Christmas Music Poll

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: When are you ok with Christmas music starting?
All year round 0 0%
Occasionally outside the Christmas season 1 12.50%
Beginning November 1 0 0%
After Remembrance Day 3 37.50%
Beginning December 1 3 37.50%
Beginning December 24 0 0%
I don't listen to Christmas music 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By magz88
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Corrupt
  • 1 Post By ~MamaTutu~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
When do you start listening to Christmas music? I have Shoppers liked on facebook, and they just posted the following:

"Hi everyone, due to recent complaints around the Christmas music being played in stores we want to advise you that as of midnight EST tonight, all Christmas music will be suspended until further notice. We do take customer feedback to heart, and it does lead to change. Thank you for your patience around this and have a fabulous Friday."

It was posted 7 minutes ago and had over 350 comments already!

So when do you start listening to Christmas music?
magz88 likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I like it closer to Christmas not the day after Halloween.
Jessimaaka likes this.
November 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm all about moderation...not exclusively Christmas music, but it helps put me in the mood so I said after Remembrance day...today would be too soon for me! But at the same time, I wouldn't lodge a complaint to the store.

Over 1300 comments in 40 minutes on that blurb!

Jess
November 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now seems a little early to me, I like it closer to the first of December. I wouldn't complain if stores started playing it earlier than that though.

Are the comments for or against their decision?

November 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
A bunch of both for the ones I read. I just can't get over the overwhelming response to it! I didn't realize it was something a lot of people felt strongly about.

Jess
November 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We take Remembrance Day very seriously. There is a serious lack of respect for Canada's veterans and many just see it as a free 'day off'. Out of respect for that day, we don't decorate, or start listening to Christmas music until Nov. 12. I used to say nothing until Dec. 1st, but then I felt like the Christmas season was too rushed. It is nice to sit back and enjoy the pretty decorations and music without the hussel and bussel of people all around.
I don't know what the basis of the complaint to Shoppers was, but I don't just find it annoying, to me it's disrespectful that stores encourage everyone to get caught up in the Holidays, and many forget to take time out on the 11th because of that. If nothing else good for them for taking their customers feedback seriously. I probably wouldn't have complained.... but I do notice when a store doesn't participate in 'Early Onset Christmas Fever'
Jessimaaka likes this.

November 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I agree with leaving it until after Rememberance Day. Personally, though I adore Christmas, I'm not a fan of the music so I try to avoid listening to it. I don't care if stores play it though
Jessimaaka likes this.
November 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For me, the Christmas season has always started December 1st. Until then, I just ignore everything Christmas. It's getting a little harder, since the stores keep putting their Christmas stuff out earlier and earlier. But November is for Remembrance Day and (for those in the States) Thanksgiving.
Jessimaaka likes this.
November 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
We take Remembrance Day very seriously. There is a serious lack of respect for Canada's veterans and many just see it as a free 'day off'. Out of respect for that day, we don't decorate, or start listening to Christmas music until Nov. 12. I used to say nothing until Dec. 1st, but then I felt like the Christmas season was too rushed. It is nice to sit back and enjoy the pretty decorations and music without the hussel and bussel of people all around.
I don't know what the basis of the complaint to Shoppers was, but I don't just find it annoying, to me it's disrespectful that stores encourage everyone to get caught up in the Holidays, and many forget to take time out on the 11th because of that. If nothing else good for them for taking their customers feedback seriously. I probably wouldn't have complained.... but I do notice when a store doesn't participate in 'Early Onset Christmas Fever'
I agree, Remembrance Day is very over looked. Here it isn't even a day off unless you're a government worker. When I tried working in retail we weren't even allowed to pause at 11:00, we had to keep working.

A lot of people feel the same way as you for Christmas decorations and such, I don't put mine up till later but even my friends who put things up early don't do it before Nov 12.

November 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Christmas music and Christmas is my absolute favourite holiday season but I do find it too early to be playing it in stores. I think it's crazy that they start pumping Christmas commercials on TV and the radio starting November 1st. I have a couple of songs I'll listen to all year because they're instrumental versions and I love them but other than that I don't listen to anything else until the Toronto Santa Clause Parade. That's the day we start decorating and I'm off like a shot into the season.

Tags
christmas

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search