Daycare Question

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mccaroline

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I think almost if not all of you are SAHM but figured I'd throw this out there. I'm returning to work in September, and am starting to look for daycare. I've found prices from $30/day up to $41/day for in-home daycare. I'm guessing this is a regional thing, but anyone know the going rate range in your area? Just curious.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 1st, 2013, 06:00 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I charge $35/day for anyone up to school age and $30/day for JK age and older. Thats for a 9 hour day. I charge a little more if you need longer days than that.

January 1st, 2013, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I ran a home daycare when my daughter was at home and charged $35/day for 1+ years and $40 for infants. I charged on the low end for our area.
January 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM
Wow Caroline! I didn't know you ran one right now! You are busy, woman!

For both of you, what influenced your pricing? I've found things all over the map, ones with an ECE background on the lower range, ones brand new with no experience/training on the higher range, established long-term ones low-mid. All provide meals/snacks (thank goodness).

Basically I am looking for someone I feel comfortable with, but don't want to feel I'm getting ripped off just because I gel with her.

Any input would be very much appreciated I'm so happy to find people on the other side! So far I've just been talking to friends who have completed their search. I just don't want to be an annoying potential client either!

Jess
January 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've been on both sides of this, when my oldest two were in daycare, it was $45/day for both of them (would have been $30 for one child). I charged $25-$30/day depending on hours. In my area, private childcare is a bit cheaper than daycare.
January 2nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think what your finding is pretty common. Lots of new start ups will try to charge more because they think it's an easy way to stay home and make a buck. Then they realize that they need things for the daycare start up and raise their prices. More established people will charge a little less because they already have what they need, and know what it takes.

I'm pretty middle of the road for prices around here. I've got everything I need as far as set up goes, as in car seats for a variety of age groups, cubbies for all the kid's belongings, highchairs, etc. so I'm not covering those costs anymore. I've figured out how to make a decent meal plan without costing a small fortune to feed 5 kids. I also don't run a set program, I let the kids play and lead what they want to do. We
don't do a lot outings except to play at the park, go to a Wednesday morning playgroup and walk to the library during warmer months. I have the belief that home care should be more flexable than center care so I don't charge when your child isn't here, I give sibling discounts, I try to work with short notice schedules and schedule changes, things like that.

I know people who do an actual routine with circle time, craft time, outdoor time ect all planned out charge more because they run it more like a center. They also charge for holiday time, are less likely to give sibling discounts and want a set schedule at least 2 weeks ahead of time.

My suggestion to you is to think about what you want from a daycare provider first. Childbase play vs scheduled routine. Lots of trips and outings vs staying in the home. All organic meals vs child friendly meals. Etc. Then go meet some people who you think might fit what you're looking for. Remember that as a provider we're looking at you and how well you will mesh with the families we already have as much as you are looking at us. But we expect you to come meet us, bring lots of questions, see our homes, some will even let your child stay for a day or two to see how it goes.

Sorry this got so long, if you have more specific questions feel free to ask me.
Jessimaaka likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
Awesome! Thank you!

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search