Idle No More?

Forum: Canadian Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 1 Post By Kelz88

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Canadian Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is this making news across the country? It's the movement started on the Prairies with all kinds of flashmobs, road and rail blockades and protests here there and everywhere... I won't get into the political debate side of it, although I will say I feel the whole message has been completely lost as I have spent significant time trying to find out why they are upset, with no real idea of what's going on. Dh seems to think it's somehow environmentally based, but the upset comes from the rights to land and $$. I'm very confused.

But have you been effected by any blockades or protests in your area?

We had a lot of family members late to our Christmas celebration because #1 Hwy traffic was re-routed to make space for one of their blockades, and I have changed shopping plans twice because protests etc were being held in the city and I don't have patience to deal with that.

Not that I paid much attention, but at least I partially understood the Occupy movement last year... I'm just generally irritated and confused by this.

January 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I've never even heard of this. It hasn't made its way to Southern Ontario that I know of at this point. I also live under a rock when it comes to some things though...

Sounds super frustrating though. Its worse when you can't figure out what the purpose is.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 11th, 2013, 08:08 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It hasn't hit here (yet), but I've seen it on the news and DH has been talking about it. I agree though, the message has been totally lost.
January 11th, 2013, 08:37 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
There are a LOT of things that Harper is trying to pass through on that bill that I am not cool with. The aboriginal aspect is just one of them. There is also a deal with China that allows that country much too much power plus I am sure a lot of other things that suck.

I am glad that the native people are bringing attention to this bill. It will not just affect them but ALL Canadians.

I wish I knew what I could do to make him stop.
January 11th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats the issue I'm having... If I understood what specifically it came down to I could make a decision to support 'the cause' or not. But all I see/hear are hunger strikes, money mismanagement on reserves, really inconvenient road blocks, and flash mobs.... Even the signs aren't helpful. Standing on the road with an anti Harper sign, or an 'Idle No More' sign doesn't inform me as to why you're upset.

I tried reading up on the specific bill separately and wasn't able to make sense of it all. lol I like clarity... Protesters should be required to have signs like 'We want rights to 1000 acres of land next to Winnipeg!' or 'We deserve $50000 in grants to educate our people!' or whatever! Just tell me what you want and leave it at that!
#5in2005 and Countrymom4 like this.

January 11th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Super Mommy
Sadly not every single reserve needs the same things. My reserve just needs funding for education mostly, were in the middle of a city and pretty well off compared to most reserves.

We have power, clean water, and access to jobs and such, whereas some reserves and in the middle of hell fk nowhere and have zero access to fresh water, electricity, proper plumming etc. Jobs are just not there, so they rely on the land to make a livelyhood hunting, fishing, etc. Harper wants to start messing with hundreds of year old treaties and well that just doesnt go well. He is taking that away from them.

Cant wait for next elections, so many things have disappointed me about Harper. I will be happy to check any other box tbh.

PS. Im mi'kmaq
January 12th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When explained I think it would make more sense to the general population. I'm only disappointed that it's viewed as nothing more than an inconvenience, based on little more than poor marketing and some really bad P.R.

I spent about an hour watching interviews etc with some of the 'experts' on the subject and got nothing out of it!

MB is experiencing a really bad blizzard right now.. hwys are closed right across the province... the weather closing the highways has had about as much impact on the public's view of this matter as the blockades have unfortunately.

January 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM
So last night on the news there was a brief piece on this, a protest in a city about 20 minutes from me. I think I'll end up seeing it pop up everywhere now.

Jess
January 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
i don't understand it all either, But in the same boat Kalynn i see alot of abuse of the money given.

January 13th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Super Mommy
Id say another bit of advice would be to ignore spence. She got what she wanted and continues this charade. I have ZERO pity for a reserve that wastes a couple HUNDRED million dollars for housing and has zero paperwork to even begin to say where it went. If thats not corruption, I really dont know what is :/
magz88 likes this.
January 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
A lot of things get generalized in the news, which is unfortunate and can skew, cloud or even obliterate the message. Very frustrating.

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search