.::December Chat Thread::.

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2012, 06:12 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Venting because I can't say anything to DH but I need to get it out.

I always go out of my way to make sure gifts that I get for kids are age appropriate, I even try to get things that are a little a head of the kids age so that the kids aren't board with it. Like say a child is 5 at Christmas and their birthday is in the spring, I'd look for a gift that is either for 5+ or 6+ but I wouldn't get a gift that is for below the child's age. My SILs apparently don't think the same way. Both DDs got gifts that are below their age group. My 5 year old got gifts that are for 3+ and my almost 9 year old got gifts that are for 5+. Yes I know that they put the + on there and that means that older kids can play with them too, but they are things that my girls played with when they were 3 and 5, they aren't interested in those things anymore. We offered them both ideas of things the girls would like, but they both said they had already purchased the gifts, and it's not like they don't see the girls to know what they like, we all live 10 minutes away from each other and see each other regularly. Why can't they get something my girls would be interested in so its not just another toy to sit the playroom and never get used?

OK, end rant, I feel better now. Cookies to anyone who read all the way through it.
magz88 likes this.

December 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That sucks balls. People don't listen. I'm sorry they got things they've outgrown. Is there any way to exchange them for something more age appropriate? Although I'm guessing by now everything is out of the boxes. I always hated getting something that the starting age was younger than what I was, it felt like they were saying I was acting more like that age. Is it possible to put a reminder in your phone in like September next year to go give them ideas before they go out and buy something?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
December 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
They apparently shop all year, I started offering them ideas at the end of August this year when we were at a big family camping trip together. Yes pretty much everything is out of boxes now. The only thing that isn't out of it's box came from a clearance or discount store because you can see where the tag was, so its not returnable. It's just too bad that the girls will play with it for a couple of days then never again.

December 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Wow, that's so early! That sucks Is there any way when you guys get together to start putting hints out there? And then after those few days, those items take up space It sucks for sure.

Jess
December 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
The only thing I can do is when they stop playing with them the girls can sell them on Kijiji and use the money towards something they do like.
Jessimaaka and magz88 like this.

December 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Smart! I was going to say garage sale but kijiji is awesome. I got a PS3 at Shoppers for DH for Christmas and it came with a game called Uncharted 3. DH prefers racing games, so I have the game on kijiji. I posted it yesterday, it should be gone tonight, and I am going to buy Cam some bath toys with the cash!

Jess
December 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
DS said "Love You" to me for the first time tonight!! I haven't stopped smiling! I love hearing those words.
Jessimaaka and magz88 like this.

December 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
That is SOOOO exciting!!!!! It must make you melt a bit inside!

Jess
December 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I'm just stopping in while on the run. Up at 6 this morning, at the rink for warm ups then a game, DD1 got a hat trick and we won! Watched a Canada vs France U19 game Canada won!! During half time of the game DD1 got asked out on the ice to play a game and won a stuffed moose with a ringette shirt, 2 posters and a cute bag to put it all in. One more warm up and game just after lunch and DD1 scored another 4 goals, but we lost. Then we had to pick up a gift for my oldest nephew, we're grabbing a quick bite to eat now and we're off to my SIL's for cake and ice cream for said nephews birthday.

I'm ready for bed already. Guess what, we get to do all but the birthday again tomorrow! I love tournament weekends.

December 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hope they do well in the tournament!!!!

My sister made it from Victoria BC to South-western Ontario in 3 days! My dad flew out on the night of the 25th, they drove on the 26th, 27th and 28th. I got a phone call at 7pm last night that they got here!!! They did in a 2 seater mercedes soft-top. In December. Brave!

Jess
December 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM
That's awesome! We were just talking tonight about how long it would be to drive from Ontario to BC, I guess now we know. But in a soft top? They are brave! Hope you have a great visit with them.

December 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
That is so sweet that your son told you that he loves you!

That is odd that they don't buy age appropriate or above gifts!! Hmmm.

Theo is getting very close to being able to roll over. His sitting skills are getting better too.

I just reserved our king room with whirlpool tub and fireplace for January 26! My Mum is going to come down and watch Theo along with Rich's Mum who lives across the road.

That is exciting that your sister is back, Jess!
December 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, she didn't pick the best time of year, but she's a nurse and she'd have to rewrite a bunch of tests if she did in 2013.

I wish it was just a visit...I love my sister but I can only handle her in small doses

Jess
December 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It is snowing like CRAZY here today, the kids are so excited!
December 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
We have about 7cm on the ground right now - YAY!

I wish we still got feet of snow like when I was younger. Its not the same

Jess
December 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We haven't in past years, but I bet there's 2.5 ft outside right now!
December 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Went to my parents for dinner....all 4 of my younger siblings live at home right now. They range in age from 19-26. Adding my sister that just got back in (she's 26, and house hunting), the volume went up like 100x. And Cam somehow managed to sleep through it all

Jess
December 30th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oh! She's back back! LOL! Well, umm, at least you don't live at home anymore so you can escape when she drives you crazy.

My busy weekend is over. I'm ready for bed, but I have to get a few things cleaned up first. I'm looking after my friends kids for her tomorrow since her husband is doing a training and she's working.

December 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
It never ends! I need to empty the dishwasher and fold the laundry from today. Instead I'm on JM and watching the Sons of Anarchy marathon on FXCanada.

Jess
December 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I know that feeling. I have a sink full of dishes waiting for me, we've been so busy that I haven't washed a single dish all weekend, and since our dishwasher is broken they are all still waiting. Problem is, I'm finally sitting in a comfy spot (rather than a hard bleacher) and I'm too tired to care.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search