* October Chat Thread *

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Here is your October chat thread...a place to post one liners, drop in say hi, and get to know other members.

Who's noticed the significant weather shift to cooler weather after the scorching summer? Me! I love fall weather but this summer was great with all the hot weather!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
its cooler now forsure, im happy to have the cooler temps, it was so miserably hot this summer

October 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The rain started today, I'm hoping it'll warm up for the weekend but it was 5* and windy this am
October 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only hard part about the cooler weather is that it is impossible to dress DD for school. It starts out cold and by the end of the day, it's usually in the high teens/low 20s. But otherwise, it is absolutely lovely out!

What are everyone's plans for Thanksgiving this weekend?
October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
they're calling for snow tonight

I think we're going to the ILs for the weekend
October 2nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Snow already?! That's crazy!

It was 20* today, but it started out cool, and I was dying of heat in my sweater by midday.

For the first time in 10 years, DH's and my family aren't doing thanksgiving on the same day! Going to my parents on Sunday, and the ILs on Monday!!!

For anyone that works - are you making it an extended weekend? Oktoberfest starts here on Friday so a lot of people take Friday off for the tapping of the keg...I'm going for the first time in my life since I never was able to take the day off...but I'm on mat leave so I'm taking advantage this year

Jess
October 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
-6 tonight here, just emptied the garden.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
cutebee's Avatar Veteran
Oktoberfest is driving me crazy!! I work at a food distribution company and the orders for some of the tents are horrible! So needless to say I have to work all thanksgiving sunday and monday. I work nights so I only see the cool side of the day haha I like it, i don't take the heat very well.

[IMG][/IMG]
October 4th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I love Oktoberfest, but I've only seen it from the partying side. I was thinking of taking Cameron to the parade on Monday, but at 8 weeks it's not going to mean anything to him if the weather is nice, we may go anyways!

The Oktoberfest parade is bigger than our Santa Claus parade here!

Anyone starting any Halloween prep or waiting until after Thanksgiving?

Jess
October 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
ive never been to oktoberfest, i dont think they have one here. Where are you guys that have them? DH has been when he lived in waterloo (he went to university there) he even has a stupid hat with a feather in it sill

October 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I have never heard of Oktoberfest ! I have my children starting to prep the candy bags for halloween and the costumes are ready.

October 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm from the Aug 2011 board, I saw the invite and decided to pop over here.

I'm enjoying the cooler weather, it's nice to be comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

We get to enjoy 2 turkey dinners this weekend and I don't have to prepare either one. Really looking forward to that.

October 4th, 2012, 06:44 PM
KW here

Its legendary Its the biggest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. Its lots of fun! I was in TO for work one year on the opening Friday, and it took me 4.5 hours to get home from...normally maybe an hour's drive...all because of the traffic into the area!

Don't forget to sign the October Roll Call and the Who's Here threads

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...roll-call.html (~ October Roll Call ~)
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...whos-here.html (Who's Here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
Hi, I'm from the Aug 2011 board, I saw the invite and decided to pop over here.

I'm enjoying the cooler weather, it's nice to be comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

We get to enjoy 2 turkey dinners this weekend and I don't have to prepare either one. Really looking forward to that.

2 dinners you don't have to prepare - I'm jealous!

Jess
October 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM
last time I did oktoberfest was twenty years ago in university, very fun!
October 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never been to Oktoberfest either but it sounds like fun!

I'm loving the cooler temps! This summer was too hot for my liking. We didn't even get out to do any of our usual activities this year at all. Of course being pregnant had a lot to do with that too!
October 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I'm so glad that we don't have snow warnings yet!

We are actually doing a joint Thanksgiving with some of my family and Rich's family. It's sort of a potluck too. I am doing the turkey and I have only done one once before and it was terrible. But that was 10 years ago and I think my cooking skills have improved.

Today I made my first new Tim's order trying to cut calories. 2 milk 1 sugar as opposed to regular or double double.
October 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are heading to Toronto tomorrow to spend Thanksgiving weekend with DH's family.

I have never made a turkey and hope I can keep that up for another 50 years. Pulling out the guts of a bird is not for me.

We went to an Oktoberfest thing last weekend (in September!). It was alright, but our friend really wanted DH to drink beer and he wasn't interested. Also, of all the tents, there was only one with a couple of things for the kids to do. Kind of a bust.

Double double, yum. We have cut carbs out of our diet, so now we get two creams, one sweetener. It's still good.
October 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
Hi from the August 12 PR. I peek in from time to time
I'm so glad the heat is gone. I expect a few weeks of it but that was just brutal. Friends in Calgary have seen snow already /gag
My family has been through some big changes this year and we're not having our big traditional supper; it looks like our thanksgiving meal is just the four of us for the first time ever. Good thing I happened to pick up a turkey a couple of weeks ago
Now I wish I'd picked up a coffee when I was out this morning
October 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mmm...coffee...

I'm loving the temperature today...15* - its perfect! We went to the keg tapping for Oktoberfest...so we parked, 10 min walk, and then stood for over an hour and a half. I had a very light sweater on. It was perfect. Hoping for the same weather on Monday and we may go to the parade.

Jess
October 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
That's great that the weather cooperated for you, Jess.

I just helped Rich's Mum set up the tables for dinner. She is a plan-ahead kind of person and wanted it all set up today. She got a little bit stressed. I have a feeling it won't be at her house again next year.

I had a Welcome Wagon lady stop by with a bunch of freebies from local businesses. I am most excited about a voucher for a free cut and style. I so need to get my hair done. I am so glad I signed up for it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search