm so frustrated with them!

Also our child tax money is being decreased from $278 per month down to $100 per month, because my SO had EI pay for his schooling, and so they considered the whole $12000 + living costs our income. They say we made $37000 last year. If that was true we would have been living waayyy better than we were and are. I'm so mad!!!!!!! I want to put money away for Amber in an RESP but I can't since the child tax is going down so much. Grr. That is basically MY only income that I could use for whatever... but it also goes to diapers, formula and whatever other baby needs we have to get. So it usually leaves me with around $100.... now I won't have enough for all of that, I'll have to use some of SO's money he makes.

I can't believe he is a college grad and only makes $12/hr. It is ridiculous. He is a painter, too, and doesn't even get benefits!!!!! No medical, no dental, nothing. I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled, and Amber will have to get her first dentist check up in 5 months. Nope, no benefits what-so-ever. Ugh. Again. I am so upset right now. I can't even stand it. I would like to live comfortably and maybe go on outings and not have to worry about how much money we spend. We can never, ever go out to even a movie because we can't afford it. We can't even buy groceries we need because we can't afford them. We can't afford the gas to get to the store and back. Why does everything have to be so bloody expensive?! We used to be able to go to Victoria and Vancouver every once in a while just for an outing, for something to do, just for fun. Now we can't even get half way to Victoria. ARGH!!!!!!!!! Damm money sucks. I wanna go to the BC get together, too, but can't because we have 0 money to be able to afford the ferry or get into the aquarium. Man, I can't do anything anymore.
July 11th, 2006, 07:37 AM
mrobinson

Oh hon.. I know it's tough. I know I don't understand why we have a government that doesn't seem to support the families it's supposed to represent.

You know I read your story and I couldn't help but think, I need you to come over and budget for me. You're doing awesome with the limited resources you have. I hope things start turning around for you soon because I think you're doing a great job.

If nothing else, I hope the vent helped. I think we all here understand most!
July 11th, 2006, 10:36 AM
nat81
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 13th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Send a message via MSN to canadian_ehngel Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_ehngel
Quote:

Oh hon.. I know it's tough. I know I don't understand why we have a government that doesn't seem to support the families it's supposed to represent.

You know I read your story and I couldn't help but think, I need you to come over and budget for me. You're doing awesome with the limited resources you have. I hope things start turning around for you soon because I think you're doing a great job.

If nothing else, I hope the vent helped. I think we all here understand most! [/b]

Lol it would be my SO doing the budgeting. Although I'm not doing so bad either. He grew up in a not-so-rich family, living in a run down mobile, not getting any brand new clothes or things, etc. And I grew up with parents who have always had great jobs, and basically I am a spoiled brat. But since I have been with my SO, I have cut back on all my buying habits... if I had a job and an income, then I would be spending money left right and center. LOL.

Oh and also, I phoned MSP today and because I haven't had a job for about a year and a half, my bill is going to be covered by permanent Premium Assistance. I'm so happy I got the nerve to call them I was ready for a fight, too.
July 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we just went through a HUGE fiasco with MSP thinking I owe them thousands upon thousands of dollars which i didnt.
they destroyed my credit and withheld my tax return,child tax gst,etc
my dad , my lawyer , a minister for the provincial government and some other guy spent close to two years trying to get my tax return.

To be completely honest I developed a VERY strong hatred for the Canadian government which developed into a hatred for Canada and multiple attempts to move to the US.
Luckily it finally got sorted out after a file so large my dad had to courier it in an actual 3 ring binder.
I got a formal apology letter from someone in the government and although my credit is still shot because of it they at least know i do not owe them.
I'm glad you got it sorted out because it wouldnt have evolved to what it had if I had of known how to take care of it in the beginning.

my fiance and a friend own a painting/home improvement company.
my fiance started out painting at 17/hr. he is being ripped off at only 12/hr.

if thats how it is in Nanaimo i would seriously consider moving to Victoria. painting jobs are so freakin easy to find here and so long as he has experience he should make more than 12/hr.
I wish my fiance was looking to hire right now .

there are jobs coming out our noses here everywhere is hiring and they are opening a new mall that is supposed to be absolutely massive so they will be hiring like crazy for that.

July 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
WOW I can't believe all that trouble you had to go through with the government. That is soooo bloody frustrating. I cannot stand the government.

My SO didn't have much experience with painting, he's painted his own house, and just painted his truck (rolled paint on) and helped his parents paint and other people paint. So he knows what he's doing, and loves it, but I just don't think $12/hr is enough.
July 15th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
it isnt enough like I said my fiance when he had no more than a couple months experience he got 17/hr

does he have any experience spraying?
my fiance's painting company does both residential and commercial , rolling and spraying.
they just got a contract to spray all the taxis for some company here in town.

July 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I don't believe he has any or much experience spraying. The company he's working for now does both commercial and residencial too... they're finishing up a condo building, and then moving onto an... I guess you could call it a strip mall. Don't know if you know where Longwood Station is or the pub there. SO is a FAST learner though!
July 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't believe he has any or much experience spraying. The company he's working for now does both commercial and residencial too... they're finishing up a condo building, and then moving onto an... I guess you could call it a strip mall. Don't know if you know where Longwood Station is or the pub there. SO is a FAST learner though![/b]
I sort of know where it is but I do not know the Nanaimo area super well.

