Cross Canada Roadtrip with a Bebe

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok ok, now you all got my hopes up and I'm trying to figure out how I could make this work!

The pre baby plan was to roadtrip from Manitoba, to at least Nova Scotia (possibly all the way to the rock), with stops in PEI, and possibly to see a few friends in S.E. Ont. We'd dip down into the states until at least Windsor, to shave off a little time, and give us better highways, with the possibility of going through Chicago(probably not high on dh's list, but I wouldn't mind, as I have a friend there!-also wouldn't be heartbroken if we didn't take that route) At the time I was thinking about a 2 week trip, really motoring on the way there, and then spending some time enjoying the coast, and then sight see a little more coming home.

Now that baby enters the mix I totally thought there's no way we could do it! But NOW I'm second guessing.... way to go ladies... it's all YOUR fault!

Have you ever done a long roadtrip with a small baby... I was thinking around 3 months, but also the fall might be a nice time to go too, so around 4 or 5 months. Would it be a 'the younger the better' kind of situation?

DH is taking parental leave, so we could go for longer, but of course unless we stay with friends (which would only be an option for 1 or 2 nights, that could be expensive.... and camping all the way there with a newborn is obviously more complicated (although taking a tent and a pack n play may be an option for some nights...) I'd really prefer staying in hotels the majority of the trip...

Oh Lord, someone talk me out of this!!!! I fear I've hit my head and don't remember what part of my brain controls my sanity!

I would obviously have to make this a wait and reassess once the baby is born topic, but by not taking it off the table completely I don't know what to think of myself!

January 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Hahaha, sorry to do that to you!

I just went and checked my friend's pictures from her trip and she didn't say anything on there so it must have been a message discussion we had. Basically, she was nervous at first doing it (they went from SW Ontario to Halifax), and I think it took 2.5 days to get down there? She stopped about every 3 hours since Tessa slept longer in the carseat than normal. She would also sit in the back and keep her amused sometimes. They stayed in hotels. I think they took about 10 days, so about half-ish was travel. I know they only have a car so they were able to fit everything they needed in car (vs a truck or SUV).

My sister and dad just finished driving from BC to SW Ontario and they dropped into the states...Motel 6 was $32 a night, which might be cheaper than camping at some points

We sometimes just strap Cam in, grab the dog, and go for like a 3 hour drive with no destination. He does really good at 4.5 months too so I wouldn't be too concerned if you go in the fall as well. But this is something we've done pretty much since birth so Cam is pretty used to being in the car, so maybe getting them used to the car early?

I hope you get to go!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 3rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol. All Dh said when I brought this up tonight when he got home from work, was 'who the hell were you talking to?' lol...

We are 1 hour from the hospital we plan to deliver at, 2 hours from the one I may end up delivering at incase of further complications... 2 hours from Dh's mom and 3 hours from my parents... If nothing else I think this will be one well traveled child

Shockingly enough dh agreed to play the wait and see game, if baby tolerates the car seat well (which honestly most babies I know do, although I'm prepared for the chance they may not) we may just end up doing it. What I like about doing it now too is that we can be flexible with time. If we take an extra day or two on the front or back end of the trip thats ok because dh has plenty of time off!!!

I am hoping to really take a minimalist approach, simple comfy clothes that can be washed once or twice on the trip. I would also really be counting on exclusive breastfeeding to be going well.

I'm just so excited that dh didn't shoot me down right away! I thought for sure I'd have to drug him before we'd be able to have a real conversation about it! now we just wait and see!

January 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Haha, I'm glad!!!

At least its not a "absolutely no way"

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I haven't travelled that far, but Hannah and I made a trip to ON a few weeks ago, about 14 hours of driving and she did amazing!
January 3rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, the closest I've come is driving from Ontario to Disney with a 7 month old, 4 year old and 8 year old. We stopped every 2-3 hours and it took us 2.5 days to get there, spent 2 weeks in Disney and 2.5 days back. It was insane, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

January 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Sounds like it'll be an adventure.
January 5th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, get baby used to car travel early is my advice, we've travelled in the vehicles alot in the summertime camping down South, but never with a baby that small-but its been done. I'd push for hotels rather than tenting with a baby, though

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search