Giving Birth in Canada?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Corrupt
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey.

So I have some questions about your birthing experiences. I have been really interested in learning as much as I can about it now that I will be going through it in a few months. I have seen so many documentaries and read many books/articles about birth/natural birth, and many seem to villainize the medical system and doctors, but they are all VERY AMERICAN. I am planning for an all natural birth. I am under Midwifery care, but because of our location, I don't feel it would be responsible to have the baby at home (we are over an hour from the nearest hospital) and will be delivering at the closest hospital in a small city north of us. I am not clear the role nurses play while at the hospital and really am considering hiring a doula to help me and dh through this process. Because of the research I've been doing, I'm almost scared out of anything 'medical' but I know that the US is very different than how things can be done here. I was hoping that a few of you may be comfortable sharing their birth experience regardless of what 'type' just so I can learn about how things are done here!
If you don't mind sharing I'd really like to know the following things, plus any other tid bits you think might be helpful!
Thank you so much in advance!

GP, OB, Midwife?
Home, hospital, Birthing center?
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc?
What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned?
What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour?
Are you familiar with the role of a doula?
Did you have one, or would you want one for next time?
Anything else you want to share?

October 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Here is the link to Cameron's birth story...it will give much more detail to the below questions
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ival-long.html

GP, OB, Midwife? OB
Home, hospital, Birthing center? hospital
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? Unmedicated as much as possible, minimal intervention, avoid c-section and avoid use of forceps and vacuum
What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? No
What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? its all in the link
Are you familiar with the role of a doula? yes
Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? DH met my needs in this regard
Anything else you want to share? You may want to check out the natural childbirth board, and Que, the host, is a doula. She is in the US, but based on my knowledge, the role is the same across the border. Also, google doulas in your area...they can answer lots of questions and provide client testemonials (which can include the answers to your questions as well). Can't wait to hear about your journey

FWIW based on my experience I plan to go with a midwife next time, also because my OB said I have a 13% chance of a VBAC which is crap imo.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Last edited by Jessimaaka; October 24th, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added link
October 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for sharing! I really appreciate this! I have done plenty of research about birth and the medical system as it pertains to the US. I am most curious about the role of the nursing staff here in comparison to a doula's role! I am not sure what I think about dh being able to handle it all as hospitals make him so incredibly uncomfortable. I really wish we could pick up our house and moved it like 55 min north, and I'd just do the whole thing at home!
Jessimaaka likes this.

October 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Does it come down to cost for a doula? I was also surprised how much DH stepped it up, so he may surprise you. A nurse is focused on the task at hand and may have several patients while a doula advocates for you and you alone during labour, and has many tricks and tips. They are different roles, so its a personal preference. If you're unsure, perhaps interviewing some and if you don't click with any go from there.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
money isn't the issue in terms of being able to afford it, but more so in the sense that I am fairly frugal, and like to know I'm getting my money's worth out of a service. This being my first it's so hard to know what the experience will be like for me because almost everyone is different. I stress about having one and not needing her, and also about not having one and wishing more than anything that I did.
I think that I will interview a few doulas later on down the road and see if I feel more insight or clarity then!

October 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
GP, OB, Midwife? Midwife, with both

Home, hospital, Birthing center? Hospital with both

What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? Natural

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? with first - yes, with second - nearly (had planned a homebirth but circumstances necessitated an induction, which meant birthing at the hospital. Happily it was gently done and natural after the kickstart)
Her birth store, if you're interested http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ned-debut.html

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? Both times, they only came in when baby was nearly out to be available just in case the MW's needed an extra set of hands. With my first, there were three standing around me and I felt very uncomfortable and exposed. With my second, I told my midwife I wanted as few nurses as possible and for them to stay back unless needed - only one came in (but if you read my birth story, things happened a lot faster than any of us expected so that may have had something to do with it)

Are you familiar with the role of a doula? yes (I've been toying with the idea of becoming one)

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? no. I felt I had ample support from my husband and midwife, plus I have a big mouth so I figured the three of us capable of advocating if needed.