July 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
(Mayhem)'s Avatar ~!Theresa!~
Send a message via MSN to (Mayhem)
I am in the same boat! We have to budget every single cent and some months it seems that no matter how much we cut back there never seems to be enough to go around. I look around some times and wonder what we are going to do when the baby is here. We are a full years pay in debt and I see no way that that is ever going change. The only thing that I am lucky about is that my dh has benefits or else we would really be up sh** creek as I have asthma and need regular medication. Going to get help only seems to make things worse.

July 18th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So I got a letter in the mail today from MSP saying I owe somewhere around $250 for me and dd. I'm a SAHM and therefore I don't make any money. I don't understand how they think I can pay $100 a month for the services. I wish I could..... but I'm far from it. I'm going to phone them and tell them I don't make any money, I can't prove it, and they can shove the money up their a**es. Argh!!!! I'm so frustrated with them!

Also our child tax money is being decreased from $278 per month down to $100 per month, because my SO had EI pay for his schooling, and so they considered the whole $12000 + living costs our income. They say we made $37000 last year. If that was true we would have been living waayyy better than we were and are. I'm so mad!!!!!!! I want to put money away for Amber in an RESP but I can't since the child tax is going down so much. Grr. That is basically MY only income that I could use for whatever... but it also goes to diapers, formula and whatever other baby needs we have to get. So it usually leaves me with around $100.... now I won't have enough for all of that, I'll have to use some of SO's money he makes.

I can't believe he is a college grad and only makes $12/hr. It is ridiculous. He is a painter, too, and doesn't even get benefits!!!!! No medical, no dental, nothing. I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled, and Amber will have to get her first dentist check up in 5 months. Nope, no benefits what-so-ever. Ugh. Again. I am so upset right now. I can't even stand it. I would like to live comfortably and maybe go on outings and not have to worry about how much money we spend. We can never, ever go out to even a movie because we can't afford it. We can't even buy groceries we need because we can't afford them. We can't afford the gas to get to the store and back. Why does everything have to be so bloody expensive?! We used to be able to go to Victoria and Vancouver every once in a while just for an outing, for something to do, just for fun. Now we can't even get half way to Victoria. ARGH!!!!!!!!! Damm money sucks. I wanna go to the BC get together, too, but can't because we have 0 money to be able to afford the ferry or get into the aquarium. Man, I can't do anything anymore.[/b]
I know this post is from a few days ago but I don't come in here that often because I don't have any kids yet.

I'm sorry you are so frustrated. I know where you are coming from though. I don't work because I had to quit my job a couple years ago because I got cancer. I have tried to get a job since I got better but no one will hire me because I've been out of work for 2 years. My husband works full time and goes to school full time. He leaves at 5 in the morning and doesn't get home till after 10 pm. He is a welder but only makes $16 an hour. It's only half of what he's worth. I know thats more than what ur dh makes but it still is not enough. I don't know how expensive it is to live in nanaimo but here in surrey it gets pretty bad. My husband works in port kells and uses about 50-60 dollars in gas every week. We drive a little honda but it's not cheap. We have only 1 car. We live in a 500 sq f. apt. we have 3 cats. We have no land line no cable and the internet I use is a shared connection with our neighbour. We have NO money to get things we need. All of our money goes to bills. We also got a bill from msp wanting money. First of all - We have full medical through dh's school. We also pay every month for FULL and EXTENDED medical through his work and msp still wants $!!! We had to pay it though which means that we will have to borrow $ from dh's dad to make rent at the end of the month. anyway, I didn't mean to write this much..

Sorry, I started typing and I couldn't stop! lol! I know what you mean though. Everything is too ###### expensive. Even my gst is less than last year. Only by $2 but that $2 would buy milk or somthing. I wonder when the government will wake up and realize that people like us cannot afford to pay all this stuff. Probably never.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

July 18th, 2006, 03:47 PM
mrobinson
EvelynMA?!?!

July 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The government loves to rape our wallets. No matter what province or territory we live in... no matter what they say they're doing for Canadians, it all ends up back in their pockets.

It sucks.

My boyfriend is from B.C. and has been living in Ontario for 5 years. He recently got a letter from B.C. medical demanding he pay his B.C. medical bill!!!! HELLO!! he's been living in Ontario, he just got mail from B.C. Medical in ONTARIO. why the heck would they bill him for 5 years of medical in B.C.!!! geesh!!! And because of this he got a letter last week saying that he will not be getting his GST cheques this year or any other year until he pays BC medical back.

anyway, he has to fight it now. It's all a big mess, but basically... just another way for the government to get money.

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
July 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Tiggy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Tiggy
GST being cut by $2? Id be happy with that, lol. Instead this year we dont get GST whatsoever anymore since we made $200 over the limit for GST. We always used that GST check to pay our waterbill that came 4 times a year

July 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The government loves to rape our wallets. No matter what province or territory we live in... no matter what they say they're doing for Canadians, it all ends up back in their pockets.

It sucks.

My boyfriend is from B.C. and has been living in Ontario for 5 years. He recently got a letter from B.C. medical demanding he pay his B.C. medical bill!!!! HELLO!! he's been living in Ontario, he just got mail from B.C. Medical in ONTARIO. why the heck would they bill him for 5 years of medical in B.C.!!! geesh!!! And because of this he got a letter last week saying that he will not be getting his GST cheques this year or any other year until he pays BC medical back.

anyway, he has to fight it now. It's all a big mess, but basically... just another way for the government to get money.[/b]
been there done that and I acutally lived in Ontario when BC started billing me as well.
if you have any questions feel free to PM and I'll ask my dad. I signed a form saying my dad and my lawyer could fight for me because I didnt know enough about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search