~January Chat Thread~

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I remember I saved for devil sticks (oh goodness!), and I took such good care of them. I was super mad though that when we went to get mine, my dad bought my brother and sister a set each while I spent my hard-earned money.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, that's not nice. I would have been mad too!

The only thing I'm not sure is fair is that both girls have been saving the same amount of time. But DD1 got a few double gifts for her birthday so when we returned those gifts instead of buying similar gifts she put the money towards her camera. So she already has the thing she's been saving for while DD2 will still be saving for a long time for what she wants.

January 29th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Alright ladies, we beat December's posts in the chat thread, but can we double the number?? We're only 31 post away from it, come one join me and lets make it a double!

January 29th, 2013, 06:10 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
All right, Caroline.

Today we had library meet and then this afternoon I had two more fillings done.

Rich is currently playing guitar for Theo. They both are having an awesome time.

We just started to watch the show 'Damages' this week on Netflix - it's pretty good, we are hooked.

Does your daughter have a lot of badges in Brownies - Caroline? I think I only got 3 or 4.
January 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM
That's so cute. I wish anyone in my family was musical.

Ugg, to more dental work.

Our Brown Owl doesn't like badge work so she makes it really hard for the girls to get any. The program has changed so there aren't as many to get in the first place but its sad to see the girls get so few. I keep trying but I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall. It's only a two year program now too, so if she wants to get any at all she's going to have to get her tush in gear this spring and do them at home.

January 29th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Brownies was 3 years when I was in it...and I know my sash was covered with badges - we had to do them at home and my mom made sure I worked on lots each time. I also wore the brown dress, they were just bringing in the pants and shirt when I flew up to Guides.

Ew for dental work, not a fan at all!

It is 10:35 and Cameron is still up fighting sleep...I put him in his mamaroo for a bit hoping he will go to sleep but now he's singing

Jess
January 30th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Same thing when I was in Brownies, brown dresses and knee socks, we still even had the brown bloomers. Pants were only for camp until I hit Pathfinders. I loved working on badges.

Now there are "Keys" that are supposed to be worked on as a group, some of the Keys also complete a badge. Then there are interest badges the girls can work on at home and bring in, but Brown Owl never sets up any nights for when the girls can bring in badge work, doesn't tell the girls about the badges and doesn't offer books to anyone. Parents can't go the store and buy the books anymore either, they have to be ordered through a centeral warehouse in Toronto with a $7 shipping fee for a $5 book.

The uniforms just had yet another makeover this year too. They are now blue pants with a blue shirt that has trim in whatever colour your unit is, so pink trim for Sparks, brown trim for Brownies, dark blue trim for Guides etc.

January 30th, 2013, 07:32 AM
That's silly!!!! Why can't she order a couple copies for everyone to share? That's frustrating.

New uniforms again...crazy! If I have a girl in the future, she is so going to be in it. I have a few friends I made at camps that I still stay in contact with and a few of them are leaders now, its neat to see

Jess
January 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
LOL! Because that would require her to be organized and keep track of who gets what badge. The woman can barely remember to order enrollment pins, and doesn't order service pins. At the end of the year I'm going to order what I believe the girls have done this year and give the out myself. I've taken over keeping track of the badges this year too.

January 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We had the brown dresses in Brownies too, and mom and dad ordered a matching dress for my Barbie The year before I was old enough for Girl Guides though, they cancelled the program in my area They still haven't brought it back! So the girls here do Scouts now.
January 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM
That is good of you to take the initiative to get the girls their badges, Caroline.

Chantelle - that is so cute that your Barbie had a matching dress.

We are having sweet and sour pork stirfry tonight for dinner. Yum!
Tonight is one of my gym nights and I am going to work on running.
January 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
That's awesome that your barbie had a matching uniform! Too bad they cancelled the programs there. If you ever hear about girls who are interested in Guiding instead of Scouting, there is a program called Lones that is made just for girls of any age who don't have units within driving distance. Badges come through the mail, there are online actvities, etc. It's a pretty neat program.

I took the kids out to supper at my parent's tonight. It was so night to sit and relax and have supper made for me. It was a good supper too, ribs, corn and potatoes.

January 30th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Caroline, that is so nice of you. Its unfortunate the leader isn't doing her job. It is a volunteer position, but if she isn't able to do it, she should let someone else.

Mmm, those dinners sound good. I made pork schnitzel and we had a corn and edemame 'salad' (corn, edemame, diced red peppers, with olive oil, vinegar, some garlic allspice and a bit of lemon pepper). It was a gamble but it was delicious and will be made again. I try to make 'salads' once or twice a week and make a big batch to use for several meals. It makes the prep a bit easier.

Jess
January 30th, 2013, 07:03 PM
mmm, that salad sounds good!

I'm a leader in the same unit, that's why I've taken over the badges. I know Brown Owl is getting worn out she's been leading since I was a kid. She's seen a lot of changes and isn't happy with most of them. I've offered to take over as Brown Owl but she's not quite ready to retire yet.

January 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I didn't end up going to the gym because the assignment I had to do took longer than expected.

I ended up going to Shoppers to get DH some Neo-Citran. It's 3 km round trip and I ran 1 km of it so that's better than nothing. I forgot how hard it is to run outside though!! My throat was on fire. I usually just run on the treadmill.
January 30th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
Its that cold dry air thats a killer.

I have so much pressure on my cervix atm its killing me. I didnt even have this much pressure with the twins!

*Sigh* only 5 weeks to go at least
January 31st, 2013, 07:35 AM
Hopefully she lets you or someone start taking over more so the kids get the full experience, regardless of the changes in the past years.

Good for running Maggie!

Kelz88 - 5 more weeks, that's so exciting!!!!! And yay for being team green!!! I was team green and would love to do it again, it is such an amazing moment in the delivery room.

Jess
January 31st, 2013, 08:21 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaroline View Post
That's awesome that your barbie had a matching uniform! Too bad they cancelled the programs there. If you ever hear about girls who are interested in Guiding instead of Scouting, there is a program called Lones that is made just for girls of any age who don't have units within driving distance. Badges come through the mail, there are online actvities, etc. It's a pretty neat program.
That does sound like a neat program! I'll have to look into that!

Just made the kids lunch.. getting things together for my first day in the office tomorrow- nervous!
January 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Good luck tomorrow. Are you starting a new job or going back to work after mat leave?

January 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM
Good luck Chantelle! I'm sure you'll do amazing

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search