Anything else you want to share? While there are differences between here and the States, there are a lot of similarities too. Canada has more than it's fair share of horror stories (and I don't mean to frighten you by any means because there are wonderful care givers out there but don't assume that we're free of sub par personnel and protocol). I recently attended a gathering concerning rights in childbirth here and around the world. Many of the stories (about/from Canadian women) were atrocious and heartbreaking (this was in Ottawa). That crap happens here too. If I can offer any advice, it's to educate yourself. Know your rights. Be aware of current research, don't be afraid to question anything or demand clear explanation. Sorry for going off on you, it's just this sort of thing is very important to me Best of luck!
crunchywannabe likes this.

Last edited by Corrupt; October 25th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
October 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
GP, OB, Midwife? OB for 1 GP for 3
Home, hospital, Birthing center? Hospital
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? natural for all

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? yes other than 1 being premie
What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? They were there coaching before the birth more, after I did not see them much but I had not stiches for them to check. I also signed myself out after 24 hours so I never stayed in the hospital long.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula? I believe coaching also

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? Funny you ask, because I have thought this myself If there was a next time I would try a doula, but don't think DH would go for that.

Anything else you want to share? Either way you go, plan for changes and have things lined up incase you do have to go to the hospital.

Thank You tasha_mae

October 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
GP, OB, Midwife? OB
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? Natural
What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? No, I ended up getting an epidural but I had been open to that. I also had an episiotomy which I had really hoped to avoid. He also didn't tell me he was going to do it before he did.
What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? My nurse was awesome. She stayed there the whole time pretty much. I wish she could have just delivered the baby and not call the doctor in at the end. Once she called the doctor and his intern another nurse also came in and it was like a circus and I got stressed out.
Are you familiar with the role of a doula? Yes.
Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? No, and I wouldn't have one - my husband is great.
Anything else you want to share? If I were to do it again I probably would go with a midwife for all of the aftercare you get.
October 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
GP, OB, Midwife? OB
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? With DD, plan was for no drugs as long as possible. With DS, I asked for the epidural as soon as possible.
What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? DD's didn't. I was induced and my body wasn't ready and she wasn't ready. They started talking C-section, but I absolutely didn't want that so we finally got her out (with bad tearing). DS's birth was perfect and easy

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? With DD, the birthing unit was packed, so the nurses were running around like crazy. They were young and inexperienced and frustrating more than helpful. With DS, I had the same nurse from start to finish and (because it was so quiet), she stayed with me almost the entire time. She was a tremendous support.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula?Yes
Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? We considered one for my second, but decided against it.

Anything else you want to share? From the stories I've heard about hospital births with midwives, I've learned that if you choose to go this route, you can't be afraid to speak up. I agree with a lot of what Corrupt says. Know your rights and make sure they are respected.
October 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GP, OB, Midwife? GP, Midwife, OB, in that order. If I had to choose I liked my OB the best she was the most relaxed and most willing to go with the flow.

Home, hospital, Birthing center? Hospital for all three, although the midwife with #2 came to our house and we stayed there until things started to go wrong then we transfered to the hospital

What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? First one I planned for as natural as possible. I didn't want continous monitoring, I didn't want and epi etc. Second I planned for a VBAC, also as natural as possible. Third was a planned section.

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? First I ended up with Hyertention so when I got to term they induced me to avoid Pre E, induction didn't work I had a section. Second went South quickly, midwife and OB still aren't exactly sure what happened but the baby lost her heartbeat, the first time they revived her while still in me the second time they did an emergancy section (this is where I learned the difference between an emergancy section and an unplanned section). Third was a planned section because of the first two. It still didn't go as planned and I had a lot of complications.

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? The nurses I had for all three were fantastic, snuck me in things that the docs told me I couldn't have but that I wanted, stood up for me when I didn't agree with what the docs were telling me and explained things I didn't understand. They comforted me when things were going wrong and held my hand, dried my tears and helped through the sections. I truly loved my nurses.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula? Yep

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? Nope, between my husband and the nurses I had no need for one.

