The Men

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By mccaroline
  • 1 Post By ~MamaTutu~
  • 1 Post By Countrymom4
  • 2 Post By magz88
  • 1 Post By #5in2005
  • 2 Post By Corrupt

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Tell us a little bit about your SO.

Kenny and I are high-school sweethearts (although how we met is different since we went to different high schools), and we have been together for almost 10 years, married for 2. He is a truck driver, transporting dangerous goods. He is mostly local (local means pretty much anywhere within about 6 hours ) but he's usually gone one night a week. He has done trips out East to NB, but not lately, and hopefully won't for a little bit longer while we have such a small infant. So I'm alone sometimes but its not so bad. And he gets a break from us
magz88 likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I met when I was 16 and he was 19 working at a children's summer camp. he was a reservist in the army, and took some time off one summer to be the camp's riflery instructor.

We started dating the following winter, and were married 1 yr and 5 days after that! (seriously who get's married at 18...just crazyness!)

He volunteered for his first deployment in early 2008. with 6 months of training at a base 2 hours away so after less than 3 months of marriage I only saw him on the weekends for those 6 mo. Then he was overseas for 9 months.

He came home and I think it's safe to say we had some 'adjustment issues' within a year he was training for the second deployment, only this time it was in Ont. so it was as if he was deployed. He trained out there for another 6 months, and then was overseas this time for 6 months in 2010.

Prior to his 2nd tour he applied with CBSA (customs) and when he came home he worked full time with his unit for almost a year before finally being accepted into their training program!

After being away on countless exercises, courses, deployments and training (literally away more than he's been home in the past 5+ years) he is finally home pretty much full time! (still the occasional few weeks here and there away with CBSA training). It has really done wonders for our marriage!

I am super proud of him, and everything he's given up to provide for me and our little bebe! I couldn't imagine trying to do life with anyone else!
Jessimaaka likes this.

November 21st, 2012, 05:28 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I met DH when we were 13 in highschool, he was dating my best friend at the time. We became friends and started dating each other in our last year of highschool 4 years later. He proposed to me New Years Eve 2000, we had a 2 year engagement and have now been married 10 years.

Not much to say about him, he's been laid off since summer so I have no great work stories about him. As much as he's great with the kids and I love the extra time we've had together, I'm ready for him to have a job again.
Jessimaaka likes this.

November 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, everyone is with their high school sweethearts. That's amazing! My high school bf was a total jerk. Life would not have been good if we had been together...

I met my DH when I was 24, on a blind date. We moved in together a year later and then were married the year after that. We got pregnant with DD after I finished my BEd and moved into home.

DH works from home for a company in Texas. His office is in the basement, but DS and I see him a lot during the day. He travels to Texas once every 2 months for a couple of days. I find the week he is gone to be so long. I can't imagine being on my own for months at a time. I would go crazy!
Jessimaaka likes this.
November 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
That must be tough with him being home all the time. 5 years ago, my friend was pregnant and her DH was in a bad car accident, he was home the whole time she was and it definitely took some adjusting.

Interesting how the other ones all spend time away from home as well.

Jess
November 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
DH and I meet when we were 18 and married when we were 21. We bought a farm together when we were 20

We have a feedlot so DH is home with us . The boys often go out with dad in the mornings to do chores. We always have dinner together and we love it.
Jessimaaka likes this.

November 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
^^^ How in the world did you afford a farm at 20? Wow!

DH and I met about 3.5 years ago when I moved across the street from him. I thought he was good looking but we didn't start seeing each other until about a year later. He was going through a bad time in his life - not working, drinking a lot, living with his mum. I saw he was a good guy and made him jump through a few hoops before I was sure he wasn't going to backslide (at least he hasn't so far)! Now he has a good paying job, drinks responsibly and lives with me! I made him rent a place in between living with his mother and living with me. He never actually slept there, but he moved all of his things there and paid rent there. It was symbolic.

He moved in last May and we were married this May.
Countrymom4 and Jessimaaka like this.
November 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I first met dh when I was 12 or so (I don't remember it, but he does). We started dating when I was 15, he was 18. We got married when I was 19, (17 years ago on saturday). We lived next to my inlaws for 11 months (EEK) and then bought a dairy farm and that's what he's been doing for work since then. So he is home, and that's nice.
Jessimaaka likes this.
November 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Aww, I love these stories

Jess
November 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
Maggie, I hope you don't mind me saying so but your husband is such a cutie!

DH and I met in a Calgary pub. I was 19 and newly moved from Ontario, he was 24 and from Newfoundland; he'd been living in Edmonton (he had some family there) but had recently accepted a transfer to the new office his company was opening. He was a communications technician and that was his first job out of college.
He sat at my table but didn't talk to me the first time we were introduced by a regular, he later told me it was because he thought I was gorgeous and didn't want to seem like a goober by hitting on me. That was 10 years ago this month He moved in with me in the new year, as we were always at his place or mine and it was silly to rent two dwellings.
We were married 5 years ago, after a 2 year engagement. We moved to Ontario 4 years ago; his company had recently eStablished an office in Ottawa and was able to transfer again.
He's been with them for 13 years now, I believe. His job description has changed yearly since we got here - now he's engineer/system designer/sales/project manager...little bit of everything lol (this office was new and has been working the bugs out). He works a pretty steady 40 hours. He's late every once in a while because they do a lot of government stuff here and they expect everyone to work around their schedule so sometimes he has to deal with that. Also, he spends a few days out of town here and there for courses but he's home evenings and weekends most of the time.
He's my best friend, an amazing husband and father and while I miss him when he's gone, I'd probably bury him in my compost heap in short order if he were home all the time
Jessimaaka and magz88 like this.
November 22nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
Maggie, I hope you don't mind me saying so but your husband is such a cutie!
Thanks, I think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
He's my best friend, an amazing husband and father and while I miss him when he's gone, I'd probably bury him in my compost heap in short order if he were home all the time
You're too funny.

Tags
relationships

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search