Anything else you want to share? Best advice I was ever given, is that it's great to have a birthplan and know what you want because it is your body, but don't get so stuck on it that you can't enjoy the experiance. You should be focusing on the birth of your new baby, not what is or isn't happening according to your birthplan. Also don't be afraid of last minute changes. Sometimes things just don't go according to plans and that's OK as long as you have a healthy baby by the end.

October 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GP, OB, Midwife? OB for 2 births, MW for 4 births.

Home, hospital, Birthing center? 2 hospital births, 4 homebirths

What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? All planned natural births

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? During my first birth, they really pestered me about getting pain meds and I finally gave in during transition. Just one shot of morphine though, I don't think it did anything. I stood up for myself a lot more with my second birth, it was all natural. The 4 home births were all natural water births, as planned.

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? With #1, they didn't stick around much because we had a doula. With #2, our first nurse was pushy. The second one that came on shift was much better, she sensed that we wanted to be left alone and only checked on us once in awhile.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula? Yes.

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? We had one with our first hospital birth, but none after that.

Anything else you want to share? Just always remember that nobody can make you do anything you don't want to. When an intervention is recommended you can always ask "Why?" and "What are my alternatives if I choose to decline this?"
October 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
GP, OB, Midwife? OB
What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? I was open to anything. I didn't make a birth plan because I was not comfortable with hyping myself for a birth that existed only in my mind.
What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? Yes, I had a baby and we both left the hospital in good health
What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? They were helpful but I mostly labored alone in my room with my SO. They were there when needed and for the most part were very nice. I think I had 2 nurses (changed shift right before I started pushing).
Are you familiar with the role of a doula? Yes
Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? No, I did not have one and I'm not interested in it.
Anything else you want to share? Maybe my position isn't the most popular but I wasn't interested in making a huge birthplan, didn't visualize how I wanted it to happen or anything. I just wanted to give birth and suffer the least amount I could. I ended up having to labor in bed because of a (possible that ended up being confirmed) detaching placenta, asking for an epi and pushing for a really long time a big baby that was posterior and I was glad I was in a hospital to do so. The care I had AFTER giving birth left a lot to desire but during childbirth? I was very happy with the support and care I had.

November 2nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Super Mommy
GP, OB, Midwife?
OB with both my previous pregnancies

Home, hospital, Birthing center?
Hospital

What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc?
For the twins I planned on a vaginal birth with pain meds but one was breached so it was a c-section, and with the daughter I wanted a c-section but my Dr wouldnt hear it. Instead I had my daughter vaginally with no pain meds :/

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned?
Three healthy babies but no things didnt go as planned

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour?
The nurses were great when I had the twins but when I had my daughter I must have gotten the nasty shift. I have a low tolerance for pain and I had a few that told me to shut up because I was scaring the other patients. Told her pretty quickly that I didnt give a hoot about the other patients and I didnt see her again. Seemed like there were quite a few of them but I think it was because of a shift change.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula?
I have an idea, but there really isnt any option for one where I live (Nova Scotia) I think the midwife program recently was shut down as well.

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time?
No

Just hope that this time around is a little more my way. Im not as young and more assertive now though
November 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking....

GP, OB, Midwife? DS, nurse for my primary prenatal care, GP 4 weeks before delivery, and Midwife during labor and delivery, and postnatal care in the hospital. DD, same for prenatal and before delivery, and OB for delivery, and OB and midwife for postnatal care.

Home, hospital, Birthing center? Hospital for both

What was your plan for a birth- natural, pain meds, scheduled section etc? Plan was for Natural vaginal delivery with both

What was the result of your birth- did it go as planned? DS went as planned, no assistance, natural delivery at 41 weeks. DD was an emergency c-section at 37 weeks due to her being stressed, heartrate at 240bpm.

What role did nurses play (if hospital birth)-how often did they come in to your room, how long did they stay, were there a lot of them, how did they help with your labour? I didn't see nurses after either delivery during the course of my hospital stay, only the midwives, and my doctor.

Are you familiar with the role of a doula? Yes

Did you have one, or would you want one for next time? No I did not, my midwife for DS was amazing and was great support, as was my birthing coach.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search